Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zip syncs only after restart

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I have windows 7 on desktop Dell. Have had no issues ever until recently. Fitbit Zip only syncs when I restart it by removing battery and waiting a minute and replacing. Also Synced it a couple of minutes after midnight and zip displayed duplicate steps from previous day when it should have been zero since i was at computer for the a few minutes prior to midnight until a few minutes after and didn't take any steps.

Moderator edit: title for clarity

Best Answer
109 REPLIES 109

Hi @R_D_____, thanks getting back to share your experience. At this moment we don't have more details about this, please feel to get back to our support team if you need more help with your Zip or your wife's Zip. We'll let you know as soon as we get a fix for this, since not all scenarios are the same.

@alnotatwork Welcome to the Forums. Thanks for sharing your information here and for trying those step, what model of phone are you using? If you need me to open a case for you I'll be around.

@sunnyonlinemail Is always great to have new members. Sorry about all the hard work that you've done in order to help your Zip. We're currently investigating why is this happening with some Zip users to see if we have share some workaround for you. In the mean time we try all the steps that you already did, and as a last resource our team takes the case under their wings. 

@Frog389 Nice to see you aboard. Thanks for sharing your experience. I've requested a case for you, our team will be contacting you via email shortly, They will give you a hand with this issue your having with your Zip.

I'll be around in case that you need anything else.

Want to get more active? ᕙ(˘◡˘)ᕗ Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Forums.

Comparte tus sugerencias e ideas para nuevos dispositivos Fitbit ✍ Sugerencias para Fitbit.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Fair comment @YojanaFitbit - I look forward to hearing about any workaround - you know what we're having to do to get our steps synchronised, so any improvement on that issue will be a huge relief.....or you could allow me to Sync my garmin steps with Fitbit - that'd be great 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

I only to to sync with my Mac.  In order to sync I have to take the battery out and restart.  Been happening for about a month or so.  I simply go through the process once a week.  I wish I could say anything good about fitbit support but I can't.  I've had a fitbit zip for several years and there have been syncing problems for at lest 2 of the 3 years.  Sometimes they get around to fixing them. . . and sometimes not.

Best Answer

You asked what model of phone I am using.  I'm not sure why.  I'm linked to a desktop PC running Windows 10.  No mobile devices involved. 

Best Answer

Welcome to the forums @sunnyonlinemail@nitrodave and @alnotatwork. It's nice to see you here. 

Thank you for your feedback and comments @sunnyonlinemail. Currently, I don't have more troubleshooting steps to share with you. Could you please tell me which device are you using to sync your Zip? Currently Garmin and Fitbit steps can't be synced.

Thank you for your comments @nitrodave. I'm sorry you aren't able to say something positive about Fitbit support and that you have to follow those steps every week. I appreciate your comments. Out team works to improve our products and services.

@alnotatwork, thank you for the clarification. Does your computer have native Bluetooth? Do you get a message error when you try syncing your device? How often do you sync your Zip?

I'll be waiting for your response.

Best Answer
0 Votes
No bluetooth on my older PC, but I do have the USB port plug-in device. No
error messages received. I try to sync once/day. I have found a
"work-around" When I open the Fitbit program from my list of installed
programs rather than through the website, a little zip icon appears. If I
click on that I get another zip icon to click on that then has "sync now"
option. That works if I hold the zip close to the USB device. Much better
than pulling the battery so often. I can't imagine that is very good for
the zip device - doesn't appear to be engineered for frequent battery
removals/replacements. It actually synced by itself once today - maybe
it's learning???
Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for getting back to us and for sharing your workaround @alnotatwork. I apologize for the delayed response and appreciate your feedback. 

Fitbit Zip should sync without removing the battery every time. Out team works to improve the customer experience. 

Keep on visiting the forums. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
It's been 2 months, no fix in sight...
Best Answer

Hello. I just started using my Fitbit zip a month ago and I paired it with my Note 9. Everything was working just fine until my note 9 did a software update to 9.0 PIE on 1-31-19. Then immediately it would not sync without pulling the battery. My guess it's a software compatibility issue...I hope android or Fitbit will come up with a resolution.

Best Answer

Still having the same problem. If the only way to get help is to open a case then open one for me.  You obviously will have a ton of cases open for the same thing!

Moderator edit: word choice.

Best Answer
Holding the fitbit very close to the syncing device does not work for
syncing with the PC or mobile device by the way, you have to pull the
battery out to achieve anything. Opening a case is a warranty check on your
device, that is all. There are obviously larger issues with these devices
and no software solutions being worked on or planned anytime soon...
Best Answer

Thank you for your feedback and comments @R_D_____. Fitbit team works on software solutions in order to fix bugs and issues.

Welcome to the forums @missbev21. Thank you for letting us know that you have to remove your Zip's battery in order to sync it. Have you tried troubleshooting steps @YojanaFitbit has shared with us. Maybe with next update this issue gets resolved. 

@mmaye, I have created a case on your behalf and a customer support representative will contact you soon.

I'll be here if you have more questions. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
I have tried everything that was recommended.  I got an email that said everything looks good but that's not true. No one asked any questions or checked anything so I have no idea why they think everything is all good now. Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S9, an AT&T 5G Evolution smartphone
Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for getting back to us @mmaye. I apologize for the delayed response and will be glad to continue assisting you. Thank you for letting us know that you have tried everything that was recommended. 

Please respond to the email you received with your concerns and everything you have tried so far in order to let our team member assist you in a better way. 

Let me know how it goes. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

My zip was working fine with my Huawei. P20 Pro until last week. Now I have to take the battery our of the zip to sync. Please just fix this! There are so many people with this problem with different phones 

Best Answer

Welcome to the Fitbit Community @kazredhead. I apologize for the delayed response and thank you for your comments. 

Our team works to improve product performance.

Best Answer
0 Votes

It would be very helpful to get a response that could lead one to believe that fitbit was working specifically to resolve the the syncing issues with the zip

Best Answer

Thanks for getting back to us @nitrodave. Our team works in order to improve products and services but they don't tell us in which product they are working specifically. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Adding my hat to the ring on this. Samsung Galaxy S9 (NOT the plus). Also had the issue with my old Nexus 5, although it would usually eventually sync without pulling the battery. Stopped using it for about a year when I was using a Charge 2 which worked flawlessly. Switched to a Samsung watch so had to go back to the Zip, which continued to be hit and miss with syncing, but never had to pull the battery. When I updated my phone to Pie a few days ago, the sync stopped entirely without a battery pull, as others have described (works for 15 mins or so after a battery pull, then nada).

Maybe backdoor Samsung Health into Fitbit? If you want to continue to get my data, it appears that'll be your only option unless you can get the Zip issue fixed.

Best Answer
0 Votes

With all due respect, is there a line of management you can take this up with to get a more substantial answer from your development teams?  For some of us, it has now been 3 months+ that a device purchased from Fitbit has been unusable.  This should not be considered an acceptable circumstance, and at the very least an ETA for a fix would be appreciated it.  

Best Answer