Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zip syncs only after restart

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I have windows 7 on desktop Dell. Have had no issues ever until recently. Fitbit Zip only syncs when I restart it by removing battery and waiting a minute and replacing. Also Synced it a couple of minutes after midnight and zip displayed duplicate steps from previous day when it should have been zero since i was at computer for the a few minutes prior to midnight until a few minutes after and didn't take any steps.

Moderator edit: title for clarity

Best Answer
109 REPLIES 109

3 months and Fitbit can not confirm that they are even working on the problem...

Best Answer

Pretty darn disgusting.  By the looks of their facebook page and this forum, they've created a LOT of ill will, and lost quite a few customers.  It's got to be about more than profit.  Satisfied customers mean a lot.

Best Answer

Man, glad I found this forum thread.

I just set up my mother-in-law with a brand new Fitbit Zip. Pixel device (just like all of you). Same issue. After a day of her walking, I could only get it to sync after pulling the battery.

This thread is way too old for it to not be resolved yet. I am not playing this game, especially since she's non-technical. Just processed an RMA and cancelled my own order (I have a Pixel 3). 

Best Answer

I was also having the same problem with my Fitbit Zip syncing to my Galaxy S9.  For awhile, I thought it was because my batteries were dying too quickly (which is possible back then because they were very old batteries), but ever since the update to Android Pie, even brand new batteries did not work, except for when I take them out and put them back in. I have been doing that everyday to get it sync for about 3 weeks now.  I do have the "All Day Sync" and "Always Connected" enabled and made sure my Fitbit App was updated, and nothing worked except the battery pull. After reading everyone's replies here, I decided to see if there was another update on the App and there was, so I updated it, but still didn't sync until I did the battery pull.  Then I decided to remove my Zip from the account and then had it added back.  Then I restarted my phone.  It is working now and has continued to work (still on "All Day Sync"), and so far, continues to sync as I open the app to check my steps.  Keeping my fingers crossed that between the update and the removing/adding of my Zip and restarting the phone,  the syncing problem is finally fixed.

Best Answer

Welcome to the Fitbit Forums @Damobius@JStymie@R_D_____@nitrodave@Tendonut@mchan73

I apologize for the delayed response and appreciate your comments and feedback regarding your issues with syncing your Fitbit Zip. Our team works to fix this kind of inconveniences and I thank you for your patience. 

Please try recommended advise and let me know if you have questions. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am having the same issue.  I just got a zip from a health program that I am participating in and I cannot sync unless I reset by removing the battery.  I have tried all the suggestions also with no success.  I have a Pixel 3XL running Pie.  I have used fitbit products in the past with good service and support.  Not sure why they can't figure this out.  I normally use a Garmin Vivosmart but have to use the fitbit for this program.  Not very happy with this issue.

Best Answer

I am also not able to sync my Zip without removing the battery, it stopped working with my Samsung S9 and is also not working with my S10. It has now also stopped syncing on my laptop, I have been sent a new zip by Fitbit as I was still under warranty and hadn't realise at that point it was due to an android/Fitbit issue. 

Best Answer

It is quite clear that Fitbit have no intention of fixing this problem. All we get is notifications saying they are working on it. I doubt that very much

Sent from my Huawei phone
Best Answer

I, too,  am now having this problem.  I thought the issue was fixed earlier today but now it only syncs if I restart it every time!

Best Answer
Fitbit announced they are discontinuing the Zip and Flex 2. I'm not holding
my breath for this to ever get fixed.

https://www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2019/3/6/18251931/fitbit-versa-lite-ace-2-inspire-hr-smartwatc...
Best Answer

Disappointed in the lack of options for a non wrist wearing fitness tracker. The steps on wrist ones are always over as they go up with any arm movement 

Best Answer

Restarting the ZIP by removing the battery is NOT an acceptable (or even useful) solution. The battery contact mechanism already is flaky and removing/reinstalling the battery daily only exacerbates an already terrible design.

I have a Fitbit Zip that has been syncing fine for over two years. In the past few weeks it has gotten to the point where I am ready to go to another tracker I do NOT have to wear on my wrist. It is driving me nuts.

Syncing is very sporadic, sometimes yes, sometimes no. Maybe it is successful once every other day.
Device if Fitbit ZIP at firmware 5.90
Fitbit App on Phone is at version 2.88
Phone hardware is LG VS501 rev 1.0, software is VS5011CA running Android 7.0 (security patch to 1/1/2019)

Best Answer

I owned a zip a few years ago and it was great, no issues. I haven't had one for a while, but for work reasons I got this zip. From day 1 I have been seeing this same issue. only thing that works is a hard restart via removing the battery and putting it back in. I don't know what happened between the new zips and the old ones, but they definitely messed something up. 

Best Answer

Could very well be a 'power saving' issue.  As I said elsewhere, the progress bar gets to about 3/4 of the way then stops.  Also, occasionally, I get a message about 'restarting bluetooth'.  I think that I finally have it syncing from my Windows 10 machine on a regular basis using the dongle.

Best Answer

Hello @tulltim@Beckyy668@kazredhead@Prepgal@Tendonut@Beckyy668@Mumpie and @kandrade. Welcome! Robot LOL I apologize for the delayed response and will be glad to assist you with your Zip´s syncing inquiry.

You can always check help article Why won't my Fitbit device sync?

@tulltim and @Mumpie. Thank you for your comments and feedback. Your phones are not included in the compatible devices list. Fitbit is compatible with more than 200 of the most popular Android, iOS and Windows mobile devices. The full list of compatible devices with confirmed compatibility can be found at fitbit.com/devices. If a device isn’t listed it doesn’t mean it won’t work with a Fitbit tracker or smartwatch. We routinely test new devices to ensure full compatibility with Fitbit devices and the Fitbit App, and are constantly working to confirm compatibility with new phone models. A majority of Android phones running version 4.4 or higher will work with our products, however we cannot guarantee optimal performance on devices for which we have not tested and confirmed compatibility.

@Beckyy668, @Prepgal , , you can check help article I shared before.

@kazredhead, thank you for your comments. Our team is working on fixing current issues.

@Tendonut, thank you for your comments, discontinued deices still get support after this action.

@Beckyy668, you can wear Fitbit Inspire with a clip.

@kandrade, thank you for your comments. Zip technology is the same.

Let me know if you need further assistance.

Best Answer

1) WHO do you believe deleted your previous comment?

2) Removing and reinstalling the battery seems to fix the non-syncing problem temporarily BUT

3) The Fitbit ZIP battery contact design is a disaster.  The side (+) terminal is especially vulnerable to damage.

4) How do you propose installing a switch?
5) My phone is NOT on their compatibility list but has synced flawlessly since Dec of 2016 until just a few weeks ago.  I do not recall precisely when this started.  Since I noticed it, the Fitbit app has been updated at least twice with no better syncing results.

6) I have tried turning off and on Bluetooth on the phone, uninstalling and reinstalling the Fitbit app, powering off and restarting the phone.  None of those 'fixes' are effective.

7) On my Windows 10 machine, Bluetooth shows the "Fitbit Base Station" as connected but even that does not get the ZIP to sync.

I am seriously considering going to a different brand of tracker.  Fitbit technical support seems to be left to those no more competent than middle school students and those from Fitbit that post to these messages don't seem to be much better except at making excuses for the company.  I sure wish otherwise but this is beginning to get ridiculous.  It seems like their 'design' folks don't look at the Unexpected Consequences of the changes that they implement.  If it seems 'cool' they just seem to go willy-nilly with trying to make things different.  "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".  My Fitbit ZIP was not broken until a few weeks ago.

Best Answer

Same issue. Brand new device.

I work in IT and have already tried every bit of troubleshooting you or anyone has posted.

The only thing that works is pulling the battery.

Please make the product I paid for usable.

Firmware 5.90

App v2.89

Android 9

Moto x4

Best Answer

Works with the dongle and the Windows 10 Fitbit app from the windows store.

Firmware of ZIP is 5.90
App was 'modified' today, 'created' on 3 Jun 2016

Best Answer

Hi @Mumpie, thanks for getting back. Nice to see you again @RingthiefSorry for the delay.

I wanted to tank you for all this years of loyalty, since as you mentioned you've been with us for the last three years. We really appreciate your commitment as a Fitbit user. We apologize for the inconvenience with Fitbit Zip not syncing properly with Android version 9. We assure Fitbit has been working to give our users more options regarding this issue, but we don't have any update that can solve this permanently. Your feedback is greatly appreciated, thanks for sharing.

Thanks for sharing those troubleshooting steps to our new friend @Ringthief. You can also check that information here. Let me know if you have questions about it.

I'll be around. 

Want to get more active? ᕙ(˘◡˘)ᕗ Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Forums.

Comparte tus sugerencias e ideas para nuevos dispositivos Fitbit ✍ Sugerencias para Fitbit.

Best Answer
0 Votes
It looks like Fitbit's only real response to a problem that's been ongoing
for half a year is to discontinue selling the ZIP from their website for
good. Thanks
Best Answer