Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zip syncs only after restart

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I have windows 7 on desktop Dell. Have had no issues ever until recently. Fitbit Zip only syncs when I restart it by removing battery and waiting a minute and replacing. Also Synced it a couple of minutes after midnight and zip displayed duplicate steps from previous day when it should have been zero since i was at computer for the a few minutes prior to midnight until a few minutes after and didn't take any steps.

Moderator edit: title for clarity

Best Answer
109 REPLIES 109
100% should not be selling a faulty product
Best Answer

I called their support line (+1-877-623-4997) and they were able to re$olve the issue.

Way more productive than the forum where I just got a wall of empty text and an official warning for following up with my device specs.

Best Answer

How about sharing their response?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am having the same issues on my Google Pixel 3 XL. Works fine after pulling battery and re-adding it as a new device, but then stops syncing after the initial sync. I've tried everything listed earlier in this thread above. As someone who's purchased several hundred fitbits so far (I ran wellness programs at a few companies before) this has me worried that the rest of the folks at our client companies will run into this too.  From above comments, Seems to be a common pattern for anyone on a modern Android phone now.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Well, it worked for about a day and a half, syncing randomly by itself. And then it stopped. And another Android update didn't do anything. So, back to pulling the battery daily... except the battery opening slot is getting worn from repeated turns, so I'm afraid eventually, I won't be able to open it anymore.  Fitbit seriously needs to address this.

Best Answer

Also I found this posted by a user somewhere else, not sure why Fitbit staff isn't saying it to anyone:

• Shutdown the Fitbit app if it is running
  • Turn on developer mode
  • To turn on developer mode go to settings - system - about phone: then tap on build number 7 times.
  • Go back to the system page and you should now see an option that says { } Developer options
  • Go to Developer options page and change the following option: Bluetooth AVRCP Version
  • The default option is set to AVRCP 1.4 CHANGE TO: AVRCP 1.6
  • Go to Bluetooth settings and tell your phone to forget the Fitbit
  • Power down your phone
  • Reboot your Fitbit (hold down both the left button and the bottom right button until you see the startup fitbit logo)
  • Power up your phone (wait for it to completely start up - make sure you have a WiFi connection and Bluetooth is running)
  • Start the Fitbit app, it should automatically establish a new Bluetooth connection and sync.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I also have had issues with syncing that started about a month ago. It has only synced once on it's own. I love my Zip, but it's completely unacceptable to have to remove the battery to get it to sync.

Best Answer

Can you start a case for me also?  New Galaxy S10+ syncs only when I remove the ZIP battery, then syncs immediately.  Must be a FW trigger that on battery starts the sync process.  FW should execute that same startup when the SYNC is triggered by pulling down the icon or pressing the twin circled arrows.  

Best Answer

If you have a Windows 10 machine available, try this:
Download the Fitbit App from the Windows Store and install it.
Insert the Dongle into a USB Port

Once you get the App to recognize the Zip device, all I (may) have to do (not every time, but once in a while) remove and reinsert the Dongle.  The Zip then syncs once the Dongle gets recognized by Windows..
Works for me, your mileage may vary.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Too bad because the ZIP is the most convenient form factor for those that object to having a dedicated handcuff on them just for a fitness tracker.

Best Answer
0 Votes

The same issue reared its ugly head for me too. The catalyst seems to be the upgrade to Pie that I performed on my Note 9 last week. I've been running the App/zip combo for years on my Note 3, G6 and Note 9 without any issues, but for the last several days, the only way to get the zip to sync is to remove and replace the battery and then repeat each morning in order to download steps from the previous day.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Exactly.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I kinda have to do similar to this. I have to go to the App and force a sync. It is annoying. That is all I have to say. Fix it 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I totally agree with you. I like my watch on my left hand, I have a Swatch for everyday and I have an expensive Omega for 'going out'. I will not wear a tracker on my left hand but I will wear one in my bra and I'm annoyed that Fitbit  have stopped selling the One which showed stairs. I'm a bit meh about the Zip, it does not sync and I know that Fitbit don't care.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have to force a Synce and I don't think I should have to!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Be thankful that forcing a sync still works. 😆

I found that prior to upgrading to Pie, I would have to force a sync about 50% of the time for the zip. I also have a charge 2 and that only requires a force sync about 5% of the time. The Charge 2 will still autosync and I can still force a sync if I want the steps/stairs to update immediately since the upgrade to Pie, but the Zip refuses to sync at ll auto, or forced until I perform the battery out/in trick.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I followed ringthiefs advice I have the note 9 and it either. Went into developer options changed the Bluetooth to version 1.6 from the default 1.4. restarted the phone and pulled the battery out of the zip and it appears to have worked.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Only way to get it to sync is by removing the battery. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Does anyone know if Ringthief's suggestion is safe for your phone? I'm willing to try just about anything at this point, but developer options sounds like breaking into areas of the phone users aren't supposed to mess with. I don't want to break my phone or bluetooth capabilities with  other apps just to fix my Zip. If that's the issue, Fitbit needs to be looking into what's wrong with the proper bluetooth settings that they don't sync correctly. Will this screw up my phone?

Best Answer
0 Votes
I can only say it worked for me. I had developer option already enabled on
my phone which is needed if you every damage your phone and need to use the
pc to get data off it. Changing the BT didn't impact my other BT synced
devices.
Best Answer
0 Votes