Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zip syncs only after restart

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I have windows 7 on desktop Dell. Have had no issues ever until recently. Fitbit Zip only syncs when I restart it by removing battery and waiting a minute and replacing. Also Synced it a couple of minutes after midnight and zip displayed duplicate steps from previous day when it should have been zero since i was at computer for the a few minutes prior to midnight until a few minutes after and didn't take any steps.

Moderator edit: title for clarity

Best Answer
109 REPLIES 109

Nice to see you  here @becker86! Thanks for sharing your experience with Fitbit Zip. Also, for the troubleshooting you have tried before posting. I'm really sorry that your tracker didn't reset your steps at midnight. I think that this will be a one time issue and be assured that I will continue assisting you if this is not the case.

Regarding your syncing issue, please try the following steps: 

1. Make sure your wireless sync dongle (the smaller USB device that came with your tracker) is plugged into a working USB port and make sure you have an Internet connection. 
2. Confirm that the Fitbit Connect application recognizes your dongle by right clicking the Fitbit Connect icon located near the date and time on your computer. You should see "USB Dongle Connected." 
3. If you see "USB Dongle Disconnected," please insert your dongle into a different USB port on your computer. 
4. If you see "USB Dongle Connected," attempt to manually sync your tracker. To do so, click the Fitbit Connect icon and then click “Sync Now.” 
5. Try restarting your tracker again (double check that you are following the suggested steps in this post).

If you are still having trouble syncing your tracker, please reinstall Fitbit Connect by doing the following: 

1. Uninstall Fitbit Connect 
- On a PC: Open Control Panel > Programs and Features > Select Fitbit Connect > Uninstall 
- On a Mac: search for Fitbit Connect in your Downloads folder. Open the file, then click the Uninstall Icon. 
2. Download the newest software version from www.fitbit.com/setup and follow the prompts. 
3. After reinstalling the software, please try to manually sync your tracker. 

Keep me posted! 😉 

Lucy | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Did you like my answer? Vote for it!

Best Answer
I have tried everything. New battery, uninstalling and reinstalling fitibit
connect with no luck. Every time I try to manually try to sync my fitbit
zip, it won't work unless I restart the tracker, sometimes 2 or 3 times.
Frustrating. I have a Dell table top computer Optiplex 380 with Windows 7. I
don't know what to do next. Glenn Becker (becker86)
Best Answer

Thanks for your reply @becker86! This sounds odd. To further assist you, I've sent you a PM.

Catch you later! 🙂 

Best Answer

I too am following all these steps and still not syncing. I am running Windows XP.

Best Answer

Nice to see you here @velotoo! Thanks for sharing your experience with your Fitbit Zip and Windows XP. To further assist you, I've created a Support Case on your behalf - you should receive an email from Customer Support at the email you used to register with the Community forums.

Keep me posted if you have any other question.

Best Answer

My zip will not sync to my Google Pixel unless it remove the battery and out it back. Then a few hours later it cannot sync again. I have tried everything from all day sync, and stay connected to on demand manual syncing. It says Looking for several minutes and then fails. Quite frustrating as it was working perfectly out if the box until just a few months ago. I purchased the device about 6 months ago. My next idea was to check for bugs reported for my androind OS version and after that try to update the firmware of the zip if that's possible.

Best Answer

A warm welcome to the Fitbit family! It's great to see you participating in our Community. Smiley Happy

Thanks a million for all the details on your post. You've done an excellent job by doing all those steps. You can try to update your phone version (if this applies) and the Fitbit App. But Fitbit Zip doesn't have more updates, the last one is V5.90. 

You can also try the following steps and if this doesn't work I'll check your warranty information with our support team instead. Is this okay for you?

1. Restart your tracker a couple of times and make sure that it is fully charged
  2. Reboot your phone and check that you phone and Fitbit App is up to date 
  3. Open Bluetooth Settings on your phone and delete your Zip from there (forget device)
  4. Open Fitbit App > Account > Zip> Remove device (tap on the trash can in the upper right corner)
  5. Reboot your Bluetooth and double check that it is not connecting from there
  6. Force quite the App. Open it again Account > Set up a device

Please keep me posted. 

Want to get more active? ᕙ(˘◡˘)ᕗ Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Forums.

Comparte tus sugerencias e ideas para nuevos dispositivos Fitbit ✍ Sugerencias para Fitbit.

Best Answer

Was any solution found for this?  I'm having the exact same problem and I've tried all the steps mentioned, e.g. reinstalling the app, changing the battery, et cetera.  Each time my Fitbit Zip stops syncing, I try the route of force closing the app on my phone + turning the bluetooth receiver off and back on, and still nothing.  The only way I can get my Fitbit Zip to sync is to remove the battery, wait 15 seconds, put the battery back, and then immediately manually sync.  It only takes around 15 minutes for the Zip to be unable to sync again.

Best Answer

Hi @JStymie, nice to have you here. Welcome! Robot Happy

Thanks for all the steps that you've tried with your Zip. What model of phone are you using? I'd like to check the basic things as apparently you're having syncing issues with your Zip, but this is responding only after the restart. Sounds odd, but lets check the following steps:

Requirements:

• Phone should be a compatible device check our list of compatible devices
  • For Android phones: to help improve the delivery, go to Notifications and make sure Enable Notification Widget is on. If you recently updated the Fitbit app, reboot your mobile device and try setting up notifications again.
  • Make sure the Do Not Disturb setting on your mobile device is turned off because it prevents the device from sending notifications to your tracker.
  • The software on your mobile device is updated. To check, tap Settings > General > Software Update iOS for Android  Settings > About phone > Android Version.
  • If you use more than one Bluetooth phone, tablet, or computer to sync, the other one isn't nearby (or has Bluetooth disabled).
  • Try with a new battery. Make sure that the little metal piece that makes contact with the battery is not bend.
  • zip.PNG

If the syncing issue remains with a mobile device I would recommend following the steps below:

1. Restart your tracker a couple of times and make sure that it is fully charged
  2. Reboot your phone and check that you phone and Fitbit App is up to date 
  3. Open Bluetooth Settings on your phone and delete your Zip from there (forget device)
  4. Open Fitbit App > Account > Zip> Remove device (tap on the trash can in the upper right corner)
  5. Reboot your Bluetooth and double check that it is not connecting from there
  6. Force quite the App. Open it again Account > Set up a device
  7. Check your phone Permissions and leave location on to keep syncing and getting notifications with your phone, for more info check these instructions.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have questions about it.

Want to get more active? ᕙ(˘◡˘)ᕗ Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Forums.

Comparte tus sugerencias e ideas para nuevos dispositivos Fitbit ✍ Sugerencias para Fitbit.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Same issue here, the only response from Fitbit was keep pulling the battery if that works for you. It suddenly won't sync with the pc or mobile device unless the battery is pulled.  Unacceptable for me, maybe it's time to go with a different brand fitness tracker.

Best Answer
Yeah, that's my reaction, too. This device wasn't even 6 months old and it
seems a decent number of people are having this issue, but they only help
they want to give is asking about my phone. Seems clear the device is
defective and should be replaced, I will definitely be looking elsewhere
for my next tracker.
Best Answer

The only thing g that will work is to pull battery. I have since stopped using the device. Certainly won't spend the hundreds on the watches in fear of those having the same issue with my phone. I did discover that your phone can do simple tracking of steps so I'll deal with that for now as it gets me a baseline. It no where near the accuracy of the zips steps though...

Best Answer

I have the exact same problem.  I have a Pixel 2 phone and starting on exactly November 17, 2018 my Fitbit Zip stopped syncing.  I've tried all of the trouble shooting techniques and only taking the battery out of the Fitbit, deleting the zip from my Fitbit app registry, putting the battery back in and then reconnecting the app to the Zip works.  And then I have to do it all over again after 20 minutes.  It seems to sync if I keep the app open the entire time and just keep resyncing by hitting the sync button in the app, but once I stop for 20 minutes or so and then try again, it can't find the Zip anymore.

Best Answer

I have exactly the same problem.  It won't sync to my Google Pixel.  Take the battery out/back in and it will sync.  Doesn't sync again until I take it out/back in again.   If there is a solution, let me know!

Best Answer

Same problem here. I spoke with customer service and they replaced it under warranty and it has the same problem. I tried with my Moto X4 and my windows PC using the dongle. This is definitely an issue that Fitbit needs to fix asap

Best Answer

Hi everybody, nice to see you here. Thanks for sharing your comments. If you already try the steps suggested here and your Zip meets all the syncing requirements, I'd like to proceed with the next step. I can request a case for you, if you wish.

I'll be around. 

Best Answer
Please do, the issue doesn't seem uncommon. As others have mentioned, the
only thing that works is removing & replacing the battery every time I want
to sync, which isn't very practical.
Best Answer
Your support is a joke! You offer to replace the device if it's still under
warranty or continue to pull the battery out to sync if that works for you.
Obviously many people have the same problem and its on your end even if the
device is brand new. My wife and I both started to experience the same
problem on different device s at the same time. Start a case, whatever
that means. Same joke of support for your products.
Best Answer

II'l raise my hand too.  I just got the zip for insurance incentives and am snycing issue too.  Only way to get it to sync is by removing the battery.  I saw others mention of Google pixel phones and i too have a Pixel 1.  Wondering if the Google phones might have something to do with it.  Regardless, why hasn't Fitbit fixed this.  Luckly I've only had the Fitbit for a week so I'll be returning it if a solution isn't found.

Best Answer