Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sleep score available with Premium Subscription

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I'm extremely disappointed how Fitbit have decided to lock away user's own sleep data behind a Paywall subscription. 

Subscription for: 

* Audio & Video Workouts

* Guided Programs

I totally understand because they're added features to enhance/supplement the tracker but

* Premium Insights

So I can see my sleeping heart rate, my own data from the tracker, is pretty rude.

I bought the tracker specifically for sleep data and there was nothing in the website to indicate that it is or will be accessible behind a paid subscription fee @ $14.99/month AUD...

Screenshot_20190714_100524_com.fitbit.FitbitMobile.jpg

Screenshot_20190714_101349_com.fitbit.FitbitMobile.jpg

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Hi all!

I just wanted to take this opportunity to thank you for the feedback you have been providing around Sleep Score and Fitbit Premium. I can assure that our team is reviewing this feedback as we continue to improve the Premium experience. 

I do want to reiterate that no previously existing Fitbit features have been moved behind a Premium paywall. Everything that was previously available to you for free will continue to be available for free, and Fitbit will continue to add new free features.

If you have any additional questions regarding Fitbit Premium and its feature set, I highly recommend checking out our Premium FAQ Guide. Feel free to let me know if you have any questions!

@ufsandcastler @Matt_F I did a little digging, and I can confirm that a small number of users were able to view some Premium features as a preview. This is likely why you saw 'Sleeping Heart Rate' in your app. I apologize for any confusion. Please update to the latest version of the Fitbit App if you are interested in purchasing Fitbit Premium.

Want to get more deep sleep? Join the discussion on our Sleep better forum.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
99 REPLIES 99

Hi @Matt_F, welcome back. I'm glad to see you here, and I'm sorry for my delayed response.

Thanks for the screenshot provided, as well for taking the time to share your thoughts. I understand your position, and I'll help you with this. Let me clarify that the sleep data (either sleep patterns or stages), and insights will keep being available for all our users for free in the Fitbit app. The sleep score on the other hand, is an additional tile that will show deeper details about your sleep and trends in your sleep. This tile is available for uses with a Fitbit premium subscription. This and more details can be found in this help article.

I'm sorry for any misunderstanding, and be sure that you can continue using your Fitbit device to track your information and sync it as usual. Our team will also keep working on the app so you can record your data and keep a track of your progress.

If you have another question, feel free to let me know.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Although my main issue still stands re: Resting Heart Rate & Restlessness data (not Sleep Score) as per my post above. I need not duplicate the issue in this reply.

Moderator edit: word choice

Best Answer

This is about as greedy as it gets Fitbit, are you so desperate for money that you're going to try and start charging for the use of your app on top of the price of your trackers?

I can't wait to see how that works out for you lol.

Best Answer

Today I started to drive my 2 years old car that I bought paying the entire amount. 

Since it was a little hot I switched on, like I did often in these past 2 years, the air conditioning. But it didn't work. On the display instead I got the message that in order to use AC, starting from today, I have to pay a monthly amount (or an yearly amount slight discounted).

This is exactly what Fitbit did. 

Best Answer

Hi @Matt_F@Crazy-Fritter and @Giampi71. Good to see you around the Community. I'm sorry for my delayed response.

Thanks to all of you for sharing your feedback. Let me clarify one more time that your resting heart rate will keep being visible in the Fitbit app for free, as this is different from sleeping heart rate. Resting heart rate measures your heart beats when you are still, mostly when sleeping. However you'll see this reading during the whole day when checking the heart rate tile. On the other hand, sleeping heart rate will capture your heart only during your sleep time; and together with the restlessness it'll generate your sleep score with Premium Subscription.

I understand how you're feeling with this change, and I'm sorry about this inconvenience. Our team often reviews the Community Forums and works on our products based on your comments.

If you have any other question, let me know.

Best Answer

I mistakenly said Resting Heart Rate in my subsequent message but I meant Sleeping Heart Rate as per my original post and screenshot.

That being said, it's a shame that the sleeping heart rate data will only be available to premium subscribers when it freely was available for all users in v2.95

My trial has finished and I'm back to being locked out of this data so I've decided to rollback to this version so I can access all my data.

I really hope Fitbit will reconsider moving this data in to subscription only area.

If they wish to have a separate sleep score page that's fine, that's an added extra which is derived from the actual data.

I would very much have the actual data which is extrapolated from the tracker, to be available in full.

Best Answer

I agree, this is outrageous. I just bought another fitbit for my daughter last week but am now going to return it rather than give it to her and will look at other options. Very disappointing.

Best Answer

Average sleep time which is a meaningful measure and related to health outcomes has been removed from the app. Years of data gone. Replaced by average sleep Score which is meaningless and a marketing ploy to buy a Premium subscription.

I’ve paid hundreds of $ for 2 FitBits. FitBit are not getting a cent out of me. You have betrayed your customers.

Best Answer

My first fitness tracker was a Jawbone. They went bankrupt. Greedy FitBit might go the same way. Desperate.

Best Answer

Hi @Matt_F@Rain22 and @SunriseRun433. It's nice to see you here again, and I'm sorry for my delayed response.

Thanks for your comments about the sleep score details, and I'm sorry the experience that you've had with this. Fitbit often reviews the Community to improve our services taking your feedback into consideration. While the sleep score details can be seen after purchasing a Fitbit Premium subscription, I appreciate you for taking the time to share your thoughts, which will not be taken for granted.

Don't hesitate to reply back if you have another inquiry.

Best Answer

AND YOU WANT ME TO GO AND BUY A NEW, "IMPROVED" VERSA.

WELL, EVERYONE IN YOUR ENTIRE COMPANY CAN GO STRAIGHT TO......

Best Answer

You should still be able to see average sleep time. Just scroll through the top bar graphs. 

I'm also not pleased at how it seems Fitbit is going to be moving forward but I'm waiting to see what happens.

I'm also still waiting to see if they'll ever implement the O2 sensor...

Best Answer

@Matt_F thanks for your post! I was able to downgrade to 2.87 and get the old style dashboard back! Installing 2.95 unfortunately did not help me. I hope this info is useful for others!

Best Answer

Surely the premium must include the Spo2 data?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Wow. I am with everyone here. I have been an avid Fitbit supporter.  I have patiently been waiting for the SpO2 data that was promised to me 3 devices ago. Now I have to pay per month for this? Wow. So disappointed.

Best Answer

I too am very disappointed that I cannot see my sleep heartrate nor my Restlessness stats anymore! Really Fitbit? Why are those stats so exclusive? I've been using my versa for a couple of months and actually find it interesting to see my stats, Afterall I paid $250 for my Fitbit and now you want another $15 per month to show me if my sleeping is restless or not? 

Not impressed at all...

Best Answer

Absolute crap!

Can't believe you've put some of these details we had under a locked subscription! Loved seeing my average sleep time and heart rate..... Jokers the lot of you!

This is from a UK owner! I may even have to go buy another smart watch, I hope you see a cut into your purse-strings as this is rediculous!

Best Answer

I am also very dissapointed.  The main reason I bought Fitbits was for heart rate tracking and sleep data since my beloved Zeo sleep headband required replacing the sensor pad on occasion and the company went under.  Only one company has made something similar but for the last 2 years remains out of stock with no signup list and no response from support as well as no preorder.

I bought 2 Versas last year to replace 2 Blazes.  I no longer use the Fitbit for workouts as I have a Myzone chest strap heart rate sensor which works great and connects to the TV at the gym so I can just look at that if in view to see my heart rate or if out of view my phone screen.  They color code heart rate zones so all you have to do is stay in the color you should be not worry about numbers.  You can also create and share workouts by target zone and time per zone.  It also rates how close you were and there is social aspects tied in as well as badges.  It also has a countdown timer for each zone and pauses music on phone to play a voice announcement of what the next color zone will be in 30 seconds and then dings at 10 seconds, so it's really easy to use.  So for actual exercise this beats Fitbit by many ways in my opinion.  But the Fitbit is still nice for 24/7 heart rate but smartwatches can do the same now.

I may not mind paying a small fee to access the sleep data as restlessness is a big issue for me as I struggle with insomnia.  But $15 a month is too much just for that.  Why not make a separate plan if you have to for a couple dollars at most a month to access SPO2 and sleep data if the SPO2 even works yet since that was a selling point for the Versas but when I couldn't find it in the app I came on here and found out the sensor was there but was not yet being used, which was a bit shady marketing as it had been out for quite some time when I bought it and don't remember seeing anything on the box or sales page saying it was not yet being utilized.

I could possibly see $15 a month for the customized exercise and video coaching but I have no need for any of those as I mainly do weightlifting with focus on weight over reps and squats on one day and deadlift on the other for full body muscle use.  For cardio I either run or use the rowing machine which I do not need a guide or video coach for that.

If I can't access my full sleep data without paying that much a month on top of the device price tag I may forgoe the long battery life and go with a Samsung gear next time, I would think it could match the free app heart rate and sleep tracking and do a lot more with the phone.

I really do hope they at least make a plan just for oxygen level, heart rate and sleep and it's not more then a few dollars a month or these may be my last fitbits.

Best Answer

I think I wouldn't mind paying say a couple of $ a month for sleep stats, or at least be given the choice to pay for extras separately. I wont use the premium workouts and all that jazz at the moment so for me the $15 a month is far too much. 

Best Answer