Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fitbit app won't open

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.
Hello my fit but app won't stay open. When I click the icon it opens and quickly closes down again. I have checked for updates done any that were required. Tried turning off/on phone 3 times and still not working. Any suggestion??

Thanks
Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Hi everyone, and welcome to our new members.

Thanks for your reports and steps tried prior to posting. As you may know this issue was recently affecting the iOS Fitbit app and was already resolved by our team. If you're having difficulties, please make sure the Fitbit app is updated as this will ensure its performance.

I'm going to close this thread to prevent any confusion. If you have a different question, I'd encourage you to start a new thread in the Help Forums to receive help from the Community. Have a good one!

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
59 REPLIES 59

Welcome to the Community @Nicole80. It's weird to hear that  your app is closing itself. Thanks for troubleshooting this issue by yourself. If you have already checked if your Fitbit app is Updated, I recommend uninstalling and reinstalling the app.

I hope this helps, let me know the outcome. Woman Happy

Alejandra | Community Moderator, Fitbit

If you like something I recommended, I encourage you to mark that reply as "Best Answer". 🙂

Best Answer
I am having the same problem with the app. It opens and immediately closes down. I called Fitbit and they see that my Flex hasn't synced since yesterday. I have tried everything except uninstalling and reinstalling the app because the rep told me not to do this. If you are on iPhone, uninstalling the app will delete all of your data and you will still have the same problem after you reinstall the app.
Best Answer

Same thing happens to me. It happened after I sent a message. I reinstalled and it works fine (all data is there). I tried to resend the message and it crashed again, I had to reinstall again. It looks like my message was never event sent. Any ideas Fitbit?

Best Answer

Hi @JanetMcC. I don't know who gave you that information, but deleting the app and downloading and installing the latest version will absolutely not delete any of your data since your last successful sync; and any data recorded on your tracker thereafter, as long as you're within the last 30 days. Your tracker has on-board memory, which is sufficient to retain minute-by-minute data for the most recent 7 days; and daily totals for the 23 days prior. If Fitbit opens and closes immediately, the likely cause is that you're running short on RAM. Please close ALL apps running in the background prior to running Fitbit and your should be able to sync just fine. Cheers!

TW 

Best Answer
Hi, TandemWalker,

Thank you for taking the time to respond! The advice I was given to not
delete the app and reinstall it came from a customer support agent at
Fitbit. She was emphatic that doing so on iPhone would not fix the
problem. I missed the rep this afternoon, and expect to hear back from her
tomorrow.

I know my tracker is still counting steps because it lit up and buzzed
today when I reached my step goal, but when I sign into Fitbit via the web
(since the app won't open), it shows N/A for today's data.

I am increasingly more tempted to delete and reinstall the app as not
having it is getting in the way of my compulsively checking!

--
https://www.linkedin.com/in/janetmccarthy5
www.nonsequiturliving.com
Best Answer
0 Votes

I have been having this problem since saturday.  On saturday and sunday I uninstalled and then installed the app so it would sync.  I have also connected my fitbit charge to the computer and held down the button till it reset.  Nothing seems to work.  My husband says I have plenty of RAM so what else could be causing this???

Best Answer
0 Votes
Hi, Julie,

I have the Fitbit Flex, and when I uninstalled and then reinstalled the app, it started working just fine. I read several other posts from people whose problem was really the Fitbit tracker itself, and the company was replacing the tracker for those people. I found Fitbit support to be very helpful, so maybe they can help make this determination for you so you can maintain your stride so to speak.

Good luck!

Janet
https://www.linkedin.com/in/janetmccarthy5
www.nonsequiturliving.com
Best Answer
0 Votes
@JanetMcC, @TandemWalker, @SunsetRunner, and @alicjamarmurows, right?
Hey there.

Like @TandemWalker said, you may not have enough RAM on your phone or other device. Close your other apps, and stop any music/videos/podcasts to free up RAM.

I'm cheering you on from afar,
Kai
Best Answer

i just got a new Alta (thankyou FitBit support) as charge strap broke.  i had this same issue.  Deleted app and reinstalled and all is good 🙂  Thanks!

Cheryl gaudet
Best Answer

Hi, Cheryl0404,

Thank you! I ended up doing the same thing and it also worked. Then, I lost my Alta and never found it! I ended up buying an HR, because the snap on my second Alta band was very rigid and kept popping off, which is how it was lost.

Happy stepping!

Janet

Moderator edit: personal info removed

Best Answer
0 Votes

my fitbit app was working earlier today. now when i click on it, the screen just goes black.  The app won't open. help

Best Answer
0 Votes

It's great to see you around @LaSharnda1. Have you checked if your app is updated? If you haven't, I recommend following the instructions provided by @MarreFitbit in the How do I update the Fitbit app for iOS? post.

Let me know how it goes. Woman Happy

Alejandra | Community Moderator, Fitbit

If you like something I recommended, I encourage you to mark that reply as "Best Answer". 🙂

Best Answer

I have uninstalled, reinstalled, logout repeated many times on a supported phone and the app stops as soon as I tap login.  Every thing was working before my first adventure race.  It showed me as third on a windows mobile device and the Android couldn't seem to find me show the forth place person as third.  Every since names were revealed without warning my account has been bug ridden

Master of Radiculopathy
Best Answer

I'm having this same problem. I'm using the app on my Mac OS X 10.11.6. The app worked fine for a while, then one day it stopped automatically opening at login (which I set my preferences to do) and when I manually open it it closes itself. I uninstalled the app and it worked long enough for me to sync my Fitbit, then after a day or two it stopped working again. I don't want to have to uninstall and reinstall the app every time I want to sync my data. That's ridiculous. It sounds like a lot of people have been having a similar problem for a long time and I'm not seeing any sign of a solution. Very frustrating. If Fitbits weren't so expensive I'd chuck it and write off the system as a dud.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I've been having the same problem on my Blaze for the last month or so - I click on the icon, it goes to a blank white screen with the fitbit logo like it's going to open and then it just closes.  I do this on my laptop - not a phone - and RAM is definitely not the issue.  I've not been pushing to meet my goals since I can't even view them. I'll try the uninstall and reinstall and see if that works.  Incidentally, before this started happening, I noticed a lot of nights were recording my sleep in the old way (asleep vs awake as opposed to different sleep cycles.)  Don't know if that is related in any way or just a coincidence.  I did the trouble-shooting for that and none of the situations applied. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

many updates to Fitbit app, and phones Bluetooth interface, and my system has been behaving very well.  I do have to forget the Bluetooth device Charge 2 often to keep the tracker on track.  It seems to lock to a device when signal loss occurs, and eventually the tracker stops tracking heart, steps, floors until reset.

Master of Radiculopathy
Best Answer
0 Votes

I live in the country so I have limited internet options and, therefore, very limited data.  Wasted nearly 100 MB of that very limited data reinstalling the Fitbit app on my laptop only to be faced with the same issue!!  Very frustrating.  I'm beginning to hate my Fitbit.  Like cell phones, they seem to self-destruct after a certain period of time to try to force you into buying a new one.  I don't get that mentality, why would I want to buy a piece of junk that's going to go out on me in 1-3 years?  😞   If anyone has a solution to getting my fitbit app to open, I sure would like to hear it.  Thanks!

Best Answer

Oh, and since I can't open the app, I can't sync it. And, since it hasn't been working, I have been forgetting to charge my battery which caused it to die.  Now, my clock shows 2.5 hours behind, but I can't open the darn app to sync it and get the correct time.  Is there another way?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi, I have the same issue with my phone. What are the RAM requirements of the app? Once re-installed, the app works until I try to relaunch the next day to sync. Just recently acquired my charge2... so rather disappointed at this moment.

Any ideas what I can do to remediate?

Best Answer