Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ionic not syncing with iOS 11

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

It just started recently out of the blue, my ionic will not sync with the fitbit app on iPhone 7+ running the latest version of iOS 11. 

Anyone else have this issue? And is there a fix or work around? 

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

I played around with it a little and what seems to help is to turn off the Ionic. The way to do that is to find settings in the Ionic, then scrolling down to ‘About’ and there will be a ‘Shut down’ at the bottom of the list. 

I also made sure to kill the fitbit app on the phone and I turned Bluetooth off and back on.  

Then I turned the Ionic back on by holding down the button on the left. It took a minute to boot up but it seemed to help and to sync again. 

I don’t know how the Ionic apps interact but I figure if I switch between too many apps on my phone without killing them, my phone slows a little and uses a lot more battery power. So that must be true for the Ionic. But since there’s no app killer, turning it off then back on was the most logical. 

Hopefully Fitbit will have a fix for that at some point, until then, it might be a good idea to just do a power cycle every now and then. 

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
44 REPLIES 44

I have the same issue 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I played around with it a little and what seems to help is to turn off the Ionic. The way to do that is to find settings in the Ionic, then scrolling down to ‘About’ and there will be a ‘Shut down’ at the bottom of the list. 

I also made sure to kill the fitbit app on the phone and I turned Bluetooth off and back on.  

Then I turned the Ionic back on by holding down the button on the left. It took a minute to boot up but it seemed to help and to sync again. 

I don’t know how the Ionic apps interact but I figure if I switch between too many apps on my phone without killing them, my phone slows a little and uses a lot more battery power. So that must be true for the Ionic. But since there’s no app killer, turning it off then back on was the most logical. 

Hopefully Fitbit will have a fix for that at some point, until then, it might be a good idea to just do a power cycle every now and then. 

Best Answer

I have the same issue. I regret updating from the Blaze as the only way I can link is to do a reboot or re-pairing. I worked with support at length and was eventually told that this is a recognized issue that is being escalated to their tech team. Very frustrating. I’m a hardcore Fitbit believer but am losing confidence. 

Best Answer

Yeah, so anytime I want to sync I have to turn the fitbit off then power it back up.

Best Answer
0 Votes

same here. in a loop of tried anything with their support. mine syncs with bluetooth for a while after factory-resets /re-pairings, then fails and get stuck sooner or later. I have that behavior since the tracker os2.0 update. hopeless. fitbit - please come up with a fix and don‘t let it rest on the shoulders of your users.

(iPhone 7, iOS 11.3)

Best Answer
0 Votes

Mine not syncing as of 04/29. Why is this so sporadic

Best Answer

Same issue here

Best Answer

Ionic, which has been paired with IPhone in the past, now will not re-pair with IPhone.  It is stuck on the screen which asks for the 4 digit code and continually says that there is a problem communicating with the tracker and to try again - I reboot the Ionic, I switch on and off Bluetooth, but still no result.  Any more ideas?

Best Answer
0 Votes
I couldn’t resolve my issues. Unfortunately I’ve kept my old Blaze and returned the Ionic.

Denis
Best Answer
0 Votes

I called FitBit Customer Service. You need to restore to Factory
settings...and turn off your iphone. Then turn it all back on, and let it
re-sync.

--
Tara 

moderator edit: personal information

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes I did that.  I resolved the issue and within an hour it had occurred again.

Best Answer
I spent several hours with customer support, tried everything possible 3 to 5 times each with no success. Unfortunately I think Apple has done something to make the Apple Watch link better than other smart watches.
Best Answer

So I know you guys are factory resetting your ionic or think it has anything to do with Apple. However, the problem lies within the fitbit app and possibly the fitbitOS. Since the most recent fitbitOS update, I have had less issues with syncing. However, sincerely try just to shut off the fitbit and turn it back on. Every time an “app” gets opened on the ionic, it stays open. Just like on your iPhone. But unlike the iPhone, there’s no way to kill these apps, which slow down responsiveness and syncing capabilities, without having to restart the device. I generally charge my ionic while I take a shower, and while it’s charging I keep it turned off. I haven’t had any syncing issues since then. But I do notice lag in responsiveness and such if I skip a few days of turning it off. The biggest issue I have had other than syncing to the app is pairing to a Bluetooth device, but that has since resolved as well. So stop panicking and slow your roll on blaming Apple. Please refer back to my “solved” reply for instructions on how to turn your ionic on and off. Hope this helps, good luck! 

Best Answer

@DenisJub I was thinking exactly same but that would be so ugly... returned mine for a repair/replacement. hope things will get better.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Returned it and was given a new one.  JB Hifi apparently have had a few come back.  Didn't even have to explain the problem they already knew.  Everything working fine with new one.  Will wait and see though.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@yorak great to hear you got a working replacement. fingers crossed it stays like that with updates coming on the watch/fitbit app and ios.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Just did as you suggested and it worked.  Thank you!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Well my new Fitbit will not take a charge in the holder anymore so syncing at this point is not happening. But before it died I would have to turn the Fitbit off then back on to get it to sync.

Sent from my iPhone

Moderator edit: personal info removed

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello everyone, I hope you're doing well! Smiley Happy

I appreciate some of you have come back and let us know @Shawnm419's recommendations were helpful and helped you resolve this issue. Now, in case you're still having trouble syncing your Ionic I would like to suggest you the following:

• Make sure the latest version of the Fitbit app is installed on your phone.
  • The software on your mobile device is up to date. To check, tap Settings > General > Software Update.
  • Make sure there are no other Bluetooth devices around as they might interfere with the syncing process
  • Check that your Fitbit device's battery isn't critically low.

If your device still won't sync, try these steps:

1. Force quit the Fitbit app. 
  2. Go to Settings > Bluetooth and turn Bluetooth off and back on.
  3. Open the Fitbit app.
  4. If your Fitbit device didn't sync, restart your phone again.
  5. Open the Fitbit app.
  6. If your Fitbit device didn't sync, restart it by pressing and holding the Back and Select buttons (left and bottom right) until you see the Fitbit logo on the screen.
  7. If your Fitbit device won't sync after the restart, log in to your Fitbit account on a different phone, tablet, or computer and try to sync.
  8. If your Fitbit device still doesn’t sync, remove all other Fitbit devices from your account and from the list of connected Bluetooth devices on your mobile device and try to sync.

@thewmejr, I understand your Ionic is not charging correctly, at this moment I would like to suggest you to plug in your Ionic to a power source, then try to restart it. After restarting it, leave it plugged in for 10 to 15 minutes and press any button on it to check if it's now charging. If not, please reply to me so I can check this further.

I hope this can be helpful, give it a try and keep me posted in case you need anything else. 

Marco G. | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Did you find my post helpful? Vote for it or mark it as a Solution! Robot wink

Best Answer