Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

13 months and Alta HR dies?

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Anyone have any experience with a fitbit working great while under warranty and then as soon as its up the fitbit stops working?  I have an Alta HR that i got in April 2017.  Last week the battery started only lasting 2-3 hours after a full charge.  I chatted with fitbit support yesterday and they wanted me to do a battery drain test that required me to fully charge the fitbit. I tried to put it on the charger to do the test and it won't even power on or charge on the charger now.  A friend has a different fitbit model that also quit working at 14 months of age.  Are these devices designed to be disposable as soon as the warranty runs out?  I love it, but $179 each year is a costly investment.  I emailed support to see if anything could be done, but haven't heard back.  Anyone have any ideas or similar experience?  Thanks.

Moderator edit: clarified subject.

Best Answer
66 REPLIES 66

Had the same experience on my second fitbit.  13 months!  I am curious to know life expectancy.

I am currently using the Alta HR and am experiencing the same problem; however, I am within the warranty period this time.  I plan to contact them now.  I wanted to check the forum to see if there was anything else I needed to try, but I think your post answers my question.  Good luck.

Best Answer

My fitbit did the same thing. Support had us do some things nothing worked.. kept saying it us syncing but you can not see anything on the fitbit itself. So what good does that do, They won't do anything because it's one month out of warranty. I am done with fitbit and will be spreading he word.

Best Answer

My Alta HR just did exactly the same thing. I got mine 13 1/2 months ago. I had the exact same conversation with customer support. My conclusion is that they don't stand behind their product because they know it's likely to fail. I've become addicted to having a tracker, heart rate, watch so I'm now researching other brands.

Best Answer

It is always upsetring when something fails when it is just out of warantee, but these things happen. It IS no longer under warantee so it wont be replaced. I do under stand feeling annoyed (I was annoyed when my dishwasher died one month out of warantee), but expecting a replacement? That is just unrealistic.

Community Council Member

Helen | Western Australia

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
I think a quality fitness tracker, for which you pay $150, should last
more than one year. The discount you offered brought the price down to
what Amazon sells it for anyway once you factor in your shipping and $20 more
expensive protection plan. And I trust Amazon. I do not trust Fitbit!
Best Answer

Yes my Fitbit was 14 months old so out of warranty and Fitbit does NOTHING!!

they offer 25% a purchase of another one - really I will take my business else where

Best Answer
That’s what I got too. 25% off a new one. I went ahead and bought 1 more with the 2 yr replacement on it since I had several extra bands etc. if it doesn't last I will find a different company next time.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

13.5 months and Fitbit alta hr stopped charging. $165 original price. Placed on hold 18 minutes to be told nothing they could do. I could get alta at discount but not hr.  I just got thru Amazon prime no shipping fee.  NOT HAPPY. I would tell everyone to get one

. No more.  I only reordered because of all the bands I've purchased

Best Answer

I purchased my Alta HR in March 2017. In Feb 2018 I called because my screen was only displaying half of everything. I recieved my replacement in March 2018. Now 8 months later my replacement one just quit working. I contacted Fitbit and the guy walked my through everything. He said it needed replaced. The best he could offer me was a 25% discount. Seriously!!!!!! No way!!!!! Fitbit obviously doesn't care about their long standing customers. This is not good customer service. They need to make their customers happy so they spread the word. Well I will be spreading the word to look for something else that is NOT a Fitbit product. Good One Fitbit. I am looking into a Samsung Smart Watch. Maybe they will appreciate my business.

Best Answer

Every year mine seems to die RIGHT AFTER the warrany expires... I am getting tired of it. And all customer support will offer is 25% off the next purchase.... 

Best Answer
That is part of the reason why I buy my Fitbits on Amazon and purchase a 2
or 3 year warranty with it now
Best Answer
0 Votes

Just had my 3rd fitbit die within months of the warranty. I kept thinking next one will be better. I bought this last one on Amazon, wish I'd noticed a 2 or 3 year warranty option! No more fitbit for me now 😞

Best Answer

Similar situation with me.  I've had many Fitbits (Flex, HR, Altas) die shortly after the warranty expires.  Most recently the screen on my Alta cracked for no apparent reason, not too long after the warranty ended.  Fed up, I purchased an iWatch, 3 series...and I absolutely love it.  I won't buy Fitbits anymore.  They're not reliable and their customer service stinks.

Best Answer

Please share your findings. My Alta HR just died after 1 year plus 2 weeks. Thanks

Best Answer

Have to purchase a new one. Fitbit will not replace.

--

Moderator edit: personal info removed

Best Answer
0 Votes

how about 3 times?

Best Answer

Same here - 15 months old - I was having to restart every day but it now won’t restart All I have is a blank screen. This is the second Fitbit I’ve had this issue with. Luckily I have a 2 year warranty so hope something can get sorted. I’m losing confidence in Fitbit as a company.

Best Answer

Yep! My versa... 14 months and it’s toast. Won’t turn on at all. Contacted customer support, and they don’t even apologize. They just tell you they are emailing you a 25% discount as if i should be grateful. They seriously didn’t even say sorry. Just all cheerful. “Anything else I can help you with?” It’s like buying a new Fitbit is an annual purchase of something. They act like it’s normal. No thank you. I’m out. This has clearly been their tactic for years. I doubt it will change. 

Best Answer

My band has broken three times. First time they were very good even though I was over the warranty. They just aren’t designed to last.

Best Answer