Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

13 months and Alta HR dies?

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Anyone have any experience with a fitbit working great while under warranty and then as soon as its up the fitbit stops working?  I have an Alta HR that i got in April 2017.  Last week the battery started only lasting 2-3 hours after a full charge.  I chatted with fitbit support yesterday and they wanted me to do a battery drain test that required me to fully charge the fitbit. I tried to put it on the charger to do the test and it won't even power on or charge on the charger now.  A friend has a different fitbit model that also quit working at 14 months of age.  Are these devices designed to be disposable as soon as the warranty runs out?  I love it, but $179 each year is a costly investment.  I emailed support to see if anything could be done, but haven't heard back.  Anyone have any ideas or similar experience?  Thanks.

Moderator edit: clarified subject.

Best Answer
66 REPLIES 66

I've had two Fitbits die after the warranty expired.  How long should a Fitbit last?  More than a year or so?  I'm so disappointed in this company and their response just to offer a percent off a new one.  I'll go out and buy a cheaper version that will last longer.  

When you contact them to complain about it not working, are they able to completely shut it down on their end? 

I'm done.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I am completely done with Fitbit. I went to a Samsung watch that is on my
cell phone plan. So if something goes wrong with it my device insurance
covers the cost of a new one minus the deductible (which I am fully aware
of from the get go). Much happier with Samsung.

--
Tracy St. Clair
Best Answer
0 Votes
Me too!  only downside is charging more frequently but better interfaceMy Samsung Galaxy Watch rocks!
Best Answer
0 Votes
Same!!!! But hey I don't mind charging more frequently as long as it is
working 🙂

--
Tracy St. Clair
Best Answer
 I'm happy to respond that I eventually connected with someone from FitBit Customer Service who solved my problem. I couldn't get my FitBit to sinc. I just threw it in my jewelry box in disgust. Tried several times to work with customer service with no solution. The last person I talked with asked the right questions, I guess, because the next day I tried to get it to sinc and Bingo, it worked and has been working for months now.  
Best Answer
0 Votes

Yep!! My first Fitbit lasted one year, two months and my second one year, seven months. They were $230 Versa’s. I (any good consumer would) refuse to buy a new $200+ watch every single year of my life. What a joke! Done with this company.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm having the same exact problem.   This problem doesn't seem to be isolated.  I've drained the battery and when I go to charge it, the charge doesn't even last a full day!!!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Nope, not an isolated problem, but a "conspiracy." It is criminal. The company needs to be punished/pay the price. On top of this, they took/stole the fitness tracker company Jawbone's ideas, ultimately putting Jawbone out of business. 😠*

Best Answer
0 Votes
After exactly 12 months and 3 days of purchasing my Versa 2 Fitbit, it died.  It absolutely refused to sync. I put it in a drawer and moved on.  However, a few weeks later I decided to address the problem again by actually trying to call customer service. To my surprise, I actually connected with a representative.  She tried to walk me thru different steps but nothing worked. I posted on Facebook about my disappointment with my Fitbit. About a week later I picked it up again and gave it one more try.  It had synced somehow and it's works ever since. That was over a year ago. Don't know if the rep did something in house, or what.  All I know it's still working!!!
Best Answer
0 Votes

I did not read the whole thread but I wanted to add my story here for other people that google and find this:

This happened to my wife last year:  I don't know the model but my wife's Fitbit turned 14 months old and flat out died.  Not even the slightest performance issue prior to that.  Just dead.  Had to buy a new one.

This just happened to me now:  My Fitbit Versa 3 lasted 13 months and died (It's stuck in a reboot-loop where it just keeps rebooting) and I'm currently chatting with support for assistance.

I just calculated my cost of ownership of my Versa and it was $16.25 for each month that I owned it.  I used to have a Blaze 2.  The thing was a TANK and it worked beautifully for about 3 years.  Thing wasn't even water proof or resistant I think and I'd go swimming with it etc etc.  I loved that thing.  Anyway my cost of ownership of that was like $4 for each month of owning it.

If I have to pay for another fitbit then they will have lost a customer forever.  It's far too suspicious that these devices are failing after 13/14 months.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I ended up purchasing an Apple Watch which has been great. I owned two Fitbit’s which I loved, but neither of them made it past 14 months. The Fitbit company wouldn’t do anything about either one so I moved on. Sounds like this is an ongoing issue with Fitbit.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes
100%!!!!! I switched to a Samsung and have had ZERO issues. I have had it
for 2 years. Yes I pay $3.25 a month for it being linked to my phone plan,
but I can answer my phone, text, etc and it is also linked to my insurance
plan. So Fitbit absolutely lost a customer here. I would highly recommend a
Samsung Galaxy watch to anyone

--
Tracy St. Clair
Best Answer

my third fitbit in 4 years...dies within 13 months like clockwork and only get an offer to "buy another at a discount!" instead of creating a product that actually lasts. taking my business elsewhere. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
if you have an android phone think about a Samsung watchStill going strong 16 months later!
Best Answer
0 Votes
I decided to buy an Apple Watch. Have had it for two years now and no problems. Too bad as I loved my Fitbit but they don’t back up their product except for a very lame discount to purchase another one.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
I just bought an Apple Watch! Now I need to go get a new iphone as mine
is a 7 and the new Apple Watch only works with 8 or higher.

Yes, Fitbit gives a lame discount to buy from them time and time again. 🙁

Thank you for your input!
Best Answer

Same thing has happened to me. It is frustrating because I really liked my Versa but am tired of it breaking conveniently after the warranty runs out and not being replaced. I think I am going to try a different fitness tracker now 😞 Fitbit should consider either extending their warranty or at the very least giving a larger discount to purchase a new watch. They will probably continue to lose loyal customers if the watches continue to not work after the warranty is up and they only offer 35% off.

Best Answer
I switched to the Samsung Galaxy Watch Series and have had the same one for
nearly 2 years with no issue at all. Absolutely LOVE it!!!!

--
Tracy St. Clair
Best Answer
0 Votes
Agreed! I really liked my Versa too. Just can't get used to my Apple
watch, but at least I know it will last as every relative and friend I
talked to before my purchase had their Apple watch for 5, 6, 7, 8+ years
with no issues, so well worth the "Apple" price not to have to buy a new
fitness tracker every single year! Good luck with your venture away from
Fitbit.
Best Answer
0 Votes