Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alta Battery draining fast

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Can you replace the battery for Alta Fitbit?  Mine is only 2 years old.  The battery says it is charged but after a day and a half dies.  When you plug it in it says the battery is about 3/4 charged.  Fitbit is saying it has to be replaced.  I am not sure I want to continue using Fitbit if I have to shell out $130 or more every two years. 

Moderator edit: Updated title for clarity

Best Answer
139 REPLIES 139

No, the batteries are not replaceable. Im afraid that a couple of years is about the life for lithium ion batteries. There is some interesting information on them HERE at Battery University. But all devices that use these batteries, unless they are replaceable,  are the same. The battery fails so the product dies. That is life today, and not a failing of Fitbit. Try another brand if you like - but they are all much the same as far as batteries go.

Community Council Member

Helen | Western Australia

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer

Your lucky mine died today and it was only 1 year 2 months old ugh 

There on sale at target for 99.00 this week btw

Moderator edit: Merged replies

Best Answer

There are some 3rd party repair places to replace batteries or fix other issues, here is one example:  https://www.joesge.com/pages/repair-services

You'd want to consider repair vs. replacement costs.

Best Answer
0 Votes

My Fitbit is only a year and a half old. The battery will not stay charged for more than twelve hours

Best Answer

I’m having the same problem after only a couple of years.  Very disappointing to spend so much money only to find out you can’t replace the battery but instead have to buy a whole new activity tracker..  This is a very expensive “throw away”!

Best Answer
If it's been less then 2 years call them they'll replace it free of charge
Best Answer

I am in the same situation. My Fitbit Alta is less than 2 years old, but the battery only holds its charge for about 12 hours.

I am appalled by how wasteful it is to have to throw away a perfectly good Fitbit simply because it needs a new battery.

It's bad product design.

Whoever heard of a watch where you can't change the battery???

Best Answer

My Alta that is about 2 years old won’t even change.  In the beginning I got about 5 days out of it and then after about a year I was lucky to get 2.5 days and for the last 6 months or so maybe a day and now it won’t hold a charge.  I called Fitbit about purchasing a replacement battery but was told the battery isn’t replaceable.  They did offer me a discount if I wanted to buy another Fitbit.  No way am I going to buy this product again, even with their courtesy discount.  

Best Answer
There's only a 2 year warranty
Best Answer
0 Votes
It has not been two years but does that include batteries?

Get Outlook for iOS
Best Answer
0 Votes
If it's under 2 years they send you a label take the whole thing back the
battery is built in so they send you whole new tracker
Best Answer
0 Votes
Thank you

Get Outlook for iOS
Best Answer
0 Votes
They said once over a year there is no warranty which I didn’t think there would be. I was quite willing to BUY a new battery but instead find out that the Fitbit is a throwaway. I’m not interested in buying another Fitbit just to have to replace it again in a year or two but thanks anyway for your feedback and ideas. 😀

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer
I chatted with them they told me to clean the post and connections which I already did and said don’t check stats or sync too often (that’s what it’s for and it dies when I’m asleep! So I hardly think it’s my fault it won’t stay charged for more than a few minutes). The first one I owned the charger design was trash and it broke. This is my second one and last one I might add

Get Outlook for iOS
Best Answer

Hi everyone! Good to see you all in the Fitbit Community Forums! 🙂

I'm sorry to hear you're having problems with the battery on your Fitbit Alta not lasting as it should 😕 I'd like to help you guys out.

If you're still under warranty and your battery isn't lasting at least 5 days with a regular usage, let me know and I'll be happy to escalate your case to our Support Team for them to get you back on track.

If you're outside the warranty (check the warranty terms and conditions here) and you'd like to see what are the available options at this point, let me knos and I'll be happy to help you out.

Anything else you guys may need, I'm here to help!

Ferdin | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Help others by giving votes and marking helpful solutions as Accepted

Best Answer

Whether they get replaced under warranty or not, these fitbits will never last more than a couple of years which means we are getting terrible value for money whatever happens.

This is a no win situation.

We unknowingly bought a product that has a very short life, and we will do our best to learn from that mistake.

If you want to help, FerdinandFitbit, please persuade the design team to make batteries replaceable in future models.  That is the only thing that would make me consider buying another. 

Best Answer

Good to see you around @Riatsala and thanks a lot for that suggestion which I think is great!

I can recommend checking this feature suggestion for having a replaceable battery on future Fitbit products. Feel free to add your vote and any comments you might have on the suggestion. Anything else you may need, I'm always around!

Ferdin | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Help others by giving votes and marking helpful solutions as Accepted

Best Answer

I bought my Fitbit Alta in the USA in May 2017. The battery is lasting only a few hours. Can it be replaced free of charge?

Best Answer
0 Votes
Ya there's a 2 year warranty call them
Best Answer
0 Votes