Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alta Battery draining fast

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Can you replace the battery for Alta Fitbit?  Mine is only 2 years old.  The battery says it is charged but after a day and a half dies.  When you plug it in it says the battery is about 3/4 charged.  Fitbit is saying it has to be replaced.  I am not sure I want to continue using Fitbit if I have to shell out $130 or more every two years. 

Moderator edit: Updated title for clarity

Best Answer
139 REPLIES 139

I purchased my fitbit alta in May 2017. My tracker won't last longer than 2 days with a full charge and now I can't even charge it. I'm hoping there is an easy fix, without that being to purchase a new fitbit tracker. Can you help?

Best Answer
G’day

I also bought mine in May 2017. It lasted only one day last weekend and then I charged it again, probably leaving it too long and it still seems to be about 3/4 charged. So I don’t know if the apparent overcharging helped. but all is well for the moment at least.

BD
Best Answer
0 Votes
Call them and they'll send you a shipping label if it's under the 2 years
warranty
Best Answer
0 Votes

Welcome to the Community Forums guys! 😄

@BSD38 @Lindssss If you're still under warranty (which varies depending on your location). For the locations where the warranty is of 2 years (the European Economic Area basically), you should still be in warranty. Please, let me know which is your situation and if you're still under warranty, I can escalate your case to have this taken care of. If you're out of warranty but still would like to know the available options, let me know!

@BSD38 I'm happy to hear that it seems to be working fine now though. If you get to experience any issue again, let me know so that I can help you out with this.

Ferdin | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Help others by giving votes and marking helpful solutions as Accepted

Best Answer
0 Votes

Heeeeelp!!!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Mine dies after about 5 hours and of course is out of warranty. I got offered a discount (which is less than I get through my company's wellness program), but really not sure I want to throw away $100+ every couple years. Ridiculous that the battery can't be changed if they know it doesn't last that long.

Best Answer

I've had my Fitbit Alta less than 6 weeks, initially battery stayed charged all day and was only 20-25% used when i plugged it in at nite to recharge.  3 days ago it died after about 3 hours,  cleaned the prongs, recharged same thing last couple of days.  Aargh, not what I expected.  Going to turn off as much as I can, but don't understand what changed so drastically to go from several days of charge to mere hours!   

Best Answer

Smiley FrustratedYeah mine is 2 years old and it will not decide what battery it is. I try to charge it, but if I take it off and don’t wear it, the next time I check it is out of batteries! It is so weird! Though I’m not surprised either, it is old.

Best Answer

I am out of warranty but would like to know what my other options are? Thank you!

Best Answer

Just bought my Alta March 27th and it’s already toast. Battery will no longer charge, now what? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Welcome to the forums @DragonsUnite17 and @Mlapointe ! It's nice to see you around @Susan19 and @Keithena ! I am sorry for the delayed response. 

@Susan19 thanks so much for taking the time to troubleshoot the battery issue you're experiencing with your Fitbit Alta. I've gone ahead and escalated your case to our Support team, for them to take a deeper look at this. Please keep an eye on your inbox for further instructions.

@DragonsUnite17 thank you for sharing your experience. Have you tried to restart your device? I recommend doing that several times. Please also check our tips for preventing battery drain at Can I improve my Fitbit device's battery life? since battery use is affected by various factors and settings. 

@Keithena I understand your concern. I have created a case for you so our Support team can provide options based on your warranty. In the meantime, I'd like you to take a look at this page for more information about the warranty policy.

@Mlapointe thank you for sharing your experience. I could see that you got in touch with our Support team about this and that they were able to help you. I appreciate your time and efforts. 

I'll be around if you need further assistance.

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
0 Votes

unfortunately that’s not true. their warranty period is 45 days! terrible. going 2 get a different brand of smart watch/tracker with better support 

@KMC6714 wrote:
If it's been less then 2 years call them they'll replace it free of charge
Best Answer
0 Votes

Welcome to the Fitbit Community @monicajlevy . 

Thank you for sharing your experience. I would like to clarify that Fitbit has a 45-day return policy, so anything purchased directly from Fitbit can be returned for a refund for any reason within 45 days of shipment. 

Our limited warranty provides repair or replacement of Fitbit-branded products that have a defect while still in the warranty period. The warranty period depends on the location. You can take a look at this page for more information about the warranty policy.

Feel free to reach out if you have any other questions.

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am having the same problem. Mine is less than 6 months old.  First the band kept falling apart, ok I fixed that but now the battery dies in hours. It seems to be charging and will say full but then it’s kaput not long after.  Very irritating.  No wonder my daughter went with a Garmin product. Ugh!

@Susan19 wrote:

I've had my Fitbit Alta less than 6 weeks, initially battery stayed charged all day and was only 20-25% used when i plugged it in at nite to recharge.  3 days ago it died after about 3 hours,  cleaned the prongs, recharged same thing last couple of days.  Aargh, not what I expected.  Going to turn off as much as I can, but don't understand what changed so drastically to go from several days of charge to mere hours!   

Best Answer
0 Votes

Welcome to the Fitbit Community @SunsetRunner. I am sorry for the late response. 

I'm sorry to hear about your experience with your Alta's band and battery and I am here to help you. I am glad to hear you fixed the issue with the band. I recommend to restart your device as described in this help article. This will refresh your device internally. Please review our tips for preventing battery drain at Can I improve my Fitbit device's battery life? as battery use is affected by various factors and settings. 

Let me know how it goes!

Best Answer
0 Votes

same trouble here. I just got it as a gift this Christmas. Even when fully charged, it dies after less than 2 days. Then when plugged in, it shows it is actually 3/4 charged. Very maddening.

Dear Ferdinand,

I am in exactly the same situation and very frustrated. I got this Alta as a Christmas gift along with a very nice extra band. It dies daily now. That means it is exactly 5 months old. My first Fitbit lasted more than 3 years!

Please tell me how I get it replaced. This is maddening.

Moderator edit: merged reply

Best Answer

Hi @yankeedoodlered, it's nice to see you again in our Community Forums!

Thank you for joining the conversation and sharing your experience with Fitbit Alta which you received as as a gift. I appreciate the information that your first Fitbit lasted more than 3 years. I totally understand how you are feeling and I am here to help you. Our Support team will be glad to review your options based on your warranty, however I would like to confirm first if you've tried to restart your tracker by following these steps: How do I restart my Fitbit device? 

Keep me posted on the outcome!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Over the last couple of days I have reset my Fitbit multiple times. It will sync and indicate the battery is full. And then shut down less than 24 hours later. Sometimes it will only last 6 to 8 hours.

I have reviewed the documentation on extending battery life, and I don't have any draining activities enabled.  

Best Answer

Hi @SunsetRunner, thank you for your reply. 

I appreciate your troubleshooting efforts and the additional details. Since the issue persists, I've sent your case to our Support team so they can investigate further and provide a solution. You will receive an email from them soon.

If you have any questions, feel free to let me know.

Best Answer
0 Votes

My Alta wouldn’t do anything or charge. I believe the battery is dead. I’m disappointed because it lasts less than 2 years. The warranty is one year which expired. Are there any available options for me?

Best Answer