Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alta HR dead?

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

My Alta HR appears completely dead. It doesn’t appear to even be charging. I ordered a new charger just to be certain but it’s made no difference. I’ve also tried the restart/reboot to no avail. Can anyone help?

Best Answer
22 REPLIES 22

I’m having a similar issue. It worked perfectly yesterday. I charged it overnight. It shows that it is fully charged, but my Fitbit display shows absolutely nothing. It seems like it is dead, but it shows that it is up to date and fully charged in my Fitbit app. 

Best Answer
It’s odd isn’t it. Customer Services have been no help to me either. They
suggested reboots but my original message stated that the display is dead
so I can’t see anything. If they’d have just read the message properly then
they’d have known that a reboot isn’t possible. It’s less than 6 months old
so there’s no reason why it should become totally unresponsive. Seems like
a common problem though tbh and I’d totally avoid Fitbits in the future for
this reason. The chargers for this model aren’t fit for purpose either imo.
Best Answer
That really is odd that your Fitbit died after 6 months. Mine is 2.5 years
old at least.

And amazingly, for no apparent reason, my Fitbit display started working
again last night. We will see how long this lasts...
Best Answer

Hello @Nickie449 

First and foremost I apologize for the late response. I understand you have tried restarting your Fitbit Alta HR but that has not resolved your issue. I would suggest trying to clean your gold colored contacts on both your Fitbit Alta HR as well as on the charger itself. Look here to see the proper way tho cleanse those contacts: https://help.fitbit.com/articles/en_US/Help_article/2005/?q=Clean&l=en_US&fs=Search&pn=1 After cleaning your contacts then try recharging your Fitbit again. If you still are experiencing issues then try again restarting your Alta HR. You may have to try this several times in a row. Many individuals either forget to press the button on the charger doing this or have difficulty finding the button. I’ll provide the correct restarting procedure here: 

Here’s how:

1. Plug your charging cable into a USB port on your computer or any UL-certified USB wall charger.
  2. Clip the other end of the charging cable to the port on the back of the tracker. The pins on the charging cable must lock securely with the port. You’ll know the connection is secure when the tracker vibrates and you see a battery icon on your tracker’s display. Your tracker will begin charging.
  3. Press the button on your charging cable 3 times within a few seconds, briefly pausing between presses. The button is on the end of the charging cable that is plugged into your computer. When you see the Fitbit logo and the tracker vibrates, this means the tracker has restarted.
  4. Unplug your tracker from the charging cable. Now try sync your Alta HR
    330A7EC5-BBC7-436C-A735-F7A12CFE64B3.png

😃 please let me know if this resolves the issue. Keep me posted

Best Answer
  • Mine (Alta) just died at around 1 yr of age. I did all of these things to no avail. It's  dead. What is the lifespan supposed to be? It's a disappointing price per month of use but I did like the reminders to move, etc. 
Best Answer

I’ve tried everything but it doesn’t work.   Really like the Alta HR too. 😢

Best Answer

I followed the instructions on restarting my Fitbit, and it's back to life. Cleaning the contacts did nothing but pressing the button on the charging cable resolved the issue (3 quick presses with only very brief pauses between each press). Thank you!

Best Answer

there is no response even after trying to recharge or pressing the restart button thrice or more. the logo does not appear. are there any service centres in india?

Best Answer

This video solved my issues. My Fitbit was completely dead, in and out of the charger. The solution involves tapping in places where there are not obvious buttons. I was skeptical but it worked. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSqr5YZ1n08

Step-by-step guide: https://starrguide.com/turn-on-dead-fitbit-alta/
Best Answer

Thank you!  This resolved my issue exactly!!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Worked back to life! Phew

Best Answer
0 Votes
I need to locate my alta
Best Answer
0 Votes

My fitbit Alta is responding when I tap on it, but that is only when it is connected to the charger. Also, I keep on getting the battery with exclamation sign in it. Does it mean there is an issue with the battery of my tracker? How to get this fixed?

Best Answer

I am having the same issue. My Alta only works when plugged in. 

Does the battery need to be replaced?

Best Answer
0 Votes

The ! screen means you need to charge it immediately.

Best Answer
0 Votes

This may need to happen if you are way beyond cleaning the contacts, pressing the button on the charging cable and waiting about an hour - replace the battery. Only do this if you have patience and grace, and a soldering iron. 

there’s a video on YouTube that shows how to replace the battery (even for the plain Alta as well)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aE_8u2wtIOI

Best Answer
0 Votes

Not being funny but this is such a ridiculous answer. You’d have to be stupid not to have tried this before even posting to ask for help with the issue. Please don’t insult my intelligence. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Tried ALL solutions, including cleaning the contacts and battery etc. It’s as dead as a door nail! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I wasn’t being funny or shady here. I just shared what I knew from experience. I don’t have anything to gain by being condescending to another person in need. 

Best Answer
0 Votes