Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alta HR not syncing

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I purchased the Alta HR and set it up on the dashboard with my iPad Air 2.  Everything worked fine on April 30.  Since then it will not sync.   I have tried a hard start on both the tracker and iPad, tried to sync on my iPhone, and tried disconnecting everything and tried it again.   I have not removed the tracker and reentered it on the app.  Should I do that?   Is this all a part of what Fitbit is working on?   Thanks

Best Answer
63 REPLIES 63
Thanks! It synced with my computer and my iPad, so I knew Bluetooth was functioning. Turned off the Bluetooth, deleted the Fitbit app (first, of course), and then turned everything back on, and it finally worked.
Best Answer
I got it worked out with Fitbit tech support on the phone.

Audrey
Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
I don't get notifications on my fitbit. I'll try the other when I have
time, but this has been a problem from when I first installed it, so I have
little hope that any of this will help unless you know someone has actually
fixed it and that the fix is in the latest update.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm happy to read that you guys are back on track @Bbrie & @Turtlesalute! Thanks for sharing this with the rest of the community too. This is what the Community is all about: sharing solutions and Fitbit knowledge. Keep it up! 

@CaroleS2 please note that your mobile device needs to be listed as compatible on fitbit.com/devices for it to be properly linked to your Alta HR and to receive notifications. If your mobile device is compatible, then I recommend checking out these articles:

I really hope this helps. Keep me posted! Smiley Happy

Mariam | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Did you receive the answer you were looking for? Mark the post as an accepted solution! 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes
It's my PC, not a mobile device. All I shared was a work around and frankly
I am only interested in a fix not a continuous list of"try this". Not
impressed with fit bit support.
Best Answer
0 Votes

@CaroleS2 please note that Call & Text Notifications only work if you have your Alta HR linked to a compatible mobile device, not a computer.

Are you referring to Call & Text Notifications or Reminders to Move? Do clarify this info for me.

I'll be looking forward to your new comments! Smiley Happy

Did you receive the answer you were looking for? Mark the post as an accepted solution! 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes
My PC does not get data from my fit bit. I have to put my phone near the
fit bit then the phone by my PC to get the dashboard updated. This is
about syncing, not notifications. You obviously have no understanding of
this issue. Unless you know there's a fix for the syncing problem, please
stop contacting me. I have a work around and frankly I am tired of wasting
my time on this.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Sorry about the misunderstanding, I though you were referring to Notifications because you mentioned it here in this post @CaroleS2.

I'll go ahead and create a case on your behalf for our Support Team so they can further troubleshoot this with you. Keep an eye on your inbox! Smiley Wink

Just as a friendly reminder that the syncing issues with our PC might be caused due to the fact that if you receive call, text, or calendar notifications on your Fitbit Alta HR, your Fitbit has a Bluetooth "bond" with the phone that sends the notifications. This bond prevents the Fitbit Alta HR from syncing with another phone, tablet, or computer.

To quickly and temporarily disable the bond, turn off Bluetooth on your phone or tablet. You can turn it back on later to resume syncing.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@"MariamFitbit wrote:

This bond prevents the Fitbit Alta HR from syncing with another phone, tablet, or computer.

To quickly and temporarily disable the bond, turn off Bluetooth on your phone or tablet. You can turn it back on later to resume syncing."

I am also stuck in sync hell with my new Alta HR.

Rather than having to turn off phone Bluetooth, why can't it use the same internal logic as my old Surge which seemed very happy to synch to a multiplicity of devices. Notifications etc worked fine on that too, unlike the Alta, and it also managed to reliably detect outdoor biking.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Mine isn’t working as well. I have tried restarting my device and turning Bluetooth off and on but it says it’s dead and syncing won’t work.

thanks

Best Answer
0 Votes

@MariamV wrote:

Hello guys! I've seen that some of you have been having issues trying to sync your Alta HR trackers. I'll leave here some troubleshooting steps, I hope you find these steps helpful! Smiley Happy

First, let's start with a restart; then I suggest taking a look at this post and attempt the troubleshooting shared in there. Hope this helps, keep me posted!

Smiley Happy Smiley Happy

I have tried all of the above troubleshooting steps and downloading the software again. Hi
I got a Fitbit Alta HR for Christmas and it won’t sync I have tried turning it off and resetting the software, I have tried to reinstall the app and I have also tried turning on:off the data:Bluetooth to see if this would resolve the problem but it just keeps saying looking for Fitbit.
Can someone please help with this. Thanks

Best Answer
0 Votes

@MariamV wrote:

Hello guys! I've seen that some of you have been having issues trying to sync your Alta HR trackers. I'll leave here some troubleshooting steps, I hope you find these steps helpful! Smiley Happy

First, let's start with a restart; then I suggest taking a look at this post and attempt the troubleshooting shared in there. Hope this helps, keep me posted!

Smiley Happy Smiley Happy

I have tried all of the above troubleshooting steps and downloading the software again. Hi
I got a Fitbit Alta HR for Christmas and it won’t sync I have tried turning it off and resetting the software, I have tried to reinstall the app and I have also tried turning on:off the data:Bluetooth to see if this would resolve the problem but it just keeps saying looking for Fitbit.
Can someone please help with this. Thanks

Best Answer
0 Votes

I've tried deleting the app and logging back in my Fitbit will still not sync it worked last week 

Best Answer

I purchased the Alta HR and installed the Fitbit app on my Windows phone. It worked the first week with the sync and all, but I noticed the bluetooth connection started to reboot or something, making my fitbit app not syncing correctly or losing its recently synced data. After a week it stopped being able to sync completely.

I solved this by syncing using bluetooth to the fitbit app on my computer, and the phone synced from that data over wifi.

It may be a fault in the windows OS for windows phone of older models. My phone is a Lumia 1520. I can see heartbeat and immediate data on the phone as I am out walking and I can interact with the fitbit Alta HR, but not reliably and with several seconds delay at starting the app or just checking my fitbit app fast. The complete daily syncing using bluetooth between my Alta HR and the phone no longer works it seems and if I do not use the computer as intermediary, there will never be any sync.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I've bought many fitbit devices (at least five) and at first I loved the Alta HR...until it quit syncing. I do everything the menus say to do, have the phone set for continuous everything, but getting the device to sync is like begging, pleading, nagging and mostly being ignored. Usually what it says is "device not found" but often it appears to sync, yet changes none of the data. What's the point of wearing it? Epic fail, fitbit. Yes, I've tried all that you suggest in the help section, including updating, uninstalling/reinstalling, etc. Nothing works consistently. It's especially useless when I am away from my home computer.

Best Answer
The only way that my Alta HR synchs is if it is NOT paired with my
computer. But it works well that way. Even the Fitbit people were surprised
at that.
Best Answer
0 Votes
Most of the time mine syncs well with the phone and if I put my phone near
my computer it will sync there, too. Fitbit should do better but they don't
seem to care. I started this chain and there obviously hasn't been a
solution from fitbit.
Best Answer

I tried "unpairing" it from my computer but that did not help. I removed the dongle so I know it couldn't be communicating directly with the computer. This didn't help, though. My last sync was yesterday afternoon and even when I hold the phone in my hand and hit "sync" in the app, the wheel turns for a minute and I get a red exclamation point. No clue from the device why it won't sync.

Best Answer
Can't help. I'm just another somewhat frustrated user. Contact Fitbit.
Best Answer

I try both (holding phone and/or computer less than two inchs from the fitbit) and it still won't work. I couldn't add up the cumulative amount of time I've spent trying to get it to sync. Technology of any kind seems to have compatibility issues built into the updates. I'm starting to think this may be intentional since various tech support people I've contacted over the years for different products always encourage me to buy a new device/computer/app etc. Manufacturers want to keep us buying. The fact that this has gotten much, much worse over time (the Fitbit is almost three years old) and that support for older devices is all but nonexistent seems to reinforce the idea that we can't expect anything to last very far beyond the next new product or update.

Best Answer