Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Band Broke

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I've had my Alta since April and the band broke at the connector to the actual fitbit part. I can't wear it as it does not stay on, at all. Is there any way this can be fixed?

Best Answer
0 Votes
86 REPLIES 86

Customer service refused to help me. I have been without my Fitbit for almost a week and really miss it. Asked to speak to manager and was on hold for over ten minutes with no one coming back to phone to offer support.

Moderator edit: format

Best Answer

I guess that I was lucky then.  I sent out a tweet with my problem and they replaced my band after I provided them photos of the defective band.  This was the second band replaced though, I bought the first replacement myself.

It may be worth trying twitter. Companies typically respond quickly to negative feedback there. If my band goes again and Fitbit hasn't figured out how to make them last more than a few months, I'm going to have to move to something else.

Best Answer

The first time my band broke I sent an email and it was quick and easy and painless. The 2nd band that broke I could not seem to find the email address and I ended up using the live chat thru my laptop. It was a bit painful and they told me they were doing ME a favor by replacing my band for a 2nd time because my warranty had run out by a week or 2. I was not happy. It is NOT my fault I have had 2 broken bands in a years time. I keep saying the company needs to find a way to make the band better and last longer than 6 months. I am NOT the only costumer having this same problem. It is the problem of Fitbit and they are not making me very happy.

Best Answer

Judygarth, It makes me wonder why they kept you on hold for so long. That is terrible. I am sorry no one was able to speak to you and help you out. I would be furious. I hope someone on here sees your message and reaches out to you and helps you.

Best Answer
not surprised.   i forced them into giving me a new one a year ago.   now this one is bubbling too....on both sides.   it's a huge product defect....and the company knows it.  
Best Answer

Thanks, they are treating me as if I am crazy. Amazon Prime is not
standing supporting me by demanding they send me another Fitbit that is not
defective.
--
Judy 

Moderator edit: Removed personal information

Best Answer
0 Votes

I think part of that is that there aren't any that are not defective. I've been doing some research lately and I've found this same problem had been coming up a lot with different models since at least 2015. So unless Fitbit figures out how to make a band that doesn't need to be replaced in 6 months or less, I'm switching products.

It's hard to win lost customers back. I'm pretty sure I know what I'll replace the Alta with when the band fails again, I don't think it's an if it falls again at this point. And it's a competitor that is highly rated. And durability is actually called out in the review I read. You can't stay on top with defective products. I hope Fitbit learns that. Unfortunately, I don't think I'll be sticking with them to see if they can fix their otherwise nice products.

Best Answer

I have the HR. This is the second time my band broke. I got a replacement the first time now I can't get another because of my warranty. I don't understand why I can't send in for repair. It seems poorly made if the band keeps breaking. Disappointed...

Best Answer

Thanks for your input. I gave up because I didn't receive any help. Just
sent Fitbit back to company. There is an irony; they are now selling the
Fitbit Altar for $99. Imagine the gaul.
--
Judy

Moderator edit: Removed personal information

Best Answer
0 Votes

My third band is in the process of separating. They seem to be good for around 6 months. I'm not going to replace this one. I'm likely done with Fitbit at this point.  I got a different activity tracker for free at a conference so I'll be using that's for a while. The sad part is it's a fairly inexpensive one and the band is much more solid than the band on the Alta.

It does lack some features, but I'm at the point of refusing to get nickeled and dimed to poverty by Fitbit. I'm still waiting for my long term replacement to be released, but I'm looking forward to getting it. Sorry Fitbit, you've lost a customer.

Best Answer

Yes, as some have pointed out, Customer Support is very responsive and helpful, and its nice to see people getting so bubbly over the great support... BUT... Fitbit has a problem, and its customers have a bigger problem... The wrist bands continue to break and separate from the watch piece. I've purchased three Fitbits in the past 3 years, and the watch band has cracked or separated on each model all within one year of purchase (1 Fitbit Alta, and 2 Fitbit Charge). My original Fitbit Charge HR band began to crack at 9 months and eventually separated from the watch at 13 months, just out of warranty, so there was no replacements of the band, although Fitbit did offer me a discount on a new purchase. Most recently my Fitbit Alto rubber straps began to separate from the hard plastic clip piece within 4 months of light use, and finally broke off after just six months. Fitbit has agreed to send me a replacement band, but while I wait, I can't use my Fitbit for several weeks... If Fitbit wants to continue to provide a premium product at a premium price, then Fitbit should get this watch band/strap problem figured out soon! Just sayin'...

Moderator edit: Updated subject for clarity 

Best Answer

I repaired my wife,s Alta strap and it is lasting well after many failed attempts.1st clean the inside and the plastic ends with rubbing alchol and let it dry.2nd use PL premium construction adhesive available at building supply stores. With a tooth pick spread a thin amount of adhesive on the inside of the strap,then push the hard pieces of plastic into the strap.After the plastic piece is in place were you want it use a twist tie around the strap close to the end to hold the strap to the hard plastic piece if necessary adjust and tighten. Repeat same procedure for other 1/2 of strap. Leave dry overnight. Remove twist ties and reinstall on Fitbit. I hope this is  helpful as it is working well for us .Good Luck spread it around if it works for you like it has for us it’s an easy fix for a huge pain in the Butt.

Best Answer

I have 2 bracelets. The first one was damaged at the holes. The rubber came off with the lock. The second one is now damaged at the part of the lock. The rubber of the strap is separating from the part of the lock. But I have had my Alta for 2 years now. So I doubt if it’s still under warranty and also I am from the Philippines. Any suggestions please? Replacement bracelets are pretty expensive 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for the suggestion and will try your way.

i used super glue which worked for like a week but now it’s gaping again

Best Answer

Do you think they will send me a replacement bracelet all the way to the Philippines and I have had my watch for 2 years now?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I had the same issue. My original Alta band broke about 10 months after purchase, so I contacted customer service and they sent me a new one with no issues. It was a pleasant experience. So now, after 8 months of wear, the replacement band has broken. It disconnects from the tracker part and won't stay on. I'm lucky I haven't lost my device. I called customer service today and expected to have another positive interaction with them and get a replacement band. Instead, they told me that since it's been over a year since my device was activated, it's no longer under warranty, even though the replacement band broke in less than a year. I was told I can buy a new band through their website. This has greatly reduced my opinion of their customer support when they won't stand by a product for even a year. I'm looking at other devices. I can't afford to keep buying fitbit products.

Best Answer
I have gone through several shops here in my country (the Philippines) including the shop where I bought my Fitbit in the first place. Apparently, they no longer sell the replacement bands. I was advised to buy it online.

To be honest, I kind of feel disappointed. I love my Fitbit and how it helps me keep track of my steps, my sleep and water intake. But to go through 2 bands in 2 years is a bit sad. And to find out I can no longer buy replacement bands in a store but have to buy them online is another disappointment.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

My wife's Alta band separated too. Started using it over a year ago, so no support from support. I'm going to try gluing too (see post above). If that does not work, will try eBay. Bands from fitbit are too expensive ($30).

Very disappointed. .

Oh, I'm going to try a 2-part epoxy, clear.  

Good luck, Eric

--- Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do.
Flex (Christmas 2014), ChargeHR (Christmas 2015). Wife is using the Flex now! Nope, that Flex has died. Alta ordered 12/15/16 as Flex replacement. So far, she likes it. Nope, alta battery only lasts 2 days, started at 7. Support contacted 12/7/17. Hope warranty covers it.
Best Answer

Just in case anyone wants to see a picture, since I already uploaded it.  Size S/PSize S/P

--- Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do.
Flex (Christmas 2014), ChargeHR (Christmas 2015). Wife is using the Flex now! Nope, that Flex has died. Alta ordered 12/15/16 as Flex replacement. So far, she likes it. Nope, alta battery only lasts 2 days, started at 7. Support contacted 12/7/17. Hope warranty covers it.
Best Answer
0 Votes

None of these solutions help.  I've 3 fitbits (two Charge HR's and 1 Alta) the bands have broken on all of them right after the warranty was up and Fitbit won't help.  Like one person on here, I refuse to pay for another one or a new band as the rep suggested, because I don't need a new band, it just won't stay on!

Really bad customer service for a product this expensive especially after I've two other ones do the same thing.

Best Answer