Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Battery Symbol with Exclamation Mark

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

My Alta suddenly stopped working and now just has a battery symbol with an exclamation mark in the middle. Can anyone help?

Best Answer
72 REPLIES 72

I'm having the same issue.  My Alta has worked beautifully for several years, and I've been very happy with every fitbit product I've had.  That said, mine is still "working" on my app, just not the Alta itself.  I've tried the restart, is there something else I can try?  What does the symbol mean?

Best Answer
0 Votes
Since you've already restarted and hopeful reset, now you need to charge it
completely before using. I get this several times when I've forgotten to
completely charge my fit bit, and keep trying to use it.

~Mairvette
Best Answer
0 Votes

I charged last night and my phone app shows it completely charged.  I'll have to contact customer service.  Thanks for the reply!

Best Answer
0 Votes

What does this mean?

Best Answer
0 Votes

The exclamation symbol just means the battery has gone too low, you can try resetting it by plugging it in and pressing the reset button, however this does not always work first time and can be very frustrating.

I would recommend just putting the alta fitbit on to charge and leaving it for around 30-45 minutes after which time you should see that the alta fitbit is now charging. This happens to me regularly as I forget to check the battery status. Really hope this helps as I know from experience how annoying it is and feeling utterly defeated Smiley Frustrated

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks this worked for me

Best Answer
0 Votes
No worries glad to be of help 😊
Best Answer
0 Votes

Welcome @Treebee74! Thanks for letting know that you are back on track. I'd like to kindly advise you to vote for @Tikki7’s post if it was of help.

Votes contribute to a positive reputation in the community. Earning votes and giving votes also factors into the Community Rank and the possibility to land a spot on the Most Helpful Authors list, located at the bottom right of every discussion category page.

Catch you later! 🙂 

Lucy | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Did you like my answer? Vote for it!

Best Answer

I have read the messages about fit bit Alta showing a battery with an exclamation mark.  I tried resetting and it didn't work.  Now I only get black screen (a couple days later).  Is there anything else I can try or is it just done?

Best Answer
0 Votes
Have you tried charging it thru the computer? I know mine did the same thing until I used the CPU to charge it.

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
Best Answer
Greetings, my problem was my charger wasn't connecting to my fitbit
properly, so it wasn't charging at all. Now I check the connection and
make sure it's charging. I sometimes need to reconnect to get it to
charge. I hope this helps.
Best Answer
Yes the charging cables and the way they fit the fitbits is a bit of a design flaw, in some of them. I have the ionic and Im always checking that the charger is connected as it’s a magnetic cable it’s tends to stick to everything other then the port on the back of the Fitbit 😊
Best Answer
0 Votes

I appreciate your help @Treebee74@indiarose,  and @Tikki7! Welcome to the Forums @Renemc! Thanks for sharing your experience with your Alta. 

Since your Alta is not lighting up the best is to ensure if the battery is charging. To do so, please make sure to follow these tips: 

• Clean the charging contacts using the instructions in How do I clean my Fitbit device?
  • Try a different USB port to charge your Flex. A UL-certified wall charger will also work. Don't use a USB hub.
  • Check the alignment and try reconnecting your tracker to the charging cable. For illustrations and tips on how to know if the connection is secure, see How do I charge my Fitbit device?
  • After all this, please try restarting your Alta once more. 

Keep me posted! 🙂 

Lucy | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Did you like my answer? Vote for it!

Best Answer

I am having the same problem. I have done all instructions in this post for a few times. The app says that the Alta is fully charged and Synced! But the new Device number doesn't appear when I try to set it as a new one. No matter what I do and how often I am doing it. Please, help!

Best Answer
0 Votes
I did have the same issues. I found that my charger wasn't connecting to
my device properly. Now I make sure that it is connected and charging. I
hope this helps!
Best Answer
0 Votes

This happened to me a while ago. I tried a few different things and it turned out to be that the charger wasn’t clipping in properly because the Fitbit was dangling and not laid flat whilst it was charging. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Maybe I’m crazy but for the life of me I can’t find a button on the charger.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Hi
The button should be on the top of the USB charger part, if you run your thumb over the charger you should feel it
Best Answer

@Cherielynn422  As @Tikki7 says it is on the plastic housing on the USB end of the cable rather than the clip end. Let us know if younstill cant find it.

Community Council Member

Helen | Western Australia

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer

I had this problem starting immediately after my 1-year warranty expired. Fitbit refused to troubleshoot beyond the basic instructions included in this post, or to replace my device. When I said that it was ridiculous that the device stopped working after a year, and, conveniently, right after the warranty expired, a manager told me that they "make no guarantees" about the lifetime of their products. Keep that in mind before spending $100 on another Alta! Very disappointed in this company and product.

Best Answer
0 Votes