Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charging Fitbit Alta for the first time

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.
I just purchased my Fitbit Alta and I am in the initial charging stage. How can you tell if it is actually charging? I accidentally hit the small button on the USB cable and now it's not showing a thing on the screen. The Fitbit logo was there now it's gone, ugh, something so small should not be this difficult to charge
Best Answer
124 REPLIES 124

I am not able to tap my fitbit to open and went through steps for reset. Talked with Dean at customer support and a link was sent to get a replacement. I cannot open the linl because it asks for a fitbit password and I do not have one. HELP

Best Answer

I think when you go into fitbit setup on your phone you set up a name and password.

I was frustrated too cause I couldn't tell if it was charging or setting up. First I set up my account on fitbit set up.com and downloaded the app. It said it saw the tracker but the bluetooth didn't sync. After plugging it into a wall plug and not being sure it charged  I plugged it into the computer port after i read that it was supposed to be plugged into a low charge USB and let it charge then I did what they suggested here . Tapped the button - who knew it was there? - at the end of the USB plug and voila I got the pass #. 

After that it said keep the fitbit close to the phone to update.

After 8 minutes the update was done and it now works.

They really need to include start up info in the box. It is frustrating to have to screw around with a device for an hour when it could have had step by step instructions that would make life easier 

Update:

I found moving the charger thing a bit helped it to connect on the back 

Update:

Move the charger piece on the back till you see the battery symbol. Once it is charged push the button on the USB end of the charger 3x waiting  a few seconds between  each depression. 

That is how I finally got it started.

Update:

Sylvia check out my answer at the end of this thread

Update:

Denise does yours work?

I got mine to work. Check out my answer at the end of this thread

Best Answer

where is the I icon located on my watch!  all I see is fitbit.com/setup

Best Answer
0 Votes

I had a similar problem, then realised I'd set up the app for the Alta HR, rather than the Alta.  Easy mistake to make, so might be worth checking.

Hope this helps!

Best Answer
0 Votes
Plug the charger into a computer USB port and charge the fitbit. Download the app onto your phone. After the fitbit charges open the app and the # should appear on the fitbit which you enter into the app to sync your Fitbit with your phone

Get Outlook for Android
Best Answer
0 Votes

It is nice to see that you visit the Community @Denisetrying@RhondaRJ@BLambertz75@Jojo54@cbrenton and @Jack100! I could read that some of you have issues to charge the Alta tracker. Please try the following tips to resolve the charging issues.

The contacts on the tracker or charging cable may be dirty. Clean the charging contacts on the back of the tracker, and the pins on the charging cable so that they are still bronze or gold in color. Proceed like this:

• Use a toothpick or an alcohol-moistened cotton swab.
  • Be careful not to scratch the contacts with a wire brush or other metallic objects. This can damage the coating and cause corrosion.
  • If you use a toothbrush, first dry it with a cloth or paper towel.
  • It may also be that the USB port is defective or that the tracker is not properly connected to the charging cable. Try different USB ports and make sure the tracker is properly connected to the cable.

Others in this thread seem to have difficulties with the set up. Please note the requirements and troubleshooting steps of this Help-site article.

If you tried everything and it still not work, please post again.

Have a nice day! Man Happy

Marcel | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Hat dir mein Beitrag geholfen dann markier ihn als Lösung und gib mir KudosSmiley Wink

Welche Musik hört ihr bei welchem Training?
Best Answer
0 Votes

How do I start

Best Answer
0 Votes
Start what?
Best Answer
0 Votes

Where is the button on the charging cable? Near the USB connector or the other end?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have tried this method several time and it still won’t turn on . After the 3 presses it shows the Fitbit sign and the software version then the /setup

a present that won’t work please

help 

Best Answer
Have you downloaded the app? You have to have it
Best Answer
0 Votes

The tutorials show a dongo and and say to push button charging cable.  I have neither.  How can I tell if unit is charging?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have tried everything to get my brand new Alta to charge. I was able to set it up and sync, but it won’t charge.now that I have tried to press the button to reset, nothing comes on the screen and it will not sync now. Help!!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have it on the charger but can't figure out how to turn it on. This site says to press the button on the charger three times. There's no button on my charger. Help!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am trying to connect an Alta HR to a computer or phone. I've tried a Chromebook, MacBook and iPhone and still no luck. It is unable to find the device and connect to it. Help!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I've had my fitbit alta for sometime but the wrist band for it broke and i just recently replaced it. I would say i havent used my Alta in almost a year. I plugged it in and its charged but when i tap the screen or turn my wrist towards me it wont turn on. Also whenever i sync my phone to it, it has a red circle with an exclamation mark in it.

Best Answer
0 Votes

My Fitbit not connected 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hmm... Dont know bout that

Best Answer
0 Votes

Charged but Bluetooth will not connect

Best Answer

I’m having this issue now how did you resolve it?

Best Answer
0 Votes