Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clasping and switching your Alta wristband

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

One of the trickiest parts of getting started with a brand-new wristband tracker is simply learning how to get it clasped properly. The following post can help you with that!

How do I clasp my Alta wristband more easily?

• Before putting the wristband on your actual wrist, you can clasp and unclasp your wristband repeatedly using both hands. This will help to loosen the holes in the band a little bit, and should make it a bit easier to clasp when it's actually on your wrist.
  • As detailed in this help article, most people have success with "pinching" the clasp between two fingers when they go to put it on. This will usually be more effective than simply pushing hard against your wrist, which is both awkward and potentially uncomfortable.
  • An awesome tip that has been shared by @Gmadiane is to place a drop of olive oil on the holes and push the clasp through. This seems to have worked for quite a few other users. Thanks for sharing!
    clasp.PNG
  • Once your wristband is clasped, make sure that both the metal prongs are securely in their holes, as shown below on the left. If one of the prongs is still loose, as shown on the right, then the band is not yet secure and may come off your wrist unexpectedly.
    clasp2.PNG

We're confident that you'll be able to get your alta clasped with just a little practice. Don't be discouraged if it's difficult at first - it definitely gets easier over time!

How do I change my Alta wristband?

Fitbit Alta's wristband is detachable from the top and bottom of the tracker, so that you can replace it with accessory bands of different color or material. For help with detaching your Alta's wristband, check the steps in this help article, or watch the video below. 

Best Answer
812 REPLIES 812

Hi @marmor. Tap Here for warranty information. Since you are concerned about the clasp, you may want to search for third party Alta bands with watch type bands. Amazon offers many in different styles, colors and patterns. Most are quite inexpensive. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Do you work for Amazon?

Sent from Shelley
Best Answer
0 Votes

If you look at how many times she's posted on the Fitbit forum I'd bet she worked for Fitbit. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Like me, she bought an Amazon band and still has her Alta on her wrist.
Mine is stainless steel and has a butterfly clasp. Like me, she wants to
help people who cannot fasten the band made by Fitbit (my mom cannot) and
she wants to help people not lose their Altas. Moderator, please delete the
trolls.
Best Answer
No I do not.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes
I don't understand your comments. I don't work for anyone

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

Also having problems with fastening the wristband. I can sense that I'm not going to remain a member of this community for much longer. Got the device for Christmas, since then it has dropped off my wrist 6 or 8 times, including outdoors twice, fortunately, both times it has been right outside my front door and I've been able to find it again. Next time I may not be so lucky. Thing is I'm absolutely certain that the pins were located correctly. Not impressed with the design and reluctant to spend money on a replacement band.

Best Answer

I own a charge 2 (really like it - no clasp issue). I came on  the forum to find help for my mom with the clasp. Arthritis. Anyway. I am still irritated about having to spend the extra $$$ @Inkboss. However I did find a 5 pack on Amazon for 14 and with my prime membership it shipped free. Her problem solved. Still mad I had to pay more to fix poor design. But she is happy and it works great ( watch band clasp) and that's what counts.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @michellesrover. If you and @Savysam are referring to me, the answer is no, I do not work for Amazon. Nor do I work for Fitbit. In fact, I'm retired from a large company where I worked in employee technical support, pretty much answering technical questions all day. Here on the Fitbit boards, I am a member of a small group of volunteers who enjoy trying to help others use and enjoy their Fitbit products. Note the "CC" in my signature. It stands for Community Council. You'll see several of us around. 

On a side note, it was severe, degenerative arthritis in my fingers that forced my retirement. The Alta is my favorite Fitbit device. It's small and compact. Fits my small wrist. And gives me the information I need. I understand the difficulty people like me can have with the Alta band. The hot water trick has worked for me on every Alta band I've had. But I also purchased several third party bands. I love the Alta but realize it is not for everyone. Lucky for us, we have options!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Sorry to hear about your arthritis @SunsetRunner .  I know how painful it is for my mom and how difficult it makes doing every day things that we all often take for granted. I'm hoping that you have found some treatments that work to help keep you feeling good and able to be active.

I can't believe you got the warm water trick to work but good for you.  So far spending the extra money like I said has worked - but again I know you have read my longer post of explaination of why we were so irritated in the first place (no choice on replacement and poor customer service) after seeing your explanation of the CC (never knew what that meant).  So thanks for the quick lesson.

Best Answer
I want you to know that my complaint about the Alta band is basically directed to Fitbit, not to any group or moderator. It seems that the point of these complaints are that although mistakes in manufacturing can happen, the company needs to address the defect. If the company doesn't want people to post negative comments and they want to keep their customers, I personally think that saying those of us having problems wearing the product (Alta) should just spend more money on a better band. The company did not tell me that I wouldn't be able to attach their product to my wrist
If they had, then I wouldn't have bought it. Transparency is important to me. It's sort of like duping your customers into buying a new band in order to use the Alta. Almost like selling the tracker without a band but, not notating that the band must be bought separately. Of course, there was a band on my Alta when I received it. It simply makes wearing my really nice tracker too difficult so I rarely wear it. Can you see what I mean? It's personal to me....not to a community blog monitor or to Fitbit CEO. Sure, I'll be buying a band from Amazon but, I'm not happy that I need to do that.

Sent from Shelley
Best Answer

Well put Shelley. I think you hit the nail on the head. Thanks!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Got the Fitbit today, all charged up and I'm ready to throw it out the window because I can't get it on! The strap us impossible to "snap" on. Anyone with any type of stuff fingers or disability will not be able to wear it without assistance. Extremely disappointed!

Best Answer

I live alone and found ways to snap it on. With my black band it was easier, I put my index and middle finger between the band and my wrist and use my thumb to push it together. Or if I can't get it to snap then I unhook the band from up by the tracker and snap it together in the holes, wrap it around my wrist and snap it on by the tracker. With some of the colored bands that was easier. Hope that makes sense, it's early morning so maybe I'm a little asleep yet.Smiley Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes

How do I put this on?!

Moderator edit: format

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have not been imoressed with the clisure on this at all! I lost the brand new Alta my son bought me for Christmas. Now i can tell you .. It was CLOSED properly. It still came off. So i replaced it yesterday with a brand new one (not cheap if you have to keep doing it). I charged it, wore it for less than an hour and lost it again!!! I found it in the house so we immediately began testing it. No matter how hard we tried it was EASIKY knocked off my wrist by someone swiping at it, bumping it alongsude a table edge etc. So, i tried my other brand new band. Same thing.

I contacted support only to be told they would send me a new band. This is pointless. It needs to redesigned with a buckle clasp. Not impressed at all!!!

No point in wearing it .. Will nust get lost! FRUSTRATED.

Best Answer
0 Votes
The Fitbit organization is losing money; I don't think they can afford to fix these problems.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm incredibly frustrated, and honestly ... If they don't fix issues like these they are only going to lose more money. They truly need to address it 😞

Best Answer

I totally agree with you about Fitbit may lose more money.  Early on they were apparently replacing lost Alta's; I think the latest is that they will offer a discount on a new one.  They may have even discontinued doing that.  For the amount of money we have all paid for Alta's and lost Alta's, we could be buying other pretty nifty devices that are much more accurate.  However, I do still like my Fitbit devices.  In my opinion, their One is the most accurate (just thought I would throw that in there).

Best Answer

It's a cinch to clasp using this method:

FullSizeRender.jpgIMG_6927.JPGIMG_6928.JPGIMG_6929.JPG

Best Answer