Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Alta track floors?

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Does the Alta track levels?

Moderator edit: edited title for clarity

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@Smplsmn@Goods An altimeter was not included in Alta in order to keep it as sleek and thin as possible, so @EricJRW@MakMak are both correct.

Erick | Community Moderator

It's all about the food! What's Cooking?

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
113 REPLIES 113
Does the Alta track flights of stairs?
Best Answer

Based on the info here, I would say no.

https://www.fitbit.com/alta

--- Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do.
Flex (Christmas 2014), ChargeHR (Christmas 2015). Wife is using the Flex now! Nope, that Flex has died. Alta ordered 12/15/16 as Flex replacement. So far, she likes it. Nope, alta battery only lasts 2 days, started at 7. Support contacted 12/7/17. Hope warranty covers it.
Best Answer

No, the Alta does not have an altimeter, so it cannot track floors.

MakMak | Community Council

If you find a response useful, please mark it as a solution to help others.

Check out the Lifestyle Forums for ways to get more active!

Best Answer

@Smplsmn@Goods An altimeter was not included in Alta in order to keep it as sleek and thin as possible, so @EricJRW@MakMak are both correct.

Best Answer

That sucks. I was thinking of maybe getting this over the Blaze but I'll stick with the Blaze. I likie the look of the Alta but the Blaze has more of the features I like.

Best Answer
If the new Alta doesn't measure flights why didn't they make it waterproof for swimmers. Ever hear of a triathlete?
Best Answer

Because it would cost more and so not hit the target market price at a guess. As stated elsewhere, Fitbit trackers are not targeting the waterproof market.

Mike | London, UK

Blaze, Surge, Charge 2, Charge, Flex 2 - iPad Air 2, Nokia Lumia 925 (Deceased), iPhone 6

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
@Mrh539, because that would make it perfect.
fitbit flex user
"I hope you never fear those mountains in the distance,
Never settle for the path of least resistance....." from "I Hope You Dance" by Lee Ann Womack
Best Answer

@Mrh539@JoanneinCA Since our trackers aren't designed to accurately track swimming, there's not much benefit to full waterproofing. If logging swimming or water activities is your end goal, I recommend manually logging those activities. All our trackers are water resistant - Alta won't be harmed if you wear it in the rain, or if it gets splashed.

Best Answer
What do have against swimmers? Don't you believe swimming is a fitness activity? I think if you marketed a trackers for swimmers you would open up an additional revenue stream.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

Somehow there aren't trackers which can track swimming yet.. also waterproofing a tracker means the tracker will become more expensive to purchase.

Best Answer
0 Votes

If Alta does not track stairs or heart rate, seems to me it is just a fashion statement and nothing more.

It is attractive, but not going to spend more money just to look good.  

Best Answer

Hi, @RosieAnn , yes, this device definitely falls into the "everyday" fitness category, but I am so addicted to my Fitbits that I can't bear to miss a step -- I really like that this one looks so much more like a bracelet than something the court ordered you to wear...!  Especially with the lovely pink leather or the metal (bangle) band, you can be dressed up and it won't be out of place.  It is a bit indulgent, but I don't think I'm going to be able to resist.

Sense, Charge 5, Inspire 2; iOS and Android

Best Answer

Not including HR I can understand as it's a low tier Fitbit bracelet but I agree about it not tracking flights. Seems they put to much focus on fashion this time around and left some really good features out. I get having an emphasis on fashion but flights of stairs, workout mode should just be included and fashion worked around those features and not left out to make it skinny.

Best Answer
Absolutely disagree with you. @matt9013 . There are lots of Fitbits that count flights, and plenty of choice for people who want that. This is the first one in quite some time that, like the Flex, is wrist worn but understated and discrete. Floor tracking would have added bulk (and expense)

Best Answer

@Julia_G

I agree that Fitbit offers a lot of choice for it's trackers and features. I just think that at a certain point some features should be in all future trackers like flights. I don't see price being an issue as my Charge can do it and that's the same price as the Alta. I don't see floor tracking adding a lot to the size personally.

Best Answer
Out of interest, why's that? I have no clue as to the size of an altimeter (that isn't designed for an aircraft) so I'd be interested in knowing how you work it out.

Mike | London, UK

Blaze, Surge, Charge 2, Charge, Flex 2 - iPad Air 2, Nokia Lumia 925 (Deceased), iPhone 6

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm just basing it off the fact that the Charge and other fitness bands have the feature and they aren't to blg. I could be wrong but with today's technology and the size of fitness bands now with the feature included I could see Fitbit adding it and not having to make the Alta overly big. Maybe a bit bigger but not much IMO.

Best Answer

I have very little idea about the size, but Fitbit have said that size was part of the consideration in leaving out the altimeter, and I am happy to take them at their word.  And while your Charge does have floors, it doesn't have other features that the Alta does have, so it is reasonable to accept that there might also be a pricing consideration.

And finally, the technology of registering floors, while impressive (it still amazes me that a little thing I wear on my wrist can and does notice when I go up one little flight of stairs), it is probably also the most complained about bit of the technology.  That's because it can't tell the difference between a hurricane blowing in (at the extreme end) and climbing the Statue of Liberty.  Fitbit openly admits that a gust of wind, or even a sudden door shutting can affect the floor count.  That being the case, it is hardly the sine qua non (without which nothing) of tracker technology.  It's a fun extra, very little more, and if it adds bulk and expense, it seems to me a reasonable decision to leave it out.

Just my opinion!  If floor tracking is important to you, you have lots of Fitbits to choose among.  Not every tracker is perfect for everyone.  That's why there are lots of different models!

Best Answer