Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alta randomly turns off

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Lately my Alta has been randomly turning off during the day. It is fully charged. Today around noon I checked it with no issues, and then again 5 mins later and it would not turn on. This has happened a few times lately, its just over a yr old. When I get home to plug it in, it shows the Fitbit logo and starts up, still showing a full battery. It does not track steps while it is turned off. How can I prevent this from happening, as it defeats the purpose of the device!!

Thanks 🙂

Best Answer
88 REPLIES 88

I've found that this occasionally happens to me as well.  I'm interested in what others have to say about this issue.

Best Answer

It's great to see you around @ski_n_surf @NikkiMS

Hmm this is pretty weird, this is not a normal behavior. I'd recommend performing the restart 2 or 3 times in  a row and make sure that your tracker is charge. IF you're tracker is not charging properly take a look at the charging best practices. 

Let me know how it goes! 

Magin | Community Moderator, Fitbit

If you find something helpful, give it a vote and don't forget to mark it as an Accepted Solution!

Best Answer
0 Votes

So I tried the reset, and it worked for a few days but then it happened again today. Again, battery fully charged. @MaginB

Best Answer

Thanks for replying back @ski_n_surf

In order to further assist you, I've gone ahead and escalated your case to our Support Team.

See you around! 

If you find something helpful, give it a vote and don't forget to mark it as an Accepted Solution!

Best Answer

I too have notice this happen on my Alta a few times. On thing I've noticed is that a couple times it happened when I was sitting, or laying in the sun for an extended period of time...as if the Alta was getting overheated

Best Answer
0 Votes

It's great to see you participating in the Community @scbrews

If you're still experiencing this inconvenience I'd suggest trying the troubleshooting tips that I've shared in my previous post and keep an eye on it. 

Keep me posted! 

Best Answer

I tried doing the reset, and something odd happened ... 

when I first plugged it in, the Alta was showing half-charged .

After I reset it twice, the battery showed as no-charge.  Is that crazy or what?

I let it charge for two hours and it was showing full. 

My Alta can usually go an entire week on a charge.  

I'm almost 100% sure my Alta has a problem with being exposed to the sun / heat, so the next sunny day, I'm going to test my theory . 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Mine seems to shut off at noon every day. I've done everything- uninstalled and reinstalled the app... unlinked and relinked the device, cycled off, etc. I have not had a good track record with this device since I got it. My Fitbit one was much better. Im calling customer service in the morning 

Best Answer

Yesterday in NC, it was about 80 degrees, and this happened again as I was sitting outside in the sun.

The Battery had been charged 2-3 days prior and it still had half a charge.  The only thing that I can say for sure is that the Alta was exposed to direct sunlight for about 15 minutes, and when I attempted to double-tap it to read the time, it had shut off. I took it inside and connected it to the charging cable, and it restarted, showing 1/2 battery.  

Can someone from Fitbit Support advised me on next steps?

thanks , 

Steve

Best Answer

This is obviously a fault as there are multiple comments & this is also happening to mine.

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Alta/Alta-turning-off-all-the-time/m-p/1541048 also has this problem.

It's a fault & you need to provide an update to the firmware to stop this happening.

I'll be contacting support in the morning to provide a replacement.

Best Answer

My Alta has been doing the same thing the last few weeks.  All of a sudden I tap & nothing - it's off (this pisses me off because then it's not tracking!).  As soon as I can, I set it on the charger & it restarts.  Battery is overall charged, even if not full.

Last night I logged into Connect (haven't been in for a while) & was advised of the Firmware update.  I installed it.  Now the battery is the first thing to show when I tap - it used to be the last.  I checked my settings - nothing changed there.  Battery showed fine when I got up this morning - almost full (had on charger for a while last night before bed).  Around 10:30 am, I tapped & nothing.  Alta shut down.  Back to charger - showed dead battery.  Seriously?!  Until researching on this site, I thought maybe I'd hit the end of the battery life (Alta is about 3 yrs old), but now I'm thinking it is a Fitbit issue.  Maybe it's time to call Customer Service.

Best Answer

The same thing is happening with my Alta.  I contacted support on Thursday and they had me reset the Alta, remove and resync it to my phone and it worked for all of less than 24 hours.  On Friday I did a reset yet again, removing and resyncing to my phone and it worked 2 days before it shut off again this morning.  It is super frustrating when you see it working one minute and it is "dead" the next.  I have tried to open a chat session with support today and that does not seem to be working either.  I'm at work so calling is not an option until I get out of work. Smiley Mad 

Best Answer

My alta has been turning off too. I've had it two years now.  It always seems to do it when the battery is half full. 

Best Answer

I have had my Alta for a little over 2 years and this week it just started to turn off.  I've charged it twice, yesterday and today, and synced it to my phone and everything appeared to be working.  But then a few hours later it just stops.  Someone mentioned resetting their Alta, but I am not familiar with how to do that and would be happy for a brief tutorial description.

Best Answer
My Alta has been shutting down for months. Started last year. It tells me I have about 1/2 life on the battery. Happens every couple days now. Next thing I know, I look down and it's dead. I posted to see if I was alone, which apparently, I'm not. It happened again 2 days ago and I'd had enough and called Fitbit. I believe the battery has hit the end of its life. I told them that and that I wanted to buy a repl battery. I was informed, first, that they are not getting complaints like mine, then I was told the battery cannot be replaced. I was very unhappy to learn that! They said they could test the battery to see if it is draining too fast, but I did not have my charger with me. The Alta needs to be fully charged and connected, then I guess they perform some kind of loan test on the battery. Here's the kicker. IF your battery is failing, they will then look at your warranty. If it is still under warranty, I imagine you would get a replacement. But like you, I am out of warranty, so scratch that. If you don't have warranty, then the best they can offer is 25% off a new one of your choice. BIG F---ING DEAL! Seriously, do I want another Fitbit in the hope that it too doesn't fail? I had nothing but problems with the Charge - was replaced 3 times under warranty. I finally gave up and bought the Alta. But I can't see throwing good money after bad. My advise, look at other brands to see if any of the others have better track records. Even if they do diagnose your Fitbit, chances are they won't fix it or replace it. I just can't see wasting my time with them. Paula
Best Answer

My Fitbit Alta is now turning off after a few minutes. The battery is full and it will sync OK. It stays on when plugged in the charger & it will sync. Remove the charger and it switches off. T used to show the time first when tapped now it shows the battery first.

Seems like this is a common fault. Has anyone found a solution ?

Best Answer

I am having the same issue with my 2-year old Alta.  It has been working fine for 2 years. Then the random switch off problem started about 1 week ago.  I called Support at least 2 times now, and they asked me to run the latest software update.  I did.  It did not take care of the problem.  I bought another Alta.  It has the same issue.  I do not think it is the Alta hardware problem, maybe the new software update has some issues.  Fitbit support, please help.  

Best Answer
My advice.  Return the Alta.  Fitbit knows there is a ptoblem, but appears to have no interest in resolving it.  My shut offs began well before I did the update, so I don't agree with your diagnosis.  I believe it's the battery & Fitbit has had battery issues all along.  But again, they offer no help & you can't replace the **ahem** battery!
Sent from my Boost phone.

Best Answer

Thank you so much. I guess I was hoping for a better solution.

Best Answer
0 Votes