Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android 9.0 (Pie) not able to sync

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Fitbit Update: 3/6/19

Hello everyone! 

We have some updated troubleshooting suggestions we'd like for all of you on Android Pie (9.0) to try. 

First, turn off Background Restrictions/Limitations: Phone settings > Apps & Notifications > Fitbit app > Background restrictions or Background limits.

Then, disable battery limitations:

1. Go to Settings > Apps > Fitbit app > Advanced > Battery > Battery optimization
  2. Change view to All apps
  3. Search for Fitbit app
  4. Choose Not optimized

Please give the steps above a try to improve syncing with your Fitbit device and Android 9.0 OS. We're still researching and testing out long-term solutions to this ongoing syncing issue. We thank you for all your patience while we continue to work on this effort.

Fitbit Update: 2/14/19

Hi everyone!

Thanks for all your reports and patience with these Android 9.0 syncing difficulties. We’re aware of this ongoing issue and have been working to identify a resolution as quickly as possible. 

We're sorry for any trouble. We appreciate your patience and look forward to getting you back on track as soon as possible. 

I'll let you know if I receive any additional information on this matter. 

Fitbit Update: 10/3/18 

Hey Everyone!

Our team is still working on implementing a longterm fix for syncing with Android devices on Pie (9.0). 

For the background syncing issue, I have posted an update in the other floated thread which you can find here

We released Fitbit for Android version 2.80 today which contains improvements for that syncing issue. 

I'll make sure to keep you all updated with more information, as soon as I have it available. We're still working on this and I really appreciate everyone's patience. 

Fitbit Update: 9/26/18

Hey everyone! 

Thanks so much for your patience and cooperation. We are aware of the issue and working with Google on a solution.

I will continue to provide updates here, so keep an eye on this thread. 

Fitbit Update: 9/10/18 

Hi, everybody! 

Thanks for your patience while our team continues to work on improving syncing for those on Android Pie (9.0). They are actively working on this and for the time being, I recommend you keep the Fitbit app updated on the latest version for best syncing results. Right now that is version 2.78, so if you're not on this version please update! Also, another troubleshoot we recommend is performing a restart on your phone. 

When there are more improvements made in the future I'll announce them here. Stay tuned and subscribed to this thread. 

Fitbit Update: 8/19/18

We have escalated these syncing issues for those who are now using Android Pie (9.0) to our team for investigation. There aren't any updates at the moment, but rest assured we will keep you informed in this thread when more information is available.

Thanks for your patience! 

Fitbit Update: 8/11/18 

Hi, everyone! Thanks for stopping by the Community Forums. Smiley Happy

Seems like many of you who updated to Android Pie (9.0) are now having trouble syncing your Fitbit trackers. I'm going to escalate this to our team so they can look into it.

In the meantime, please update the Fitbit app to version 2.76.1 if you haven't yet. Let me know if that changes the syncing behavior. Please follow this thread for updates. I'll keep you all posted here! 

Want to get more steps? Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
2,479 REPLIES 2,479

Using S9+ and today I got the "Pie" upgrade.

I have tryed uninstall, reboot, clearing bluetooth etc and all tips on the latest 10 pages here (I will NOT read 88 pages).

... Nothing helps! It can no longer find my Fitbit ZIP

Best Answer

Try to reset your Fitbit Charge 3 - I've had the same thing 

1. Go to the connected Bluetooth devices from the Settings in the Phone - Forget the Charge 3 and try to reconect. -> I've tried this with - stop bluetoot > reboot phone > start bluetooth > connect to app.

If step 1. doesn't work try the following 

2. Go to Settings in the Fitbit charge 3 - this happens when you swipe right and go to Settings in Charge 3, then About then Reboot device - 

Settings > About ( at the bottom ) > Reboot device  - and then try to reconect it to the Phone.

Both approaches worked for me.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Yup the Zip seems out of luck with Android Pie
I thought I had gotten it to sync after doing a bunch of cache cleaning and reinstalling but it was just a fakeout - it was syncing with my computer the whole time.

If you have a Windows 10 PC, use the Fitbit app there until they fix this, it works fine.

Get Outlook for Android
Best Answer
0 Votes

I've given up. The solutions found here:

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Android-App/Android-9-0-Pie-not-able-to-sync/m-p/3257224#M97566
https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Android-App/Android-9-0-Pie-not-able-to-sync/m-p/3259704#M97626

Are at best temporary measures. The problem seems to come back. Sometimes it works for a couple of days, then suddenly you realised your Fitbit has not synced for 3-4 days. Very frustrating. The biggest issue is when you go out to perform an activity and you can't get your device to sync to your phone. You're usually standing there holding everybody up while you stuff around with these terrible solutions. I think Fitbit is dead on Android Pie... It is has been what 6 months...and the only solutions to come out of this have been from users. No official fix from Fitbit.

Best Answer

@EmbodiedStew47

Thanks for tip but I have a zip

Best Answer
0 Votes

@fawlty

Thank you.
Yes, I have a W10 and will give it a try

Best Answer
0 Votes

And that's why I think Google is more to blame here. Since all my Bluetooth LE devices aren't working on Android Pie for me. More than just my Fitbit. Some don't even need apps and aren't working.

Please go back a page and click on the link I provided to the Android Issue Tracker and star the issue and comment. Hopefully this gets Google working on a fix.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I've worked around this issue by removing the battery from my Zip, waiting a brief moment (<5s), and re-inserting the battery before trying to sync again. The first sync with the Zip from the Android 9 device works fine, and I don't lose any steps, probably because I don't keep the battery out for too long. Subsequent syncs fail, however.

Another person on the Google issue tracker mentioned the same workaround:

https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/123997469#comment8

Best Answer
0 Votes

My Tile which uses Bluetooth LE works fine in Android Pie, so I don't think it's on Google. At least not entirely.

Best Answer
0 Votes

The fix I posted last week worked for about a week but then it randomly stops syncing (it's happened three times now, about 24-48 hours apart). So far, I've simply restarted my Nokia 8 (Android Pie) and it's started to sync again though I'm worried it's just a matter of time before it stops completely again.

Best Answer

Every few days my Nokia 6.1 stops finding my Fitbit and I need to restart the phone.  I also occasionally lose my wifi and cell tower connectivity and that is also solved by restarting the phone. It is not all Fitbit's problem.  I think part of the problem is with the phone manufacturers and how they handle power savings by putting applications to sleep and then failing to waken them properly..

Best Answer
0 Votes

If someone rings them they will fix this ? Can you let me know when it's fixed please how long has this been down for!?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello everyone.

Thanks for sharing your feedback and experience with all of the steps that have been shared.

We will be sure to pay attention to all of the processes that have been tried.

We're sorry for any trouble. We appreciate your patience and look forward to getting you back on track.

Please let us know if there's anything we can do to assist you in the meantime.

Lanuza | Community Moderator

Remember to vote for posts that helped you out! Tired of the same workout music? Try a Podcast! 🙂

Best Answer

> Please let us know if there's anything we can do to assist you in the meantime.

Yes. Please update all of your documentation to note that Fitbit does not work with Android Pie. It's very, very frustrating to get "we noticed you have problems syncing" messages which link to help telling us to jump through hoops you know won't work. Or see for example this tweet and the "support" reply, which is entirely useless. WORSE than useless.

And if someone talks to chat support, they still get told all of this nonsense. The first thing they say should be should be "oh, do you have an up-to-date Android phone? sorry then, fitbit doesn't work with that". But they don't — they say "your phone is supported, so ... uninstall the app, clear your settings, change your data preferences, buy a new fitbit, here we'll send you a replacement" and a whole load of other nonsense.

This has been a known problem for more than six months. There's no excuse for continuing to pretend. Users shouldn't have to stumble upon this thread to get the truth. (Again, that truth being "It's broken and there is no reasonable workaround.")

tter.com/mattdm/status/109know3139196137619456https://twitter.com/mattdm/status/109313919613

Best Answer

I updated my Samsung last night and am having the same issues and have taken the same steps. Help!! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

The secret is: there are no steps. It just doesn't work and has not since Android 9 was released.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm surprised you are having all these problems. My family is a Google family and our setup is like this:

- Myself: Pixel 3XL + Ionic

- My wife: Pixel 3 + Versa

- My son: Pixel 2 + Charge 3

- My daughter:  Pixel + Alta HR

All the Pixels are of course update to Android 9 and all of them work great. 

Are you using maybe older Fitbit tracker?

Best Answer
0 Votes
I have only had my phone 3 days and they have swopped it for iPhone as android and Samsung hasn’t been working on fit bit for over half a year also it has a massive virus in the system sending inappropriate messages

Get Outlook for iOS
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello everyone.

@Giampi71 Thanks for sharing your and your family's experience. Glad to read that everything seems to be working properly. 

If you have not already done so, please try to follow the steps listed in this help article. There is a possibility that they could help in getting it all to sync correctly.

Feel free to reach out with any further questions.

Lanuza | Community Moderator

Remember to vote for posts that helped you out! Tired of the same workout music? Try a Podcast! 🙂

Best Answer

After resetting my network settings on my Pixel 3 running the February 2019 patch of Pie, my Ionic managed to sync for almost a week without incident.  But this morning we were right back to "Bluetooth Issues" and I had to cycle airplane mode to get sync to work again.  (Restarting Bluetooth has never achieved anything; it has to be a full airplane mode cycle.)

Whatever the problem is, it's still present, even if possibly it isn't as bad as it was before.

Best Answer
0 Votes