Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android Oreo GPS Issue

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

On Android Oreo, 8.0.0, I have an issue using GPS tracking for walks and runs with my Charge 2. Syncing seems to work and I can see the connection icon on my fitbit when I start the app. However, when I lock the device, the charge shows the phone not available icon and only recconnects to GPS when I unlock and open the app

Best Answer
175 REPLIES 175

I've tried the latest version, 2.57.1, twice, and the GPS bug is not fixed. GPS points are recorded, but the track is very inaccurate, like this example where the start/stop, turns, and distance are all quite wrong.

bug.png

Best Answer

Yep, I can confirm 2.57.1 still has the bug. I walked for 3 minutes with my phone in my hand with the display off, and when I ended the walk workout, it only had 3 GPS points: start, stop, and one spot in between. I then went for a 20 minute run with my phone display on and the app open and it tracked my location perfectly.

Best Answer

Like Rizzek, my 5x worked with my Blaze beautifully until the Oreo update. The GPS is the tip of the iceberg, adding food, syncing takes a while or not at all, and I have stopped the app or rebooted the device all together, let's not forget uninstalling and reinstalling the app.

Before I checked this forum I sent an email to Fitbit. It is good to know it is not just me and I encourage you all to drop a line to Fitbit.

Best Answer

I've had the same issue. Using Google Pixel and since the Oreo update, connected GPS cuts out after a minute or so of my runs. I've searched the forums for an answer, tried absolutely everything suggested but nothings worked. Hoping this is fixed soon!!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm not totally sure about this, but I think there's an additional comical effect of this bug: since fitbit calibrates your stride length by GPS, and with this bug the GPS distance is always too short ... the result is that if you go running at a 8:00 minute mile pace, fitbit will measure and log it as 8:45 or whatever since it thinks the distance is a lot less than what you ran. That seems like what's happening to me, but maybe someone else can chime in. It would be a lot more fun if the bug caused it to record you as running faster than you did, but sadly no!

If fitbit can't fix this bug soon, they could at least provide a turn-off-gps option (I could not find it in the app but I'd love to hear if there is one). The map/track feature is just a nice-to-have, but having the speed and distance logged wrong really defeats the main point of this gadget.

Best Answer

"If fitbit can't fix this bug soon, they could at least provide a turn-off-gps option (I could not find it in the app but I'd love to hear if there is one)."

If you just start running, and don't tell your Fitbit that you're starting a run, it won't track GPS, will it? Like the "auto-detect workout X after 10 minutes" doesn't retroactively use GPS data, does it? I think as long as you run for >10 minutes (which I think is the minimum for auto-detect), the app will correctly log your workout duration, step count, heart rate, etc, and flag it as a "run" exercise event, but not try to link GPS data to it. 

Alternatively, get used to running with your phone display on and the app open, GPS still works then 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

@MattRK wrote:

"If fitbit can't fix this bug soon, they could at least provide a turn-off-gps option (I could not find it in the app but I'd love to hear if there is one)."

If you just start running, and don't tell your Fitbit that you're starting a run, it won't track GPS, will it? Like the "auto-detect workout X after 10 minutes" doesn't retroactively use GPS data, does it? I think as long as you run for >10 minutes (which I think is the minimum for auto-detect), the app will correctly log your workout duration, step count, heart rate, etc, and flag it as a "run" exercise event, but not try to link GPS data to it. 

Alternatively, get used to running with your phone display on and the app open, GPS still works then 🙂

Wow, I love the just-don't-press-start idea . so easy! I'll try it next time. Actually first I guess I need to do one run with the phone on, so it'll un-do the damage to stride length estimation. And I'd still like to a turn-off-GPS option in the app as a fallback.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I received an app update last night. I am now cautiously optimistic because it seemed to work fine this morning. I am keeping my fingers crossed!

Best Answer
0 Votes

My Fitbit app on Pixel XL on Android Oreo is at 2.57.3 as of today, and the GPS tracking is no better, if not worse that 2.57.1. Fitbit Android app developers knew for some time in advance of the Oreo changes, including what code changes would be needed. To moderator, when will this be fixed? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I've got v2.58 installed on my Pixel with a Charge 2 HR. I cycled 29 miles earlier and it recorded the route correctly on a map, gave me heart rate stats etc, but the distance is recorded as only 0.48 miles with an average of 0.1 mph.

Best Answer

Appears v2.58 does not address the GPS issue either. Appears Android Oreo users don't have enough input for Fitbit to address the issue in timely manner.

Best Answer

Mine does The exact same thing. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@GST49 wrote:

Appears v2.58 does not address the GPS issue either. Appears Android Oreo users don't have enough input for Fitbit to address the issue in timely manner.

I think that Fitbit support doesn't seem to be customer focused. When I had my Windows 10 Phone (Lumia 950) we had a really good moderator who was also the program manager for the Windows 10 Phone app. He was customer focused and really supported us well. Since I have had an Android phone the quality of the app has been worse as well as the support.

Regards

Infinidim

Best Answer

Yeah, my Fitbit put egg on my face that though it worked for one workout, it has not worked right since. I too get it to connect, but as soon as get moving it cuts out.

The only response I got back from Fitbit is that they are getting a lot of complaints and are working on it.

Time will tell.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I cycled yesterday and Fitbit recorded the distance correctly, so for me
the issue is fixed.
Best Answer
0 Votes
Thanks. What version are you on for Fitbit app, and what Fitbit device?
Best Answer
0 Votes
Version 2.58 on standard Pixel 128gb
Best Answer
0 Votes
I can only get version 2.57.3 with auto update on my Pixel XL, so things
are still unresolved.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm in the UK (not sure if that's applicable or not) however my app is up-to-date according to the Google play store. I'm on version 2.57.3 on Google Pixel. I still have GPS issues.

Best Answer
0 Votes
That is odd, just checked Play store and it says 2.58 on 20th September.
Don't think there's a beta channel, so not sure why I have this version and
you don't.
Best Answer