Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

App crashes when accessing app gallery/clock faces - RESOLVED w/2.75

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Fitbit Update: 7/26

Hi, everyone!

I have a great update for you all. Today we released the Fitbit for Android app, version 2.75. This app version resolves the app gallery/clock faces crash. Please update the app! Once you've updated, please let me know if you're still experiencing an app crash. 

Thanks so much for patiently waiting while we worked on and released the fix. We're always striving to improve the Fitbit app experience and your feedback is always appreciated. 

Hi, everyone!

Thanks for reporting this app crash with Android that started with 2.72 and is now still happening on 2.73. I'd like to inform you all that this has been escalated to our team for investigation. 

To help us investigate, if you could please provide the following it would help us out:

• Phone you're using (Samsung Galaxy S8) 
  • The Android OS your phone is running (Ex. 4.4.4)
  • App version you are on (current version is 2.73)

Thanks so much for your help and patience! Smiley Happy

Want to get more steps? Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
0 Votes
80 REPLIES 80

@RobertoME

Thanks for following up.  Your suggestion to:

update your Fitbit app through the google  Play store and if your OS is not compatible you will be allowed to installed the latest compatible update based on your phone OS

is correct if the application is properly tagged.  That was exactly what I did but was allowed to install the update.  That's part of my "complaint".  If the new version isn't compatible with my OS version I should not have been allowed to update.  Apparently it either isn't tagged correctly or the problem really is a bug and isn't related to the OS version.

My next "complaint" is that FitBit left me with no way to recover.  Please address this.  What is the justification to NOT provide a means to rollback to a prior, working version?  From other comments, I understand this is a policy that's been in place for a long time.  Why? Why was I forced to go to a THIRD party site to download the prior version?  That scares the pants off me since FitBit requires virtually every permission.  I did it because I wanted a working version.  I don't understand the policy.  Please justify it.

I'm probably biased but I see only benefits and no drawbacks to supplying a prior version.  I certainly did not expect to be disabled with NO WAY TO RECOVER.  Even the much maligned windows OS can recover from a failed update.

The scenario that I envision is a support call is placed, the problem is determined to be related to the latest update.  The customer service rep asks the user to give them a day or two to resolve it.  If it's not resolved in that time, the customer service rep directs the user to a FItBit supported site that has the prior versions to download along with instructions and, most likely, an active and enthusiastic community to ask questions of and to help them out should they need it.

This has all kinds of benefits.  The developers are given at least a little extra time to track down and fix the problem and NOT create additional bugs because they were forced to rush it.  The customer is happy that they now have a working version.  And comfortable with trying the next update since they know they can rollback.

You asked if we were able to install version 2.73?  With no official way to rollback, I should try to disable my app again?  You see the problem? 

Based on the current policy, my advice to another user would be to wait on ALL updates until someone with the same phone and OS has taken the chance and updated successfully.  What other advice could I give?  Try the update and if it doesn't work, oh well, sorry about that? Is that your advice?

Sorry, the more I write, the more annoyed I get. I'll stop now. 😞

Rich

Best Answer

Hi there @skiddy56 and welcome aboard to the Fitbit Community @kbaynes.

@kbaynes I found your post in the Android board and you are experiencing the same behavior reported here in this thread. Rest assured this issue is already under investigation to find a fix in the future.

@skiddy56 I understand your disagreement with this situation. As you have seen here, this is an issue which is not related to the OS version your phone is running. As I mentioned before, this is an actual issue under investigation and your phone is compatible, as you were able to installed the new version.

For App updates and to downgrade to a previous version, this is not an option. I know of just a few app developers that allow to downgrade the apps. The reason of this is because these updates helps for stability improvements, bug fixes and security patches. At the moment there is not a method to identify if your phone will have issues with these updates. As we talked before, the app updates are available only if your phone support this new versions. The Google Play store has in place an algorithm that is able to identify if the app is not optimized for your phone or other mobile device, but thats in general usage.

For the same reason I strongly do not recommend to install previous versions of the Fitbit app from third party sites. This are not official versions and we cannot guarantee the security of your information. On top of this we ussualy released this type of fixes with new version and is from great help to use the contant feedback from our users.

Whit this I'm not trying to debate your point of view. On the contrary, I really appreciate your approach to this situation giving me your feedback in a constructive way. I think your suggestions are great and beneficial as you mentioned before. I can understand the frustration, but normally these issues take more to time due to its complexity.

I'll be giving you more updates as soon I got more details. 

Roberto | Community Moderator

"Great things are done by a series of small things brought together.” What's Cooking?

Best Answer

Galaxy Mega 4.4.2

Just yesterday loaded my new fitbit iconic.

Crash on app, clocks, wallet.

I have force stopped, unistalled, rebooted. 

I just keep sending reports

L

Best Answer
0 Votes

Having same problem all of a sudden.

Running 2.73 on samsung note 3 very 5.0 os.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Same happens to me with clock and faces. "Oops... No Internet connection". Fitbit app ver. 2.73, Android 8.0, HTC u11. It's "funny", 'cause when you don't click retry but use button on your phone to go back, then for a moment you can see clock faces. Funnier is that when you are holding finger on screen you can actually scroll through clock faces and pick something. But when you took back finger from the screen it return to previous screen.

Best Answer

I'm having the same problem with my Galaxy Note 8 running 8.0 Os. I think Fitbit needs to put out a patch to fix problems 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I just got the Versa today. Weather isn't syncing and the app crashes every time I try going to a setting screen. I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 8.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi there,

I also experience the same issue and just got my Versa 2 days ago.

- Phone: LG G2

- Android 4.4.2 (cannot upgrade)

- Current Fitbit app version 2.73

Hope that helps Cat Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes

Using Vivo 1606 with latest IOS. Fitbit App crashed yesterday.  I deleted the App and re installed a fresh App. It worked and sync-ing was successful. Today the fitbit app crashed, again.  

I re installed the fitbit app for the second time in two days.  I still can't open the App. It just crashes the minute i click the fitbit icon. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi there my Android friends, welcome aboard to those newcomers to the Fitbit Community. I really appreciate all your patience  and for keep reporting this issue.

Our team is working hard to release a fix in the future since at the moment I do not have any timeframe to offer you. So rest assured @Johnbryson this is not going unnoticed.

I understand this behavior from the Fitbit app might be heavily frustrating.

I'll continue to be on the look for more updates, so stay tuned to our Community. If there are new details, I or any of my teammates will be posting here.

"Great things are done by a series of small things brought together.” What's Cooking?

Best Answer
0 Votes

My ionic is only displaying the time,its not showing my steps or heart rate. I have a Samsung 8. It did do an update a few weeks ago if that means anything. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm having the same issues and I've updated to the newest system spoke to f8tbit yesterday and was told that it's because my phone isn't comparable with the new fitbit software annoyed doesn't cone close she basically told me I need to get a new phone there's nothing they will or can do!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks so much!  I was replacing my blaze for the ionic.  I couldn't even get it to do the update.  I used a friends phone to get the update to work.  Then I had the other issues.  I was told by Fitbit that it was not my phone and to send it back.  We will see if another new Ionic will work when I receive it.  I think it's not compatible with my phone.  Expecting the worst but hoping for the best.  For now, back to my blaze.  I just really need waterproof.  Thanks again!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @AlessFitbit

I have a relatively new Versa (purchased a month ago).  It worked great until maybe a week ago when the app would just randomly crash.  I don't even need to be in the app to have it pop up an error message on my phone screen saying it's crashed.  My issue seems consistent with what I'm reading in this thread.  

Here is the information for my phone:  

Phone Model:  Moto Z Play Droid   (Model: XT1635-01)

Version: 7.1.1

FitBit App Version:  2.73

Hopefully, this can be resolved soon.  It's hampering my ability to sync (hasn't since 6/28 at 8:54am).  And, because it crashes upon opening the app, there is nothing that I can actually do with it. 

Thanks in advance. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Having this problem also and I'm getting an error message that my Fitbit isn't connected. Using Samsung Note 8, Versa and current version of app. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Fitbit seriously needs to step up there game with there software 

Moderator Edit: Removed Personal Signature

Best Answer
0 Votes

I ended up just uninstalling the app today - hopefully, just until there is a fix to this issue.  I can't handle the fitbit errors constantly popping up on my phone anymore.  AND, the rub is that it wouldn't even force quit.  So, uninstall is my only option.  Hoping for a fix soon as I really like my fitbit and the functionality of the app (when it works).     

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am having the same problems. My phone is an HTC OPFJ50, with android version 4.4.4 and is using the app version 2.73. I am using a fitbit versa.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi there everyone! thank you for keep sharing your phone details and your feedback. This has been of great help and your patience means a lot for us. I still haven't received confirmation of a fix for this issue, but I wanted to share with you, there is a new version of the Fitbit app for Android.

A new version of the Fitbit app has started to rolling out, which contain stability improvements, security patches and bug fixes that might provide some help to improve the functionality of the app. This version is being gradually released, scheduled to be available for all our Android users.

If you are not able to see this update now, try to review your Google Play store at a later time. For more details you can review this post.

Thank you again and see you soon!

Best Answer

Same problem here. App crashes when trying to Sync with Versa, multiple times/day. Also, notifications are not consistently delivered.

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S6

Fitbit App: 2.73

Fitbit Versa Firmware: 32.32.10.5

Customer Satisfaction (1-10): 5 (and falling)

Best Answer
0 Votes