Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fitbit won't setup- the timer just keeps starting

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.
I just got my Fitbit and I'm trying to set it up. Everytime I try to hold down the button for 3 seconds to connect it to my phone, the timer starts and it won't connect. Help!
Best Answer
68 REPLIES 68

Welcome to the Fitbit Community @AshCat. It's great to have you here. I'm sorry to hear that your Fitbit Charge HR doesn't want to connect with your phone. If possible, I would recommend trying to set it up using a computer, then it should be easier sync with your phone.

You can find some useful troubleshooting steps to resolve set up issues with Android devices here. Let me know how it goes.

I moved this thread to the Android app board because it's more related to the topic. Hope to see you around more often. Cat Happy

Have you received the answer you were looking for? Choose the post as the best answer!

Hai ricevuto la risposta che stavi cercando? Accetta il post come soluzione!

¿Has recibido la respuesta que estabas buscando? ¡Acepta el post como solución!

Best Answer
0 Votes
I was having the same problem. Got my fitbit to reboot, but then when I went to add it to my app it said to hold the button down for three seconds. Each time I did this though, the timer would start. After searching through these and not finding a fix, I discovered my own. If you are having this problem as well, instead of holding the button for 3 seconds, hold it literally for ONE second. While the app was searching for my device, I hit the button 2x for only one second each and it worked and I got my 4 digit code. Hope that helps someone else!
Best Answer

The reason to hold the button down is to turn tge unit on, since it is already on there is no need to do this steps.

If needed hold the button to turn the event tracker off, go through the setup procedure again tgis time without pressing the button

Best Answer

Charge HR cannot sync.  Holding button down for 3 seconds starts stopwatch.  Impossible to pair.

Ive tried to pair about  40 times now, trying different combinations of holding "the button" down for 3 seconds, 1 second combinations, even 60 seconds.  Ive reset the device through the charger about 20 times.  Ive tried pairing through the PC and android.

Best Answer

The setup instructions tells you to hold the button down for 3 seconds to turn it on. 

Since your Fitbit is already on, you will want to skip this step. 

Technically you do not pair the Charge HR to your phone, you use the app to connect the Charge HR to your Fitbit account.. Once the tracker is connected to your account then the app will pair up the Bluetooth. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

checking

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Rich_Laue wrote:

The setup instructions tells you to hold the button down for 3 seconds to turn it on. 

Technically you do not pair the Charge HR to your phone, you use the app to connect the Charge HR to your Fitbit account.. Once the tracker is connected to your account then the app will pair up the Bluetooth. 

@Rich_Laue wrote:

Hey, thanks very much!  It worked on the first try this morning. 

I was trying to get the fitbit to show the fitbit symbol, which I thought was the pairing mode.  Bluetooth doesnt work too well when the devices are right next to eachother.

Hold the fitbit about 4 feet away from the phone and it will sync up without issue.

Cheers and happy treking!

Best Answer

I was having the same problem- very annoying.  I called the fitbit people (very nice and answered right away) and they walked me through it.  They had me update the app in google play or whatever you have, restart the phone, go to the fitbit app, pick your device, hold it down for 3 seconds (even if the **ahem** counter came on) when prompted to, it gave me a number and then I paired it.  Make sure your bluetooth is on. My charge HR was on and operating before I was trying to sinc to the phone. 

Best Answer

Hey @Sheric73! Welcome to the Forums.

Thank you very much for sharing your experience and for letting us know the process you followed to get your Fitbit to work once again.

If you have the time, I'd recommend that you visit one of our Discussion boards. There you can talk about a lot of different topics with other Community members.

Hope to see you around.

Lanuza | Community Moderator

Remember to vote for posts that helped you out! Tired of the same workout music? Try a Podcast! 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

THANK YOU !!! this is what happened 

Best Answer
0 Votes

A very warm welcome to the Community @verge

Glad to read that you found the solution to your issue in here. You can continue using your Fitbit to reach all of your goals now.

Let me know if you have any questions! 

Remember to vote for posts that helped you out! Tired of the same workout music? Try a Podcast! 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have read every entry and researched elsewhere as well, nothing helps. My fitbit Charge HR has been working fine for months, but it stopped Monday afternoon. I follow the instructions but I get the timer to start, not the three seconds. I am told to take the app off and reinstall, to update, to remove the fitbit and reattach, none of it works. There is an entry that says it has to be entered from a PC, but this is a crock, there is no where to enter it. Oh, there is plenty of places to buy something, but absolutely no help at all on fixing the problem. Frustrated? Yes I am. I have bought my wife and daughter a fitbit so we could keep track of each other an motivate each other, but where am I now? If anyone has any other ideas I am all ears.

Best Answer

@jajadad, have you contacted Fitbit Support so that they can help you resolve this issue?

Best Answer

Same exact issue here

Best Answer
0 Votes

The instructions tell you to hold the button in for three seconds because this is a way of turning the unit on.

Since the unit is already on, you can forget this step. Just tap the button to turn the display on.

Now continue with the setup.

Best Answer

how to I connect it to my account without syncing by holding down the button??

Best Answer
0 Votes

Welcome to the Forums @jacobgeittmann!

In order to properly connect your Fitbit to your account you need to do the Set up process which would cause your Fitbit to sync to your account. Could you be more specific about what is it that you mean by 'connect it to my account without syncing'?

Look forward to your reply.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@jacobgeittmann it would also be helpful to know what device that needs to be setup.

You need to first connect the tracker to your account, then it will be able to sync.im

Best Answer

I am having the same issues. My husbands stopped syncing. So I deleted it from his account and reset it. 

Now I cannot get it to sync back. Everytime it tells me to hold the button down for 3 seconds it just resets. 

Help!

Best Answer
0 Votes