Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mobile data usage increased - RESOLVED 7/13

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Update 7/13/2018: This issue is now resolved, please ensure you are on the latest app. Thanks very much for your reports. I'll be closing this thread for future replies. 

Fitbit Update 07/11/2018: Thanks for your ongoing patience as we worked to resolve this issue. We released an update to the Fitbit app for Android, version 2.74.2, that we believe addresses any remaining concerns related to this issue. Please update the Fitbit app as soon as possible.

In addition, all of your Fitbit data synced and remained secure during the issue and none of your data was sent anywhere else. We take our obligation to safeguard your data very seriously and are sorry for any concern that this error may have caused.

Fitbit Update 07/09/2018:

Great news, everyone! Today we released the Fitbit for Android app version 2.74.1 to all users. This app version released improvements for the issue you are all currently experiencing with an increase in your phone's data usage. Please update the app as soon as possible!

Please let me know how it goes after updating the app. I would like to hear you all confirm that your data/battery usage levels have decreased. 

Thanks for all your help and cooperation! 

Fitbit Update 07/08/2018:

Hi, everyone!

Thanks so much for your reports of this data/battery issue on your Android devices. 

Our team is still actively investigating the cause and we will keep you updated with any new information. We really appreciate your cooperation in the meantime and hope to get this resolved soon. 

Fitbit Update 07/06/2018: 

Hey everyone -- First off, thank you for all of your reports. We are working to resolve an issue which can cause the Fitbit app for Android to consume a large amount of mobile data. In the meantime, uninstalling and re-installing the Fitbit app may help resolve related loading & crashing issues. Thanks for your patience!

I will make sure to keep everyone updated on this issue when I have something new to share. Thanks for your patience, more updates to come soon.

Fitbit Update 07/05/2018: Community members have reported an increase of mobile data by the Fitbit app on Android devices.

I've made our Android team aware of this and they are currently working on getting this issue resolved. When I hear an update on the status of this issue, I will make sure to let everyone here know what I hear.

Thanks for your reports and continued patience.

Have you received the answer you were looking for? Choose the post as the best answer!

Hai ricevuto la risposta che stavi cercando? Accetta il post come soluzione!

¿Has recibido la respuesta que estabas buscando? ¡Acepta el post como solución!

Best Answer
638 REPLIES 638

My App will not even open. It crashes before going to the dashboard. It was also draining my battery all last week. 

Best Answer
bummer.
Best Answer

Running out of patience...your app is draining so bad my phone that i got lost on some city city abroad after running out of battery. I rely on my phone for many things, like navigation. I really regret now buying a Fitbit to be honest. Soo buggy!

Best Answer

Are we going to be reimbursed for the cost of excessive data used, not everyone is on an unlimited contract, luckily after 3 days i noticed  600mb on mobile data and 400 wifi data.

I did remove all data from the app, uninstall it, Rebooted the phone, waited a few days and reinstalled with the hope of a possible interim fix being done, obviously not from reading this post, but can confirm so far 1 day and no issues, no phone drain and using next to no data.

Best Answer
I've downloaded beta...and so far it's been ok. Battery still drains a
little quickly but not as bad as before. I might resort to turning off my
bluetooth so I dont sync all the time
Best Answer
I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app. No use.

I downgraded to 2.70 this morning (since someone proposed it may be the
more recent versions that is causing this.) And in about 5 hours I've
already used 25mb of data.

All this is happening with background data switched off too.

I am quite dumbfounded and ive thought of uninstalling the app totally, if
not for the fact that I'd be stuck with a useless expensive watch.
Best Answer

Do try, as posted that's what i did, have a S8+ if that matters, but so far so good, remove all data  from the app then uninstall. reboot, reinstall

Best Answer
0 Votes
That is terrible! I have uninstalled the app and have gave it a poor rating
on Google Play to warn people away. I will change the rating when it is
fixed.
Best Answer

Where did you find the beta? I only see one version on Google Play.

@Ailourus wrote:
I've downloaded beta...and so far it's been ok. Battery still drains a
little quickly but not as bad as before. I might resort to turning off my
bluetooth so I dont sync all the time

Best Answer
0 Votes

Uninstalling the app is the only solution for me at the moment.

I can't understand why FitBit is not simply downgrading the Android app at this point. It worked before ...

Best Answer

8 days into July my Fitbit app has used 1.5gb of data! Compare that to 211mb for the whole of last month. 

Due to the new GDPR laws in European countries we have a right to know:-

a) What is being sent in the gigabytes of data? Because it's certainly not how many steps you've taken!

And

b) Where is it going?

If this is private and personal data getting sent from our phones without our consent, we need to know

Please respond.

Best Answer

You need to register to be a beta tester apparently. Theres a reply from @Marc_PL to my post about it.

Instructions are on @ErickFitbit site.

I'm sorry I dont know how to link the post. I'm such a newbie at all this crossposting etc. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

It is now 8 July and still no fix.  How long is this issue going to take before it is fixed.  This is really poor.  You are actually making people pay for your problem.  How about making Versa compatible with non mobile devices, like an iMac.  When I purchased the Versa I was not told that I could not use it on Apple iMac's.  So disappointing.

Best Answer
Thanks Ailourus!
Much appreciated.
Best Answer
0 Votes
No prob. 🙂
Best Answer
0 Votes

Since I installed the app around a month ago my battery life has suffered significantly. I found it only lasted for five hours or so before needing a recharge.

This being said - I switched off all the regular communications between the two devices and now only manually update the two devices, via Bluetooth, a few times a day. This reduced the battery drain to a manageable level (If I'm careful I just about get a day out of it now).

Will keep an eye out for the update - I look forward to my phone getting back it's two day battery life. Thanks Smiley Happy

Best Answer

I have been using fitbit versa since last one month on my samsung s8, last few days i am suffering high battery usage by fitbit app and it also shows high cpu usage by fitbit app. I was not facing this earlier.

This is not acceptable, i love my watch but its killing my phone..Jpg

Best Answer

Yes it worked fine before!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have the Blaze and an Galaxy Note 8 and I have noticed that I am only getting about a day or a day and half out of my battery.  And I don't get a lot of texts or phone calls.  There are days that I do and days that I don't.  I also have issues with my Fitbit not showing me my texts or my phone calls and my phone is in my hand or my desk with me sitting at my desk or my phone in my back pocket for example or in my purse.  This is very frustrating or it will acknowledge the phone call several seconds to minutes after the call has come through.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

I uninstalled then reinstalled the app. It didn't change anything. I am trying to do all the suggested ways. Thanks for yours.

I am watching for the update too, though very frustrating that in middle of workouts I look and the battery has died so data wasn't being tracked. I need this for health reasons to monitor heart rate, etc. I am angry. 

Best Answer
0 Votes