Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mobile data usage increased - RESOLVED 7/13

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Update 7/13/2018: This issue is now resolved, please ensure you are on the latest app. Thanks very much for your reports. I'll be closing this thread for future replies. 

Fitbit Update 07/11/2018: Thanks for your ongoing patience as we worked to resolve this issue. We released an update to the Fitbit app for Android, version 2.74.2, that we believe addresses any remaining concerns related to this issue. Please update the Fitbit app as soon as possible.

In addition, all of your Fitbit data synced and remained secure during the issue and none of your data was sent anywhere else. We take our obligation to safeguard your data very seriously and are sorry for any concern that this error may have caused.

Fitbit Update 07/09/2018:

Great news, everyone! Today we released the Fitbit for Android app version 2.74.1 to all users. This app version released improvements for the issue you are all currently experiencing with an increase in your phone's data usage. Please update the app as soon as possible!

Please let me know how it goes after updating the app. I would like to hear you all confirm that your data/battery usage levels have decreased. 

Thanks for all your help and cooperation! 

Fitbit Update 07/08/2018:

Hi, everyone!

Thanks so much for your reports of this data/battery issue on your Android devices. 

Our team is still actively investigating the cause and we will keep you updated with any new information. We really appreciate your cooperation in the meantime and hope to get this resolved soon. 

Fitbit Update 07/06/2018: 

Hey everyone -- First off, thank you for all of your reports. We are working to resolve an issue which can cause the Fitbit app for Android to consume a large amount of mobile data. In the meantime, uninstalling and re-installing the Fitbit app may help resolve related loading & crashing issues. Thanks for your patience!

I will make sure to keep everyone updated on this issue when I have something new to share. Thanks for your patience, more updates to come soon.

Fitbit Update 07/05/2018: Community members have reported an increase of mobile data by the Fitbit app on Android devices.

I've made our Android team aware of this and they are currently working on getting this issue resolved. When I hear an update on the status of this issue, I will make sure to let everyone here know what I hear.

Thanks for your reports and continued patience.

Have you received the answer you were looking for? Choose the post as the best answer!

Hai ricevuto la risposta che stavi cercando? Accetta il post come soluzione!

¿Has recibido la respuesta que estabas buscando? ¡Acepta el post como solución!

Best Answer
638 REPLIES 638

I got my Fitbit Versa 6/30/18.  I have the Samsung Galaxy S8 and when I connected my Versa to it, I was having to charge my phone up to 4 times a day.  The battery was draining rapidly and my phone was very hot.  I tried all the 'tricks' I read online and nothing worked.  Finally, yesterday I uninstalled the Fitbit app from phone and that solved the problem completely.  However, this of course makes all the features that I purchased the Vera for unusable.  No notifications, etc.

If the problem is not corrected within the next couple of days, I will be returning the Versa for a refund.  I had a Samsung Gear Pro 2 for a year and never had one issue with it draining my phone, using too much cellular data, etc.  I bought the Versa for the look and functionality - and right now I am not getting what I paid for.  It is sad to me that a company as large as Fitbit, that was one of the pioneers of the 'fitness band/watch' cannot get this large problem corrected quickly.

Best Answer

Where do we return the Versa...to the place purchased or to FitBit? I bought mine at Kohls and am not sure I can return it there now!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I just bought the ionic and I have updated 4 times now and still cant do a thing with it.  Is this why?

Best Answer
0 Votes
Hello,

I got mine at Best Buy and am still in the 14 day return window. I sure
hope that Kohl's works with you in returning it.

Best of luck.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I have installed 2.72 from the mirror and disabled updates until Fitbit announces they have fixed it. So far, battery performance is normal, back to what it was before the update and data consumed is 595KB in the last 2 days (from almost 1GB in the last week). All-day sync is off (I always keep it off) and Always Connected is off as well. So far so good. I get all notifications and everything works fine.

Best Answer

I will be returning mine as well.  I have tried the fixes and nothing has changed, hot phone and drained battery.  Just got it last week and was excited to start using it.  Wow what a disappointment.

Best Answer
0 Votes
The reading I have been doing says it is only the Versa that is having the
battery drain issue specifically with the Fitbit for Android app. Perhaps
the Ionic is starting to have the same issue or perhaps you got a faulty
one?

I hope you get to the bottom of it quickly. It is so frustrating.
Best Answer
0 Votes
I agree completely! I was so excited to get mine and even waited for a
while to make sure any bugs got worked out. I am so disappointed
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Bujica, can you describe how you were able to do this? Did you need to install a separate app to install an older version of the FitBit app? Thanks.

Best Answer
0 Votes

It's Basal rate calories .. you still expend energy sleeping

Best Answer
0 Votes

I just checked my receipt and surpassed the 30 day return on the 7th...for weeks I thought the battery issue was a phone problem and didn't realize it was a FitBit thing until a few days ago. I am going back and forth with FitBit Support on Twitter - they better do something for me because that's a lot of money to lose out on!!!!

Best Answer

Same issue

Frustating

Best Answer
0 Votes

@JibbersCrabst

I uninstalled the current version completely.

Went to Fitbit APK mirror site and installed 2.72 from there:

https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/fitbit-inc/fitbit/fitbit-2-72-release/fitbit-2-72-android-apk-download...

Then I went to my google store and unchecked "automatically update" for Fitbit (so I stay on 2.72 until they come out with a new and verified version that works).

I don't think it's the watch itself (some people think it's their brand new Versas, but mine and my hubby's Ionic does the same, my son didn't update his Ionic and his is still working fine but he syncs to his tablet), I believe there is something funky on the operation of the latest Fitbit app update (the 2.73 and the beta 2.74, which apparently still has the bugs as per beta testers reports).

Hope this helps, good luck!

Best Answer

I'm on the beta, but I think that I'm going to uninstall it, and try an earlier version and see if it consumes less battery.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Fitbit, is there any update to this issue today? I'm really surprised it is taking so long to fix. I'm a long time FitBit user and I'm really getting fed up now. I think you should consider some method of compensating us for the excessive data charges we are seeing right now on account of this issue. Please respond, thanks.

Best Answer

fitbit app is not working with my android will not load and says restart my phone iv done this 4 tine with un the hr 

Best Answer

I have had the versa 10 days and noticed a huge drain on my phone battery and its getting hot. Does anyone know if this is the app or the actual versa? I was thinking of returning the versa and getting a Alta HR - would the same thing happen until fitbit rectify the app issue?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I did the same, and have the same experience as you. Battery as well as data consumption back to normal levels, negligible.

Recommend everyone to do this while waiting for a fix from Fitbit. The beta didn't do much for me battery wise.

Best Answer

@SunsetRunner wrote:

I did the same, and have the same experience as you. Battery as well as data consumption back to normal levels, negligible.

Recommend everyone to do this while waiting for a fix from Fitbit. The beta didn't do much for me battery wise.

Meant to say I downgraded to the previous version. Have "All day sync" set to on and background data enabled. No issues. I am on a OnePlus 6.

Best Answer
0 Votes

So you got a different style and it stopped wasting battery and data? I might take this back then

Best Answer
0 Votes