Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mobile data usage increased - RESOLVED 7/13

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Update 7/13/2018: This issue is now resolved, please ensure you are on the latest app. Thanks very much for your reports. I'll be closing this thread for future replies. 

Fitbit Update 07/11/2018: Thanks for your ongoing patience as we worked to resolve this issue. We released an update to the Fitbit app for Android, version 2.74.2, that we believe addresses any remaining concerns related to this issue. Please update the Fitbit app as soon as possible.

In addition, all of your Fitbit data synced and remained secure during the issue and none of your data was sent anywhere else. We take our obligation to safeguard your data very seriously and are sorry for any concern that this error may have caused.

Fitbit Update 07/09/2018:

Great news, everyone! Today we released the Fitbit for Android app version 2.74.1 to all users. This app version released improvements for the issue you are all currently experiencing with an increase in your phone's data usage. Please update the app as soon as possible!

Please let me know how it goes after updating the app. I would like to hear you all confirm that your data/battery usage levels have decreased. 

Thanks for all your help and cooperation! 

Fitbit Update 07/08/2018:

Hi, everyone!

Thanks so much for your reports of this data/battery issue on your Android devices. 

Our team is still actively investigating the cause and we will keep you updated with any new information. We really appreciate your cooperation in the meantime and hope to get this resolved soon. 

Fitbit Update 07/06/2018: 

Hey everyone -- First off, thank you for all of your reports. We are working to resolve an issue which can cause the Fitbit app for Android to consume a large amount of mobile data. In the meantime, uninstalling and re-installing the Fitbit app may help resolve related loading & crashing issues. Thanks for your patience!

I will make sure to keep everyone updated on this issue when I have something new to share. Thanks for your patience, more updates to come soon.

Fitbit Update 07/05/2018: Community members have reported an increase of mobile data by the Fitbit app on Android devices.

I've made our Android team aware of this and they are currently working on getting this issue resolved. When I hear an update on the status of this issue, I will make sure to let everyone here know what I hear.

Thanks for your reports and continued patience.

Have you received the answer you were looking for? Choose the post as the best answer!

Hai ricevuto la risposta che stavi cercando? Accetta il post come soluzione!

¿Has recibido la respuesta que estabas buscando? ¡Acepta el post como solución!

Best Answer
638 REPLIES 638

@Purplerain18 wrote:

I have had the versa 10 days and noticed a huge drain on my phone battery and its getting hot. Does anyone know if this is the app or the actual versa? I was thinking of returning the versa and getting a Alta HR - would the same thing happen until fitbit rectify the app issue?

It's the app, not the Versa device. It works perfectly on the previous version. I suggest downgrading, as per instructions in this thread, until Fitbit resolves the app issue.

Don't forget to set the Fitbit app to not update automatically in Google Play Store.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Fitbit Ionic here...

Fitbit app has used almost 800mb of data this month, versus 20mb on average and 120mb peak.

Also, consumed 15% power today with only 4 hours off charger.

Downside to chewing theouth mobile data is that this bug will piterlite cost money for some end users (about $10/gb).

Best Answer

Have now uninstalled the app ionic now sitting on the side and using my garmin .looks like 300 quid wasted unless they fix this issue.

Best Answer

Wasn't going to do it but I've lost patience with waiting for a resolution.  I've backed up to 2.72.  I had absolutely no issues with 2.72 previously so I'll stay at that version until I can see some real lasting progress toward fixing this problem.  Data and phones are just too expensive to continue to use 2.73.  The update 2.74 was never even pushed out to me and, since reports of the beta version 2.74.1 not really solving anything, I elected to go backwards rather than forwards.  I recommend following the instructions provided earlier in this thread and doing the same.  This happened a little less than a year ago with another version causing another problem.  Backing up and waiting sorted it that time and I expect this to be sorted eventually too.

Kathy | USA
Versa SE, Charge 2, Samsung Galaxy S10+
Best Answer
0 Votes

Where do you find the always connected choice?

Strange thing, along with the data going crazy on my pixel 2 xl, and the battery issues on it as well, the beta was causing weird battery issues on my Versa. I had it replaced, and just got this one a week ago yesterday. was doing fine until that latest app update.

Best Answer

My fitbit app  has used 1.57 GB from June 26-July 7. The same period last month it used 126 MB. And my battery dies after less than 12 hours in the last week or so. I would not have known any of this unless I came to this community website. I am now being charged exorbitant overage fees by my cellular provider. Was there not a way you could have notified us about this issue? This is not a small thing ...

Best Answer
0 Votes

My battery back to normal after uninstalling the app was using 4% an hr so not using fitbit untill this is sorted.

Best Answer

Fitbit battery drains in 1 day now and Fitbit app is causing CPU overload error on the Note 8.  Also my battery drain and da tr a usage is ridiculous.

Best Answer
0 Votes
It is awful how huge of problem this is and still they have no fix for it.

Ridiculous
Best Answer
My hope is that Fitbit will quickly come up with a fix and compensate those
who had usage/overage charges assessed by their Cell Providers. They are
definitely a large enough company to properly take responsibility for their
mistake.
Best Answer
0 Votes

The always connected option is in your app settings on the Fitbit app under the device.  The only thing that worked for me was uninstalling the Fitbit app from my phone which severely limits my Versa's functionality. It is so frustrating.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Bujica  Thanks for kindly posting the link to v.2.72. 

Finally had enough of the Beta, which made no difference to mobile data usage and only a limited improvement to battery use.

It will be interesting to see if running 2.72 also improves the battery life of my Ionic.  Since I bought the Ionic just over two weeks ago I have been lucky to get two full days use before the battery drops below 10%; and that includes turning it off for 4-5 hours every evening while I am less active.

Best Answer

I've got the large data usage as well but not the battery issue. I noticed that many with the battery issue have Samsung phones. Just goes to show why it is so hard to develop proper apps for Android since each phone manufacturer adds their own crap on top of basic Android. I suspect this is why it is taking so long to fix this. They don't want to fix it from one group and completely screw up another.

Best Answer

The only way I can possibly see the 2.72 version (released May 21st, bug fixed to 2.72.1 on May 23rd) helping this issue is if fitbit introduced the hooks for new server-side changes in the 2.73 version (released on June 13th). The problems for me definitely started well after June 13th (somewhere around July 2nd-July 4th) but the app itself wasn't updated in that time which seems to indicate that this is a server-side issue. The only way that 2.72 fixes this is if that version doesn't have the hooks into the new server-side changes and thusly is not able to drain battery/upload data to the server.

If this is the case, I really wish fitbit had the forethought to try an app rollback while they were figuring this problem out. I have had a Charge for years and only about two weeks ago upgraded to the Versa. I'm debating even keeping in the ecosystem after this debacle.

Out of curiosity, are any non-"smart" fitbits exhibiting this issue at all? I seem to only be hearing about Versa and Ionic devices having problems. I wonder if the smart features of the watch are what are causing these issues and vanilla trackers (Alta/Charge/etc) are unaffected.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have the flex2 and iphone and also have all the issues - phone battery drain and huge amounts of data. I've since restricted cell data and just using wi-fi but battery drain is still an issue.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am experiencing the same thing on Apple OS. I have had my Versa for around a month and for the first three weeks it was fine. I have turned day sync off, but I can’t get through a full day now without the battery draining to nothing, which means I can’t use it to track sleep. I actually got more battery life out of my Apple Watch. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@kneurotic wrote:

I have the flex2 and iphone and also have all the issues - phone battery drain and huge amounts of data. I've since restricted cell data and just using wi-fi but battery drain is still an issue.

It's interesting you mention that you're on an iPhone @kneurotic because up to this point, it has only been confirmed on Android. Do you have any graphs or data showing the high usage also on iOS?

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Pipmel wrote:

I am experiencing the same thing on Apple OS. I have had my Versa for around a month and for the first three weeks it was fine. I have turned day sync off, but I can’t get through a full day now without the battery draining to nothing, which means I can’t use it to track sleep. I actually got more battery life out of my Apple Watch. 

Wow! Two comments in a row indicating that iOS also has this issue. I wonder if we can get more evidence that this bug is also occurring on Apple phones as well.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Unfortunately, I have been uninstalling and installing the app/and turning cell data on/off so my phone doesn't have more information (or I don't know how to look for it). But I've only had a my Flex2 since June 22 and cell data was around 800mb before I uninstalled it on July 7.  The phone was also so hot that I thought it was going to explode and that never happened before I installed the fitbit app.

Best Answer
0 Votes

After uninstalling and reinstalling the current version TWICE and nearly giving up, I've reverted to the previous version from the directions @Bujica provided in their post. So far, so much better.

Feedback from beta testers was not sufficiently positive for me to go that route. 

I cannot believe Fitbit hasn't pulled this update and I wonder if Pebble programmers didn't leave a bit of a Trojan horse for the remaining developers to clean up.

My Versa was a Mother's Day present, so I'm quickly closing in on my return window. Until a few days ago, I LOVED it. I don't always take my phone everywhere I go, so I didn't get hit until recently when my battery nearly died. I thought I left my camera on in my pocket it was so hot and drained faster than I could charge it. I didn't notice the data (which will cost me extra this month) until I found this post. 

Google Pixel 2

Android 8.1.0

Fitbit version 2.72 (older version)

Best Answer