Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mobile data usage increased - RESOLVED 7/13

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Update 7/13/2018: This issue is now resolved, please ensure you are on the latest app. Thanks very much for your reports. I'll be closing this thread for future replies. 

Fitbit Update 07/11/2018: Thanks for your ongoing patience as we worked to resolve this issue. We released an update to the Fitbit app for Android, version 2.74.2, that we believe addresses any remaining concerns related to this issue. Please update the Fitbit app as soon as possible.

In addition, all of your Fitbit data synced and remained secure during the issue and none of your data was sent anywhere else. We take our obligation to safeguard your data very seriously and are sorry for any concern that this error may have caused.

Fitbit Update 07/09/2018:

Great news, everyone! Today we released the Fitbit for Android app version 2.74.1 to all users. This app version released improvements for the issue you are all currently experiencing with an increase in your phone's data usage. Please update the app as soon as possible!

Please let me know how it goes after updating the app. I would like to hear you all confirm that your data/battery usage levels have decreased. 

Thanks for all your help and cooperation! 

Fitbit Update 07/08/2018:

Hi, everyone!

Thanks so much for your reports of this data/battery issue on your Android devices. 

Our team is still actively investigating the cause and we will keep you updated with any new information. We really appreciate your cooperation in the meantime and hope to get this resolved soon. 

Fitbit Update 07/06/2018: 

Hey everyone -- First off, thank you for all of your reports. We are working to resolve an issue which can cause the Fitbit app for Android to consume a large amount of mobile data. In the meantime, uninstalling and re-installing the Fitbit app may help resolve related loading & crashing issues. Thanks for your patience!

I will make sure to keep everyone updated on this issue when I have something new to share. Thanks for your patience, more updates to come soon.

Fitbit Update 07/05/2018: Community members have reported an increase of mobile data by the Fitbit app on Android devices.

I've made our Android team aware of this and they are currently working on getting this issue resolved. When I hear an update on the status of this issue, I will make sure to let everyone here know what I hear.

Thanks for your reports and continued patience.

Have you received the answer you were looking for? Choose the post as the best answer!

Hai ricevuto la risposta che stavi cercando? Accetta il post come soluzione!

¿Has recibido la respuesta que estabas buscando? ¡Acepta el post como solución!

Best Answer
638 REPLIES 638

@SheldaTo find your App version...

• Tap on your Android Settings Gear wheel
  • Tap Apps & Notifications
  • Tap App Info
  • Swipe down to Fitbit
  • Tap that and swipe to the end
  • Version will be there..

@Shelda wrote:

Where did you find it and what is the version number? Thanks

Colin:Victoria, Australia
Ionic (OS 4.2.1, 27.72.1.15), Android App 3.45.1, Premium, Phone Sony Xperia XA2, Android 9.0
Best Answer
0 Votes

I installed 2.74.2. Everything seems back to normal. BUT it still use mobile data in background without sync, connection to my versa and background data usage on. I don't know what has happened to your app. 

Best Answer

@niiiiiiiiiik wrote:

@AlessFitbit wrote:

Hey, all!

Thanks for updating to the latest Android app version 2.74.2. For those who haven't yet updated, please do so as this version addresses any remaining issues with increased data usage and battery drain. 

I noticed some of you mentioned having issues with syncing after updating to this new version, so I recommend you try our troubleshooting suggestions that can help. If you have tried everything outlined in that article and still have trouble syncing, a factory reset may help and you can set up your watch back to your Fitbit account. 

Thanks for letting us know about the update @AlessFitbit I have installed the app now and will give you a progress report a little later on how it's tracking. 

Cheers 

Nik

@AlessFitbit @EdsonFitbit since the new update, data and battery has returned to normal. Thanks for the speed turn around on the update team!  

Best Answer
0 Votes
Some thoughts from me about the case:

1. Refund

Every smartphone owner is responsible for his data contract. Therefore, in his own interest, he is well advised to take precautions to prevent or at least indicate on time the excessive use of data. Because as soon as it costs your own money, you should not trust any app.

There are numerous apps for monitoring data usage. I use e.g. the app "My Data Manager", where among other things you can set an alarm if the average usage per day is exceeded.

Nonetheless, Fitbit is also well advised to offer any compensation to the users of the Android app - even a generous shopping coupon as an excuse and redress.

2. App sync options

Fitbit should urgently offer an option in the app, which limits the data transfer in the background as soon as the device is in the mobile network.

When I'm on the road, I do not have to transfer my data to the Fitbit server every few minutes. It's enough for me to see the data locally in the app.

I know that there is some information in the app that is calculated by the Fitbit servers. In my opinion, it does not mind that this information will only be updated when the app is opened and active. Because as long as I have not opened the app, no data must be transmitted in a timely manner, since I am the only one who cares about this data.
The case is rather rare that I'm on the mobile network and I want to simultaneously view the data on another device in the browser or app, so that there must be a synchronization via the cloud. I think it would be okay for me to start the synchronization manually in this case.
Best Answer

I'm happy that the latest update appears to have fixed the data issue so I am no longer in danger of going over my limit. However, I still have concerns about how much data is being used in the background despite the fact that I have background data restricted for most of my apps (FitBit included). Looking back at the previous months of data usage, it appears that this issue has existed for some time and the amount of data being used has slowly increased over time before it suddenly spiked in June/July.

March 10 to April 9:

1.3 MB Foreground

22.7 MB Background

95% Background Data

April 10 to May 9:
13.34 MB Foreground

173 MB Background

93% Background Data

May 10 to June 9:
222 MB Foreground

337 MB Background

60% Background Data

June 10- July 9:

46.2 MB Foreground

1326 MB Background

97% Background Data

Since the latest patch went live, I've been tracking the data usage daily and it appears to average about 5 MB a day, but there is still more background data instead of foreground data (again I have background data restricted for this app). I love my FitBit. It's by far the best smartwatch I've used, but I am confused as to why and how it's able to use data in the background when I explicitly tell my phone not to let it.

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S7 (SM-G930V)

FitBit Ionic Firmware Version: 27.32.10.20

FitBit App Version: 2.74.2 (2193293)

Best Answer

@JibbersCrabst  I have the same pattern of background data.  Fortunately I have a family with 3 phones with the same Telco and we share the data limit, so I have no penalties.. All working well now with App 2.74.2

4 months Fitbit data.jpg

Colin:Victoria, Australia
Ionic (OS 4.2.1, 27.72.1.15), Android App 3.45.1, Premium, Phone Sony Xperia XA2, Android 9.0
Best Answer
0 Votes
I suspect an android issue wrt background data restriction. I had another
app ignoring background data restrictions
Best Answer
0 Votes

I am currently running Fitbit, version 2.74.2 on my Pixel 2 today and previously I've had to uninstall and reinstall the app because it sporadically fails to sync steps properly. Sometimes today's step count includes yesterdays and won't correct, sometimes it will correct. Yesterday, before uninstalling the app for the second time this week, I dug a little deeper into the app and found that if I click on the steps from the Dashboard, I'm routed to a bar chart that, while the bar includes the previous days steps, if I touch the bar with my finger, the correct-ish  numbers are displayed. For example, yesterday the bar reached 15k steps (which was incorrect at the time), but tapping on the bar, 7.3k steps popped up in a balloon. The 7.3k was more accurate and was in line with my LG Health app which runs automatically and seems to run with more consistent accuracy. 

Another example of this type of error is one morning when I got to work the Fitbit app showed 56k steps. That's a lot of steps to be taken within an hour of getting out of bed. Clearly that's a carryover and then some. Perhaps it was somehow counting my cars tire rotation. 

Uninstalling and reinstalling is, IMHO, an unnecessary hassle, but seems to be the only method to correct current, as well as past erroneous step count. 

Any other suggestions/solutions???

Best Answer
0 Votes

This issue is now resolved, please ensure you are on the latest app. Thanks very much for your reports. I'll be closing this thread for future replies. 

Actively managing your weight? Find accountability buddies on the Manage Weight board

Best Answer

The original topic was closed because Fitbit claims the problem is solved.

Well, the app may be corrected, but they haven't addressed the issue of all the money the bug wasted for their users.

Can someone address this? A lot of data was sent from our phones to Fitbit.

What was this data? Was there any sensitive information?

Will there be any compensation?

My wife and I pay for every byte and this easily sucked up 1-2 Gig.

Would really like to see customer service clean up the mess they caused.

Moderator edit: Updated subject for clarity

Best Answer

Hi @JoeActor

Sorry this happened to you, but Fitbit can't help you with the mobile data charges.

Ask your cell phone provider why you didn't receive notice before you went over your monthly allowance. Mine sends a text when I'm close to going over and gives me the option to purchase additional data.

Stepping in the U.S.A. since September 2013. Android 14

Best Answer

Yeah... Right... Thanks.

But I'm waiting for someone from Fitbit who is knowledgeable in this matter and might have a real answer.

By the looks of it, it might be a long wait.

Best Answer

@JoeActor

Check out the response from Fitbit employee and moderator @SantiR in this post - click to read it

Best Answer

@Odyssey13 wrote:

@JoeActor

Check out the response from Fitbit employee and moderator @SantiR in this post - click to read it

That still is not answering the questions I'm asking.

1) What was in all the data that was sent from our personal phones to Fitbit? As users we have a right to know this.

2) Since it was Fitbit's app bug on Android that caused people to use a large amount of data on their cell plans, what actions will Fitbit take to compensate them?

These are the questions. Please stop changing the subject, then answering your own question. It's not advancing the real conversation.

Best Answer

@JoeActor

1.  Fitbit has a privacy article, which explains that. Please click this link to view

2.  Moderator @SantiR gave that response.

Best Answer

The mod didn't give any answer. A fitbit bug caused a very huge data drain and it's not their fault? Seriously?

Best Answer

Hi there @JoeActor @luca85, good to see you both in the Community Forums!

I'm very sorry about this situation. When it comes to privacy concerns, please, see @Odyssey13 response above. Now, when it comes to the data charges, we don't have any information about this but keep an eye on the Forums. If we have any official announcement, we'll be sure to share it with you.

Thanks a lot for your comprehension. Anything else, we're here to help!

Ferdin | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Help others by giving votes and marking helpful solutions as Accepted

Best Answer

@FerdinandFitbit wrote:

Hi there @JoeActor @luca85, good to see you both in the Community Forums!

I'm very sorry about this situation. When it comes to privacy concerns, please, see @Odyssey13 response above. Now, when it comes to the data charges, we don't have any information about this but keep an eye on the Forums. If we have any official announcement, we'll be sure to share it with you.

Thanks a lot for your comprehension. Anything else, we're here to help!

The data privacy blanket statement does not cover this situation. There was A LOT OF DATA sent from our phones to Fitbit. We'd like to know what that data was... specifically... and if any sensitive information was breached by Fitbit or any third-party.

As for the wasted data on our cell plans, your answer is another non-answer. You can't or won't say. And we're just supposed to watch the forum for something about???

So, more words. Still no answers.

Best Answer

I wonder if Fitbit will cover the £300 the increased data use fault is going to cost me due to the multiple connections the app made during a one-hour layover in Zurich...

Best Answer