Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Notifications: not working on Silent mode (RESOLVED - 5/3)

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Fitbit Update: 5/3/18

Hi, everyone! 

We released to 100% the next Fitbit for Android app update: 2.71. In this app version, we released the fix for this notifications issue. Please update your app!

You will see a new option in your Notifications Settings that reads "Vibration Settings," which is where you can toggle on/off if you want to receive notifications when your phone is set to Do not disturb or Silent mode. 

I'm glad we could get this resolved for you all! Your patience was really appreciated. 

Fitbit Update: 4/23

Hi all - Our team is currently working on a fix so you all can get your notifications back whenever in "Silent mode." 

I don't know when the fix will be released but I will let you know once I have that information available. Thanks for your patience! Sounds like many of you are using the workaround to just put your phone on vibrate to the lowest setting. I appreciate everyone helping each other out and making suggestions for the time being. 

Updated: 4/20

Hi, everyone!

Our team is aware of this Notification issue when you put your Android device in Silent mode. This began with the last app version 2.70. 

largeandroid.jpeg

If your phone is on Silent mode, notifications will not reach your watch/tracker. If you have silent mode off, your notifications will be received. 

I will provide updates on this problem here. Please stay tuned! Thanks so much for your patience. 

Want to get more steps? Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
230 REPLIES 230

How does an update like this pass internal development testing and then also pass QA, UAT, piloting...?? What was the roll back plan? 

Best Answer

If you find the APK for 2.69 or whatever the exact app version was before 2.7, it goes back to normal. I had to sideload the app for now but I still have notifications. It'll do until there's a fix. 

Best Answer

Screenshot_20180421-030620_Gmail.jpg

Here ya go guys and gals!!  They have heard us!!

Best Answer

The warning message sounds like this was a deliberate design choice. Is that really the case? Because if so there is a clear lack of understanding for how users actually use their devices. If not, I hope you guys fix it asap!

Best Answer

Hi there everyone, thank you all for your feedback and patience and for bringing this issue to our attention. As @AlessFitbit mentioned earlier, this was an issue found in the latest version of the Fitbit app in Android platforms, it was not implemented by design.

I know many of you including my self prefer to have in silent mode our phones. So rest assure we are working to find a solution. 

So far, we haven't heard new updates, as soon there are more news we will let you know.

Roberto | Community Moderator

"Great things are done by a series of small things brought together.” What's Cooking?

Best Answer

Yes! Please correct this. This was a determining factor in my purchase of a Fitbit. I love having my phone on silent and not disturbing anyone, but still able to know when I receive a text/phone call. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

This is driving me mad I rely on my fitbit sending me notifications and I always have my phone on silent,Please fix this Asap

Best Answer
0 Votes

Same... I regularly use my phone on silent but expect to get notifications on my band.  I do not believe this was a bug, this appears to have been a purposeful design choice (and a stupid one). Please fix it!

Best Answer
0 Votes

This really doesn't work for me. I can't have my phone out at work. I need to be able to get notifications when my phone is on silent. I can't be disconnected from my kids daycare and school. This is a terrible update. Please correct it soon.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks Fitbit your software developers are just the best and lets not forget about the team that tests the product before issuing to the loyal fitbit users 😞

Just out of interest what were the amazing new benefits on the last two updates that I could experience while basic functionality was removed or broken, just curious.

Ultimately add me to the ever growing list of unhappy fitbit users.

Best Answer
0 Votes

If I put my S8 on mute it will not allow any fitbit notifications through. Note that DND is not on. This defeats the way I have been using it too. I normally keep my phone on mute, and can turn on occassionally when needed.

I now have to mess around with all the settings to get every single app to stop notifying me and vibrating, and put call on silent. I now have no easy way to turn them back on occassionally either.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I highly agree!  I just got my fitbit Ionic yesterday and when I saw the reason I was not getting my notifications I was furious!  I will be returning this and going back to my Garmin if fitbit does not fix this feature, which is very disappointing to me.

Best Answer
I spoke with customer service Friday, I was told they are aware of the
issue. He said it was because I have a Samsung s9 and it is a newer phone
that they don't have the programming just right (I don't remember the exact
phrase he used).

They don't have an ETA for the fix but some people are able to override it
by going into your phone application settings for fitbit and overriding the
DND notifications. Didn't work for me but might for ya'll.

Still frustrated that it was a feature we had and came to love, to no
longer be available.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you for the info!  I have a s7 so I will try the DND override and see if that works for now!

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thank you for the suggestion. I tried this on my Samsung galaxy note 5 and
it didn't work. Hopefully fitbit fixes this soon!
Best Answer
0 Votes

When will the next update be?? 

Really frustrating to not get notifications

Best Answer

I have set the intensity of my phone's vibrate notification to 0, so effectively vibrate mode is now the same as silent, notifications to my fitbit work now 

Best Answer
Prefect! I'll try that and see how it works! Thank you for the suggestion!
Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks!  I'm going to try that!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have this same issue and reported it in another posting of a similar nature, "Notifications: not working on Silent Mode". That topic is more specific to a recent app update which, coincidentally, forces all Android users to the same issue that we have.

Android phones like the Google Pixel, Pixel XL, Pixel 2, Pixel 2 XL that use Google's standard operating system no longer have a silent, non-do-not-disturb mode starting from Android 5.0. The current operating system used is Android 8.1.

If I wanted a Do Not Disturb function to reflect what was on my phone, I would turn off notifications directly on the phone. The option to turn off notifications on Fitbit in addition to the Do Not Disturb not sending notifications from the phone is redundant. I came from a Pebble Time and a Pebble 2, both of which allowed for notifications to send in Do Not Disturb mode AND a "Quiet Time" shortcut by holding down the left button, which continued notifications, but turned off vibrations.

I have taken all the steps possible on my side to figure out a workaround (3rd party apps, system settings), but there is absolutely nothing that I can do other than to get a phone like the Samsung Galaxy series, which offers a silent, non-do-not-disturb mode, or an iPhone.

Please make notifications arrive in Do Not Disturb mode a toggle, an option, or just the default behavior.

Best Answer
0 Votes