Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Persistent notification: "Fitbit lost access"

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hi everyone - Thanks for your reports on this persistent notification in the Android app "Fitbit lost access to status bar notifications." 

This has been escalated to the Android team. If a fix is included in the next version 2.69, I'll make sure to announce that here.

If you haven't yet, please try a restart on your Android device. This should help and prevent the notification from showing up again. Thanks for your help and cooperation!

Want to get more steps? Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
131 REPLIES 131

Hi Kate, I am experiencing the issue on a Samsung S7. As others have mentioned, rebooting doesn't resolve anything.

Best Answer
0 Votes

A fix for this annoying notification would be much appreciated.  I want my notifications for goals, low battery, etc. but I will never want to give this app access to all my private information.   This should not be a required feature in order to use this device.  Thank you.

LG G4

Best Answer

Notification is one thing,but although I have notifications disabled, fitbit buzzes when my phone rings .I dont want that, what can I do ?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Im having same issues and suggested fixes workarounds are not helping. I'm on a Nokia 6, Android 7.1.2

Thanks

Best Answer
0 Votes

Just uninstalled the app and reinstalled and seems to fix the issue. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

You are a gem. I wasn't okay with the "fitbit will be able to view all of your messages and perform actions on them". Sure tell me if my Mom taunts me but I don't need you reading my conspiracy theory text threads I have with my psychic.

Best Answer
0 Votes

HI there Android friends! Thank you all for sharing your workarounds and for keep reporting the issue you are experiencing. As it was mentioned in previous posts, the first thing to try is to perform a restart on your mobile phones, in case you haven't tried it yet.

If is not working and the issue persists, rest assure we have escalated this to our Android team to investigate further as it was mentioned by @AlessFitbit and @KateFitbit.

As soon more details become available, any of us will be posting more updates to keep you informed.

Thank you all for your patience.

Roberto | Community Moderator

"Great things are done by a series of small things brought together.” What's Cooking?

Best Answer
0 Votes

According the the Fitbit help article, Why is the Fitbit app sending a notification to my Android phone?, one can turn off the notifications by Tap & Hold on the notification and select Don't Send Notifications - would that help eliminate this issue?

From the help article:

To hide the Fitbit Sync Service notification:

1. Press and hold on the notification.
  2. Turn the notification off. 
  3. Tap Done.
Best Answer
0 Votes

@RobertoME Thanks for giving it some thought, but I've tried this proposed solution three times and it hasn't worked on any attempt. My device is a Moto Z Force Droid. I'm fairly certain that I won't be trying it a fourth time until I at least see one update to the Fitbit App.

Best Answer

@USAF-Larry No, it did  not eliminate the issue. Thanks for considering it, though.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@USAF-Larry @RobertoME I found that if I combine your two recommended solutions, the notification does disappear (so far at least).

What I did was press & hold on the notification, then select "Block all notifications", then click "Done". Then I restarted the phone and repeated this 3-step process one additional time. Then I restarted the phone again, and the notification has NOT yet reappeared.

The only caveat is that I'm afraid I've lost all Fitbit notifications now. But I'd rather have zero notifications than to have to constantly see the unwanted notification.

Thanks for the help.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@USAF-Larry, Sorry, that's a different issue. that turns off notifications from the app. That's part of the problem, we don't want to block notifications from the Fitbit App, we want to block the Fitbit App from read all the notifications from all my other apps.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Charge 2, Android M.

In my status bar (swipe down from top), I have a persistent message: "Fitbit lost access to status bar notifications". Tapping this opens the Android notifications settings where 'Fitbit notifications' is currently not enabled.

Issue 1: Enabling Fitbit notifications grants Fitbit access to private data that I prefer to not grant.

Issue 2: I cannot swipe (dismiss) this Fitbit warning in the status bar as long as I have not enabled 'Fitbit notifications'.

Very few apps on my phone have notifications enabled, but Fitbit is the ONLY one that puts a persistent (cannot be dismissed) notification in the status bar.  This is using up real estate on my status bar and is very irritating.  Often, it's the only notification on the bar.

Rebooting my phone did not fix this and there are currently no Fitbit updates in queue for my phone.

Perhaps to Fitbit's marketing credit, this is irritating enough to cause me to log into Fitbit's web site, which I rarely do.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I updated Android to Oreo version last weekend and now I got two permanent notifications shown from Fitbit app:

- First notification:

1 apps are running in the background

Fitbit

- Second notification:

Fitbit Sync Service: Last synced (...)

Screenshot_20180328-122250_Samsung Experience Home.jpg

I can dismiss neither of them. They appear on the status bar as two icons now. I have other apps running in the background, too. Why only Fitbit triggers Android System to show the notification ( usually it means that the app may be using too much of resources when running in the background, like power consumption or memory - that shouldn't be really a case )?

On top of that, the Fitbit icon has a permanent badge with number 1 stick to it. I can do nothing to get rid of it so I see a badge on the whole folder of my fitness apps.

20180328_122218.jpg

It's been a while since issues were reported. Isn't time to actually fix it?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have done this multiple times and was still getting the message.  I deleted the fit bit app and re-downloaded the latest app.  No longer get message but now I do not get my text message notifications even when I'm 1 foot from my phone.

Best Answer
0 Votes

This message is coming up on both my husband's & my fitbit. I have had my fitbit (the one I have now) for about a year or so and never had this trouble. I have restarted our phones and still get the message. Please fix this, it's rather annoying.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I got my new Samsung J3 a couple of days ago, and installed the fitbit app into it. My Alta synced to it a couple of times,  but then I had this notification, and then my tracker stopped connecting my phone altogether,  although I hadn't changes any settings and tried to sync it various times?  So I unlinked my tracker, then tried to connect it again. It says that it is connected, but when it comes to typing in the numbers, nothing comes up on my tracker. I have restarted my phone, and reinstalled the app, but nothing has happened?

I don't think anyone has experienced the same problem,  but any help would be appreciated x

Best Answer
0 Votes

I tried reinstalling  the app.  Re-downloaded the new app.  I did test notifications ; got them but now no text notifications; just phone. I have restarted my phone, checked my settings.  Everything it said to do but no text notifications.  My fitbit charge 2 is just over a year old.  This is very frustrating.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Why does FitBit or any other company need access to the content of anyone's emails?
I love the products but they are not worth sacrificing privacy.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Restart does nothing. I would expect this fix to be a priority. 

Best Answer