Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RESOLVED 06/16/2018: "Notification service not running" error

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Fitbit Update 06/16/2018

Thank you for reporting the error is not longer showing in the Fitbit app. This issue has been resolved with the release of the Fitbit app for Android, version 2.73. If you're still experiencing issues receiving notifications. Make sure to confirming that you're updated to the latest app release and following our notifications troubleshooting tips provided in this help article.

I'm moving forward in closing this thread as the issue has been resolved and there is no need to post future updates. If you have questions regarding the Compatibility of your phone, refer to this help article: Which phones and tablets can I use with my Fitbit watch or tracker?

Thank you for your continued patience as we worked to get this resolved.

_________________________________________________________________________________

Fitbit Update 05/09/2018

Hi, Android users!

Some of you may be seeing the following error message inside of the Fitbit for Android app:"Notification service not running. A phone restart is required to re-enable notifications on your tracker." Even if you perform a restart, the error message persists. 

Thanks for reporting! Our team has been notified and are investigating. We will make sure to update you all if we receive more information. In the meantime, we appreciate your patience. 

androidimage1.png

Want to get more steps? Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
340 REPLIES 340

I have no idea what you mean by that??? What are non Fitbit fit notifications? And how do I turn them on?

@KiwiDalang wrote:

Try the (non Fitbit) Fit Notifications. It's working well for me

Best Answer
0 Votes

Search for 'Fit Notifications' on the app store

Best Answer

@rflowers wrote:

I have no idea what you mean by that??? What are non Fitbit fit notifications? And how do I turn them on?

@KiwiDalang wrote:

Try the (non Fitbit) Fit Notifications. It's working well for me

You can try that app, but unfortunately it didn't help for me.  It relies on the Fitbtit notification service operating, which is the whole problem - it is not running.

However, encourage you to give it a try, it has helped some owners.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@RobertoME   As you can see v2.71 still has not cured the issue, and more owners are reporting the issue in this (and other) threads.  

Seeing some owners now saying they will get rid of their Fitbit and they regretted their purchase. I am one of them.

PLEASE report to developers and support to get this issue fixed.   Owners have been very patient for 5 months but at some point people may go beyond just expressing frustration in this community forum

Best Answer
Unfortunately it didn't work for me...but thank you for the suggestion. I
guess it is actually fitbit's notifications that are failing me 😂
Best Answer

That's a shame. I seem to recall the guy that built it had some pretty specific instructions on how to set it up on your phone. Including that you need to have the sound because Fitbit have broken it even further with the latest upgrade. 

Best Answer
Well that totally sucks
Best Answer

I agree. It does suck. 

Every so many days, I uninstall the Fitbit app, then reinstall it, and go through the ritual of resetting everything from scratch. The notifications works for a few days, then disappear again. Another cycle of uninstall....

I think the app programmers are busy making changes to make the app work with the bells and whistles that come with Versa. They failed us and with that goes our brand loyalty.

Best Answer

Hello, I have a semi-fix which will work in the meantime whilst Fitbit come up with a fix. 

Step 1- Uninstall the app 

Step 2- download Fitbit version 2.63 

step 3- turn off automatic updates from the google play store

This has worked for me so far and I have not had to keep installing/reinstalling, this is only a temporary fix but hopefully they release an update soon. 

Moderator Edit: Removed External Link

Best Answer

I really don't have the time or patience in my life to do all that...and honestly it's ridiculous that we even have to .

I really hope Fitbit picks up on this because it's not looking good for them in my eyes...so I'm sure as anything not going to spend another near $200 for the versa. 

@Fitbit you are failing me miserably. Smiley Mad

@Bamox wrote:

I agree. It does suck. 

Every so many days, I uninstall the Fitbit app, then reinstall it, and go through the ritual of resetting everything from scratch. The notifications works for a few days, then disappear again. Another cycle of uninstall....

I think the app programmers are busy making changes to make the app work with the bells and whistles that come with Versa. They failed us and with that goes our brand loyalty.

Best Answer

UPDATE - solved (for me)
There's an update to Andriod System WebView. version 66.0.3359.158 (7th May 2018) - after updating, all notifications are coming in and connection seems to be steady.

Original post:
I have a Versa + Andriod (Oppo F1- running Andriod 5.1) running the latest Fitbit app (v. 2.71)

Every now and then i will stop receiving notifications and when I check in the Fitbit App -> Notifications : "Notification Service not running, A phone restart is required to re-enable notification on your tracker."

I've done this repeatedly for the past few days...and it is getting tiring because after restarting, the notification will come, and suddenly it will be nothing all again, and the cycle begins again by restarting the phone.

Solution tried:

1. Installed older APK - some say it helped...not too sure.

2. Tried everythiing in this article -> http://help.fitbit.com/articles/en_US/Help_article/1610

- even with the Keep-Alive widget on, it still requires me to restart the phone.

Now, just stuck with a really heartbreaking purchase.

Hope someone has a solution, i'll keep thinking of how to overcome using other methods - if there's any good news, will be sharing here.

-howie

Best Answer

Hi everyone, thank you for keep reporting this issue and my sincere apologies for the late response.

I appreciate all participants who have sent your phone details, so we can have a wider scope of this error. Rest assure I have passed forward these information to our teams. 

When more information is available I will keep you posted. Catch you later!

Roberto | Community Moderator

"Great things are done by a series of small things brought together.” What's Cooking?

Best Answer
0 Votes

This has been happening on and off for me too. It started started again when I updated my Ionic's firmware. It doesn't matter how many times I restart the phone, it just asks for another restart the next time I open the app. This is also blocking socket connections made by some of the apps on the watch.

Errors message is:
"Notification service not running. A phone restart is required to re-enable notifications on your tracker."

And the notification I get is:
"Restart your phone to restore tracker notifications.
Fitbit cannot forward Android notifications to your tracker. Restart your phone to continue getting notifications on your tracker."

Best Answer

I am using xiaomi redmi. It's on list of compatible devices for message notifications and I'm also getting the same error message. 

Best Answer

My phone is Huawei Mate 10 pro

Best Answer
0 Votes

Do you know how long it will take to be up and running? Also i don't receive my notifications consistently? Are there possible reasons why? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

My Charge 2 has become a very expensive watch. I gave up trying to reliably sync it or get notifications ages ago. Just checked, and apparently my last sync was on the 21st April, and then I get this error.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Same errore here also.

I am using Redmi note 4 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Versa + OnePlus5t. I hope That solution will come soon. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi there Android fellows, thank you for keep reporting this error. Rest assure this has been escalated already and is under review.

@HowieChin let me give you a warm welcome to the Fitbit Community and I took the liberty to merge your post with our dedicated thread for this error. I appreciate you have share your workaround and I'm wondering how it goes so far? If you don't mind, I would like to share your suggestion whit the affected users.

I found the post of @HowieChin. Who kindly shared that updating the Android System WebView version has been able to obtain a steady connection for notifications. For all of those who are experiencing this issue, I would like to recommend to try this workaround.

For more details refer to @HowieChin's post here.

So far there is not a timeframe of when will be available a fix, as I do not have an specific release date for those who are wondering.

However as soon more details become available I'll make sure to keep you all informed. Thank you for your great patience.

Roberto | Community Moderator

"Great things are done by a series of small things brought together.” What's Cooking?

Best Answer