Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aria 2 won't connect to WiFi

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

So having difficulties connecting my new Aria 2 to Wifi.

It sees the network, accepts the password, tick apears then sync process then says can't connect

I have tried the following:-

• Reseting Router
  • Trying a different router
  • Trying a wifi extender
  • Changing from WPA to WPA-2 personal to WEP
  • Changing to a simple wifi password
  • Changing mode from 802.11 b/g/n mixed to g/n mixed to n only
  • My DHCP table shows it as having an IP and lease
  • banging head against wall
  • praying to the various gods and minor dieties
  • asking my two year old for technical advice

What is my next step? Is this a firmware issue or an issue with the synchronisation servers?

Yours hopefully

P.s also tried taking batteries out for ten min, router is 8 feet in direct line of sight to router, there are other wireless devices on network which are working fine.

Geoff

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
110 REPLIES 110

Let me save you and everyone else on this forum some wasted efforts of resetting and going through technical support when their Aria scale stops connecting to the network

I'll bet that in the vast majority of these cases it will be because you have an updated network and you are dealing with a legacy device (the Aria weighing scales). This device uses a stone-age chipset of 

802.11b which requires bitrates of between 1 and 11Mbps and uses a different modulation scheme so anything using that scheme basically drags *EVERY* radio signal in your house and the surrounding area down to these bitrates and messes with every other network in range the same way

Disabling any new features in your network Wifi router should "fix" the "problem"

So turn any high performing network into a slow dated network that crushes your network speeds nd those of every other network in radio range as well should solve your connectivity issues

Best Answer
0 Votes
If your WAP does not have a second configurable 2.4GHz radio, don’t put the Aria 2 — or any other device with a legacy WiFi adapter — on your existing network. That would be silly and a waste.

Instead, purchase a brand new 802.11b router from Amazon for $20 — there are many there, some even cheaper — and use it specifically for older devices while allowing your existing WiFi to have peak speeds. You would be surprised how many older devices are still in use.
Best Answer
0 Votes

While I appreciate your response I believe this will not solve the problem

If there is any AP pumping out 802.11b signals it brings down the whole frequency range limiting all other AP's and networks within rage by overwhelming the frequency

It does allow you to connect a legacy device, but at the price of crushing high performing networks we are all increasingly dependent on especially with everyone now wireless and many services including gaming and video moved to the network

THere's no point in having an ISP deliver 100/100 Mbs service if all you get is 5/5 on your WiFi?

Best Answer
0 Votes
This is no longer an issue with newer devices. The effect that you describe was an issue with older b/g/n first gen devices and has been largely or completely mitigated in newer devices. It also does not affect 5GHz devices. This is why we have multiple channels.

Please use restraint before posting alarmist responses as “solutions”. You may want to help, but you make the problem worse by providing out of date information and distracting from answers which work.

This happens to be something I do for a living — and have since 1993. If I wasn’t sure of my answer I would surely have withheld my initial reply.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Huh?  Is this some lame form of mansplaining?  Because you “Do it for a living”?  Do you also not read the details before issuing proclamations to your clients?  

it’s all new devices. Our gen 1 Scale works, but the gen 2 doesn’t. Explain that one genius. 

don’t assume you know more than us.  We’re “in the business” too 

Best Answer
If you had bothered to read my post, you would know I have an Aria 2. I was able to solve my problem with it.

I have presented a solution that works. It is your choice to be somehow injured by this, and to ignore it. Waaaah.
Best Answer
0 Votes

So do you have a fix? Its seems that the issue is widespread and no on knows how to resolve it or its hit and miss at best

Best Answer
0 Votes
Yes, what worked for me was pretty straight forward, I uninstalled the FitBid app on my iPhone, downloaded it again and then added the scale.
I had tried like a 100 times to add the scale as a new device, which always seemed to work except it would not sync to the app like we all know. The glitch had to be somewhere, and since the scale seemed to do all on her end it left only the FitBid app as the problem. Yes, I hear all the professionals and all the info about wireless routers and how to go back to the older protocols , but that was way over my head..So simply uninstalling the app was my last resource before returning the scale, it worked and it has not failed me since.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Me too! I'm returning this piece of crap to bestbuy.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Too late for me to return this product... I read posts from 2015 to 2020.. tried everything but it did not work!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I solved this problem after some experimentation.  Set the Aria 2 up on your mobile phone (I guess a tablet would work as well).  Shut down fitbit on the phone.  It will now be visible and set up completely on your PC and contain all the necessary WIFI dedtails.

Best Answer
0 Votes

So the 'best answer; was to return to the shop and get a refund?

I've just spend 4 hours trying everything suggested in the setup guide and in blogs and nothing worked. Looks like I just wasted by money. Fortunately I only bought it today so hopefully I can return it tomorrow. 

Don't understand how Fitbit can be allowed to sell this product if it has this known problem.

Wish I had read this blog yesterday!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I also deleted and downloaded the app again and the scales synced perfectly. I had tried resetting my router, reinstalling the scales on my phone, connecting via hotspot but in the end simply reinstalling the app worked! 

Best Answer

Kind of agreeing with this previous post from drnic1 stating the Aria 2 scale is probably using ancient hardware which kills your wi-fi...

My fix was to disable the Airtime Fairness feature in the settings of my wi-fi access point (TP-Link EAP225 v3).

With Airtime Fairness enabled, the Aria 2 scale is simply incapable of even seeing my wi-fi network... not sure why really but the behaviour is undisputable: as soon as I disable Airtime Fairness, my wi-fi network pops up in the Fitbit app scan results, and the scale connects instantly.

It's pity really... Airtime Fairness is supposed to be a neat feature that increases the overall performance of the wi-fi network, but I cannot use it because of the Fitbit Aria scale 😕

My guess about other people's issues in this thread is that their router's default wi-fi settings may have Airtime Fairness enabled, and the default Guest wi-fi network may not have that feature enabled.

That being said, using a seperate (dedicated or not) wi-fi network just to accomodate the scale's lack of compatibility isn't necessarily a better solution performance-wise.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Anybody get the sneaking suspicion that this is a design flaw? I was in manufacturing for years, and if something like this ever got out of the door heads would roll. Come on guys. You guys haveahave a good idea, but someone's dropping the ball.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi.

Thank you very much for your post. i have been trying to set up my aria 2 scales to new router for days. tried your way , worked first time. mayby fitbit should put this on there instruction pages.

jm

Best Answer
0 Votes

Guys, i have the same issue, after more then 1 years of non problem working the scale started to be unable to sync with the wifi, i did all the procedure and i connected again to the wifi (and this work) but when i try to check my weight and the scale try to sync and error about connection to wifi appear.

Please help me.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I solved the same problem
Open the flap holding battery press the small black button and follow instructions on aria 2

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

Which scale did you buy?  My Aria 2 can't even see WiFi networks.  I'm giving up and looking for other options.

Thanks

Best Answer
0 Votes

I changed internet providers on June 18th, today December 12th, I was finally able to get my Aria 2 to connect.  I have visited this forum several times and, obviously, given up several times without success.  I tried everything listed multiple times.  I have taken the batteries out over 50 times.  I finally achieved success by borrowing a friends phone and installing the fitbit app.  The Aria found the new device which I had connected to my wifi.  I then deleted Aria from my phone.  I removed the app from the new phone.  I added Aria as a new device on my phone and it was connected to the new wifi.  I had deleted Aria from my phone multiple times before, but I was never able to update it with a new wifi.  This was accomplished in less than 7 months.  I am far from the only one to have this issue.  Hopefully this will save some people several months of headaches.  I do like the scale and products, but all seem to have serious issues.

Best Answer
0 Votes