Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aria Setup Failure

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I am also unable to set up my Aria.

I followed all these directions (thanks to Erich for helpfully posting):
- Take out all the batteries and wait for one minute before placing them back in.
- Clear your browser's cache and cookies.
- Check that your Wi-Fi password is correct.
- Make sure the Aria scale is within 10 feet of the router.
- Make sure the scale wireless antenna has access to the main router signal, not to an extender.
- Your router needs to be configured to standard 802.11b (for more information about this you can contact your internet provider or your router's manufacturer)

My router is in this mode right now:  Mixed accepts 802.11b and 802.11g connections.  I could have switched it to 802.11b only, but since it says it accepts 802.11b I left it in this mode.

Every time, I do the following:
1.  take out battery, replace battery after 1 minute
2.  Aria says V31 Wifi [SSID], Tap to Change
3.  I hold down lower edge, "Setup Active" appears on the scale
4.  I follow the instructions on my iPhone app, which has me log in to my Fitbit account
5.  It asks me to switch to AriaXXXX wireless network, which I do
6.  It seeks and finds my wireless network, which I select.

7.  It then asks me to switch back to my home wireless, which happens automatically on my iPhone, and then I click a button saying I am connected, and the iPhone attempts to connect to the Aria, BUT
8.  While I am doing that, and before I can get to the button, the scale says JOINING, then Wifi ERR, then goes dark.

5 attempts so far, it's packed and ready to go back pending a non-boilerplate response from Fitbit.  Any help is appreciated!

Best Answer
181 REPLIES 181

I've been having the same syncing problems and contacted customer support.  After multiple emails over several days with Erik, I'm left with no answers and a scale that won't sync.  He said it was a hardware malfunction, asked me to send my reciept then told me I bought it from an unauthorized dealer.  I bought it from Amazon in a brand new unopened sealed box. How would I know if it was an authorized dealer or not.  Fitbit's own site doesn't say it's authorized and there's no post about being sure to know you buy from an authorized dealter. 

My Aria worked fine before I changed my wifi set up and am now using a Mac.  At least the scale showed my weight before I tried to sync it, now all it does is show smiley face, sensing ERR.  If I set it up using my cell phone it gets all the way to the end, then reverts back to set up mode,  ughhhh, 4 days and no results. 

I know its a set up problem with the Aria because so many people have had the same experience.  I'm hoping you can give me better advice than Erik.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@lcevanslpc Sorry you've had problems with your Aria. The symptoms you describe are consistent with a hardware issue, and we would recommend replacing the scale. It sounds like you made your purchase through a third-party reseller via Amazon, which would not be covered by our warranty, as it's not possible for us to ensure quality outside of authorized retailers. I'd recommend getting in touch with that resller and letting them know that the scale is not working as expected and needs to be replaced.

Best Answer

Fitbit sent me another scale, couldn't set that one up either.  

@Matthew wrote:

@dorvisbunn If you are consistently seeing "Sensing", "Thinking", and then "Err" on your scale, please respond to your support case and let them know that you are seeing this specific pattern.  They will be able to assist you further once you provide them with these details.

@Matthew wrote:

@dorvisbunn If you are consistently seeing "Sensing", "Thinking", and then "Err" on your scale, please respond to your support case and let them know that you are seeing this specific pattern.  They will be able to assist you further once you provide them with these details.

Fitbit sent me another scale when the older model wouldn't connect to a new modem.
Not a great response to a problem that many people are having.  Only device that won't connect to wifi.  Very frustrating.

Madeline
Best Answer
0 Votes

I am not going to downgrade my security for Aria.

@DAVIZINHO wrote:

last month i configure a aria scale and i have a lot of problems

finally I solve all the problems changing the security of the wifi to WEB not WPA or WPA2.

I am not going to downgrade my security for Aria.

Madeline
Best Answer

Happy for you.  I still can't connect....

Madeline
Best Answer
0 Votes
My aria went in the trash months ago, wouldn't even act as a scale just showed Err message. Customer service did not honor warranty, said I did not buy it from them. Good luck. My Fitbit has been replaced once and now it won't hold a charge.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes
Hi - thanks for your email. I have an IT friend coming over to evaluate the problem. I have never this much trouble with a device. It did work once with my old modem. Fitbit can't expect people to change all of the settings on their existing equipment to sync what appears to be old chips in the aria scale.
Madeline
Best Answer
0 Votes

I've also been trying to get my scale connected for the past 2 months. We moved and switched internet providers. I have followed every direction in every way, and it still does not connect. I have entered my network password and waited. Still shows ERR. I have tried just this morning 14 times to connect it. 

It should not be this complicated. I am not that inept at technology, however, this makes me want to pull my hair out. We should not have to mess with router settings to connect a scale. That is just insane. No other wifi device I have ever had suggests we mess with router settings. This problem has been ongoing from the beginning, why years later has nothing been done to fix it. 

Best Answer

i'm having close to the same issue with mine i go to connect with the scale & it starts to connect & then the scale leaves set-up mode and then i try again and every time the scale leaves set-up mode.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I threw mine away after trying to get it to work for a month.
Best Answer
0 Votes

@DAVIZINHO wrote:

last month i configure a aria scale and i have a lot of problems

finally I solve all the problems changing the security of the wifi to WEB not WPA or WPA2.

I'm using WPA2 with no problems so that isn't an issue.

Note: I had the same problems as everyone else: the Mac setup program didn't work, and I had long ago disabled B-mode on my router (WTF?) so I had to back the wifi down to B-only to get it to sync. Seems to be fine with the router on Auto B/G/N now, but for setup purposes it had to be B-mode only.

Fitbit stuff is good, but 802.11b? Are they aware that many modern wifi units don't support it at all due to it being obsolete for 10+ years now?

Best Answer

I'm not low-tech:  I'm totally non-tech.

I've followed all the instructions a half-dozen times. I'm sitting beside the router, mobile phone in hand, laptop on lap, scale on the hard-surfaced floor right beside me. Brand new batteries. Blah blah blah.

I've read through the community threads and followed those instructions as best I can. (WPA? WPA2? WTF?)

The "connecting" wheel will spin endlessly, probably eternally, if I'd let it.

I don't know anything about software, but I think this hideously expensive scale is a piece of cr*p. I'd send the scale back if I could, and at this point, I'd send the Charger (which seems not to be on the products list anymore) back as well.

I'm definitely looking at non-Fitbit products on my next foray into "healthy-lifestyle tracking."  >.<

Best Answer

I am having the same problem after putting scale into setup mode finds and states network connected. step on scale, advises to step off then says thinking and then ERR, PLEASE help I'm getting so aggrivated

Best Answer

If I hadn't had this scale for too long to return it, I'd demand my money back.

Best Answer

2016 FitBit Aria Scale WIFI connection contingency

14 July 2016 Connecting Aria Scale to a desktop pc is a pig and I gave up after too many tries.

My successful solution was, put Aria Scale in setup mode.

Press Wireless WPS button on my BT Hub5 Router.

Using iPad or iPhone select Settings, select or ensure that Wi-Fi is ON and select item displayed ARIA etc.

Using either iPad or iPhone, select your browser and enter Fitbit Start Aria

A Setting up your scale page displays.

In the tiniest lettering possible at the bottom left a message says “If your using a smart phone now, or don’t want to download the (desktop pc) set-up tool, use the web based set up

Before you START web based set up you will need the Service Set IDentifier (SSID) of your wireless Router or Wireless Access Point (WAP) and their PASSWORD.

Selecting the web based set up guides you through processes that results in completion of the Aria scale set up and connection to your wireless network.

Good luck my friends

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for posting that! I will give it a try as soon as I have a chance - and I will (try to remember to) report back here as to whether or not I could get it working.  🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Made @jenndenn It's great to see you both in the Community! I appreciate your feedback regarding the protocol the the Aria needs. The protocols are 802.11b or mixed mode. These are protocols required for the Aria scale and I appreciate your understanding with this.

@shaggyf250 @SunsetRunner @Kmelvin31 So sorry to hear that you have experienced setup issues with your Aria scale. My friend @Casique provided a nice workaround and I'd like to thank for your contribution. Let me know how this workaround for you my friends. If your Aria scales still unable to be set up. My best advice is to contact our "Customer Support" team so they can investigate further and get this issue sorted out for you.

Keep me posted on the outcome my friends and I'll be around! Smiley Happy

JuanJo | Community Moderator

Running with music makes you happy! Share Your Story

Best Answer
0 Votes

That's where I am too.  Hopefully they'll make improvements in the future.

@TheBerns wrote:

The thing that is most problematic is this email that they sent us: 

We are sorry to hear that your Aria scale is displaying a "Thinking...ERR" message after completing the setup process.
Rest assured that you are now at good hands, let your wife know that we will be glad to assist you with your Aria scale. This message indicates that your scale is properly setup so keep in mind that your efforts were rewarded. The main caused of this situation is by your scale attempting to calibrate after being moved.

The scale says that it's set up but we still ge the "ERR" message when she steps on it.  It also states that it's connected to our network but does not show the wifi siginal.  I just want to return it and get my money back at this point.

That's where I am too!

Best Answer
0 Votes

@marilyn15 Thanks for joining us in this thread and welcome to the Community! I'd like to know which of the following messages appear on your scale:

- Sensing Thinking ERR

- WiFi ERR

This will help me to provide the correct troubleshooting steps that will get this issue sorted out. Looking forward to your response my friend! Smiley Happy

JuanJo | Community Moderator

Running with music makes you happy! Share Your Story

Best Answer
0 Votes
I spoke to Fitbit support today, and the solution for me was so simple it made me cry.

The answer to allow the Aria to reconnect to a new WiFi network is actually to delete the Aria users from your account which has the effect of 'un-pairing' your Aria which will then allow it to connect to a new WiFi network. Please note that this operation is NOT possible via the IOS or Android mobile apps which do not have this functionality, so it has to be done via a browser on the Fitbit web site by logging into your account.

Just login and enter settings. Select your Aria from your device list and then click the 'x' against each and all users of the scale. When the list is empty, your aria should be removed from your device list automatically.

At this point you can then run the normal setup procedure to add a new Aria, which will take you through the process of logging onto your Aria itself via WiFi, and connecting it to your house WiFi again.

This worked flawlessly for me with NO special WiFi settings. I only have an alphanumeric WiFi passcode on my router so you may need this but I don't think it matters.

I also didn't have to disable ANY security settings at all, it just works.

You will not lose any previously synchronised weight measurements.

Until I did this - my Aria was flatly refusing to connect at all despite trying all the suggested 'solutions' I could find on the community forum.

Please let me know if it helps you!
Best Answer
0 Votes