Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blaze Firmware Release - 17.8.301.8

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Firmware version 17.8.301.8 - Resolves a syncing issue with Apple iOS version 10.2

Workout mode missing? Not a problem! Just follow the steps for adding it back

Hey everyone! Robot Happy

We're rolling out a new update for Blaze, release notes below: 

• In addition to call, text, and calendar event notifications, thirdpartyapps.jpgyou can receive notifications from email and other third-party apps on your tracker.Common emojis also appear. Keep in mind all notifications currently on your tracker will be deleted after the update.
  • You can receive reminders to move throughout the day.
  • Five new clock faces are available. Navigate to your device settings and check them out!

Moment.pngCircuit.pngAce.pngNautical.pngArgyle.png

This release also resolves the following issue:

• Some users reported that auto-brightness was too dim or delayed.

Important to note: A sync is required after a manual shutdown or a battery drain in order to show the correct time on Blaze. This is especially important for your activity tracked by Blaze because you'll want to make sure it's associated with the current date and time.

Andrew | Community Moderator, Fitbit

What motivates you?

Best Answer
895 REPLIES 895

I think I'm going to set up reminders in Google Keep to remind me to check for the update at 15 minutes left in the hour every hour.  Then when I'm disappointed that the update still does not exist, at least on my phone, I will get up and move around.  

Best Answer

I agree? I am waiting for the 17.8.3017 also ? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Perfect advise, use your excitement or frustration on your steps.  Before you know the prize will be rewarded. Sad to say though that the next update probably will not a public press statement.  It will be quietly launched and monitored through the threads.  

Good customer service is solving the customer's problem. Great customer service is making sure it never happens again.
Best Answer
I promised myself quitting writing here, when I did I was maybe sarcastic but also trying to joke about it inviting people to take it easy. I have been banned by moderator. That's even more disappointing than the bad communication and the wait. It's a forum and since none has been offended or insulted, there's no reason to ban with the off topic reason. We are taking about our feeling about the missing update right? not off topic. Of course there's bigger problems in this life, we are some lucky bastards losing some time having a chat about a product we love (or used to) and I guess Fitbit people should be proud that there's people talking with passion (and being disappointed is a way to show some love) about this silly argument and consider this for the next release. btw just to be on topic, not updated yet lol
Best Answer

I don't think they are Liars, I think they are illinformed.  The folks running the forums are most likely not the folks rolling out the software or even have insight into that side of the business.  I would hope they are inquiring though, but being on the rollout of many peices of software there is usually a disconnect between the front line supports and the folks doing the rollout.  I will be honest, I am impatient and if my staff of coders knew I was being this way I would get slapped.  I am also human and I am excited for these features.  So I will continue to be a kid before Christmas, trying to stay positive but constaly checking my phone.  Be patient folks.  The @AndrewFitbit of the world are doing their job.  We now must do ours and wait.  Like it or not, complain or not.  Your comments and frustration are not going to make Fitbit move faster.  Yes you can provide them feedback, constructively.  They can use it for the next release but it will do not thing to change this one.  The plan is in motion, only a fatal error Init5 will cause it to stop. 

Good customer service is solving the customer's problem. Great customer service is making sure it never happens again.
Best Answer

I would just like to say that I don't post often here because the anger and ugliness is very hard to take.  We have a great product and perhaps instead of posting all the anger and vitriol here, you should be out there working out your anger using the great tool Fitblt has provided.  Chill, everyone.

Best Answer

@oBoy wrote:
Yo.

Two things. First of all, I remember a certain mod on a certain thread saying certain things, that sounded kinda like "We start the update progress in 5% increments, and then those increments get bigger as we gain confidence in the soundness of the firmware... or something."

Total paraphrase. I don't even remember which thread Inheard it on, but it certainly was there.

Second: Let's practice delayed gratification so that we aren't accused of being first-world toddlers. I mean, I'm just as ticked off as the next guy, and I think Fitbit could have handled it much better on all counts, but I also believe that we're kinda ridiculously blessed and even spoiled to have 200 bucks to drop on a watch, and even though these features are being advertised by Fitbit already, well, just chill out. It's coming. I completely disagree with Fitbit for advertising before we have the features, but they are coming. Why are we complaining?

Let's not be so materialistic. Don't live up to the stereotype.

They have obvious practical reasons not to roll it out in one big wave. It's not necessarily server bandwidth. Although that's certainly part of it.

Yes yes yes.  "My $200 toy is not 100% accurate", "where is my free icecream".  I agree with oBoy that Fitbit screwed this up many many ways, but unless it bricks your Blaze, there is nothing wrong with it the way it is, just chill for a bit.

Best Answer

has to be one of the slowest, most ineffctive rollouts i've ever seen.  "Luckily" by 3rd Blaze had to be returned to guess i can wait until another replacement comes to see an update.

Best Answer

very disappointed on how fitbit is handling this update. Always been a fitbit loyal customer but now I'm having second thoughts. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am thinking they stopped the update due to too many issues. I can see the button for update, but nothing starts when I press it. 

Having worked in hardware/software support, I understand the slow rollouts.  That way they have the capacity to deal with issues that come up as they come up.  A big bang approach could leave too many users without a working device for too long, while they try to make fixes. It is a lot easier to wait to have them get it right, than to wait because they got it wrong and rolled it out to everyone. 

Best Answer

Well said and entirely true.

Best Answer

Hey everyone - just a reminder that the update is continuing its rollout. In case you're new to the conversation, we release new updates progressively - that means that if you don't currently have it, you will have it soon. This is how all of our updates are always released, and it helps ensure that everyone has the best experience with their device.

I know that everyone is anxious to receive the update, and that it's challenging to patiently wait. We're excited to get it delivered to all of you, and don't expect you'll be waiting much longer. Please remember to post appropriately in this thread, and follow the Community Guidelines.

Best Answer

@MatthewFitbit  - Do you know when the current completion date is?  At least this way we have expected date by when should have it.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

@kenlpeters We don't announce dates in advance. The whole point of the progressive rollout is to watch for unexpected issues - if something like that happens, the timeframe changes and any dates we've announced will no longer be accurate.

We started the update last week, and backed off when we discovered an issue. We've now reinitiated it, and expect to steadily increase the release if no further issues are discovered.

Best Answer
@mathewfitbit and @AndrewFitbit I think we would all be better (at least I know I would be) if we understood rollout will be complete by 10/10 or 10/1 or 9/30. Any date even a rough estimate. The verbiage being used of "soon" is probably making people more anxious as opposed to calm because "soon" means different things to most people. "Soon" feels like keep checking you app a few times a day. If you want people to change their behavior then the expectation needs to be set appropriately. It would be very hard for people to act out if Fitbit says the rollout starts 9/22 and will be done by 10/7. No one could complain if it's todsy and don't have it. They know it's until hat date that it could happen. "Soon" and "wait patiently" makes people feel like it's happening in a few hours vs a few days or longer. It causes people to constantly check and each time they do check and there is nothing that makes the anxiety level go up (right, wrong, or indifferent).
Best Answer

I agree with @GeoGio who said it perfectly. 

I've read news posts and fitbit say the update is out. It's not out if you're rolling it out. This is what is causing a commotion. Fitibt has a timescale, I think it would help people to share it.

Fitbit can't be bothered to fix a big bug that takes minutes and lasted years
Best Answer
0 Votes

@MatthewFitbit wrote:

Hey everyone - just a reminder that the update is continuing its rollout. In case you're new to the conversation, we release new updates progressively - that means that if you don't currently have it, you will have it soon. This is how all of our updates are always released, and it helps ensure that everyone has the best experience with their device.

I know that everyone is anxious to receive the update, and that it's challenging to patiently wait. We're excited to get it delivered to all of you, and don't expect you'll be waiting much longer. Please remember to post appropriately in this thread, and follow the Community Guidelines.

you should consider giving out some t-shirts for free "keep calm and wait for your blaze update" Smiley LOL just kidding... I broke my rules to stop talking here... thx for the update

Best Answer

@GeoGio - I would like piggy back off that.  It would be nice to know that when they add the next group of folks.  Meaning as an Apple Developer, I know that new releases get delivered at 1pm est or 4pm est.  If the release did come out at that time then I know it is not coming today.  I am assuming there are deployment groups and those groups are scheduled around support availability.  For example the groups are scheduled for 1pm, 3 pm, and 5pm.  If you were not included in one of those groups, check tomorrow.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

@GeoGio @SunriseRun1250 Thanks for the feedback - I understand where you're coming from. As I mentioned above, we deliberately do not provide expected timeframes due to the possibility for those timeframes to shift. If we had promised a date when we first released the update last week, we would have had to go back on that promise when the issues were discovered.

That being said, we'll definitely be reassessing how we announce updates in the future, based on the commentary we've seen in this forum over the past week.

Best Answer

Thank @MatthewFitbit - we appreciate any and all communication you can share with us. 

Best Answer