Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connected GPS failure

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.
I walked Bloomday a 7.5 mile race today. I used the exercise "walk" connected GPS feature. It only tracked 6.8 miles and the map is missing a large stretch. Not sure why this happened. Really sucks.
Best Answer
156 REPLIES 156

@Arifyusof wrote:

Regarding this issue I think it's a phone compatibility problem with blaze. I was using a Xiaomi note 3 (Qualcomm) and had no issues with the blaze, 100% tracked. Last two days I started using a Samsung j7 phone and I'm having your issues where the workout is getting cut off. So far I'm 2/2 failure officially. 

Seems plausible, but some people are getting in on iPhone as well as android so I'm not sure its clear-cut.

Maybe Bluetooth LE is just a bit susceptible to interference and drop-outs. Connected GPS may be more stable if it used Bluetooth classic, but that isn't an option.

Support are replacing my Blaze for a new model, but I dont believe that will make any difference. 

No longer a fitbit device user
Best Answer
0 Votes
Yes this is not a phone device issue for sure as it is happening on
multiple operating systems and device generations. A brand new phone that
says it's compatible with Fitbit connected GPS should never have an issue
like this if the other apps can keep a signal then Fitbit should too.
Not sure what next steps from support will be for my open ticket but hoping
something will happen with a software code change
Charge HR (retired) - Blaze - iPhone XR
Best Answer
0 Votes

As I have mentioned previously, I am starting think that my "Tile" key finder app is at least contributing to this issue.  Its certainly not clear-cut, so I cant be sure, but I do know that on the default settings, the tile app will use Bluetooth in the background to try and locate your tile keyfob, and also any other tiles from other tile users. This constant polling for devices may be contributing to the issue, but I'm not sure. 

I have set the tile app to not look for tiles when the app isn't running, and it seems to be much better. I have also set location services (Android / Google Nexus 5x) to stop using Bluetooth and WiFi to provide location. I have set it to "Device only" which is GPS only. No Wifi, cellular or Bluetooth is used. It complains that this isnt the most accurate setting, but I always find this annoying, as surely outdoors, pure GPS is the best possible way of getting location accurate?  I understand that indoors with poor or no GPS lock, it is required to gain at least an approximate location.

All these services trying to use the Bluetooth stack on the phone cannot be ideal. I think its all a limitation of Bluetooth LE. Im sure bluetooth classic would be more robust. 

I just mention all this in case anybody else has any of the "smart" key finders, or any other apps using the Bluetooth service unnecessarily 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Agreed. However we may want to see why it works flawlessly with the xiaomi. Is there some connectivity software that is optimized better? 

With the xiaomi the blaze can show disconnected but the tracking is still spot on when you ends the workout. I only do cycling and apart from commuting, I do mountain biking in the forests with no issues.

With the Samsung however riding to work in wide open areas and highways gets cut off. My office is not in the city centre with a lot of tall buildings. 

I'll try again but my off-road rides will definitely use my surge until I get the blaze to work. I'll consider checking with Samsung too.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@mvan231There are many issues being posted and I'm one of the lucky ones because I have a Mobile 4GX tower in "line of sight", 170 m (185 yds) as per Google Earth from my front door and most of my walking is in a 1 km (1,100 yds) radius and no tall buildings..Smiley Happy Maybe not lucky, if the scientists come out in generations to come and say that the "signals" have affected us.

I have used my Blaze, MapMyRun and Polar Beat, all using phone connected GPS and have no plotting issues. In saying that, MapMyRun last night, as I started walk, the plot jumped over next doors house, over the next and then back again. about 100m.. Otherwise taking that into account the walk was perfect.

I use my Surge with Integrated GPS to check against the other devices and I'm happy with its accuracy..

But, I have only had success in plotting the route since I upgraded my Android Phone to the Sony Xperia XP Android V7.0 (not on the compatibility list). My earlier phone, the Sony Xperia Z1 (on the list), with Android V4 and V5 was like Superman...and jump over high buildings and swimming pools. Also I had every syncing issue reported by users early last year. All is now working re the App...

I won't enter into the Blaze distance issues, and I will post comments when Fitbit release the expected firmware update if that doesn't corrects some issues. Of course if those "bugs" are released.

Colin:Victoria, Australia
Ionic (OS 4.2.1, 27.72.1.15), Android App 3.45.1, Premium, Phone Sony Xperia XA2, Android 9.0
Best Answer
0 Votes

@GarethDPhillipsJust got your post... and I will take your suggestion on because I was thinking of purchasing the key finder, mainly for for my wife to find the Panasonic phones in our house...

I used to have those issues with my earlier Sony phone and since upgrading the phone I walk with two x Bluetooth hearing aids, and the other night I used my HRV Elite with a Polar H7 strap plotting my Variable Heart Rate (HRV), while the Blaze was using Connected GPS. no issues with the Blaze plotting a symmetrical plot and no dropouts.  Also have my Fitbit One.

Smiley Happy Late last year I lost one of my hearing aids in the garden.. Fortunately it had a new battery and I used the Bluetooth Finder App on the phone to find it. It homed in on about a 7ft (2m) radius and I found it, phew $4,500 worth but insured..  Smiley Happy I'm a very Senior Senior..

So in summing up there are 5 Bluetooth devices while I'm walking and the Fitbit One syncs through our house from about 50 ft..

So the more we can input in the forums the better ours and Fitbit's outcomes will be..

Ionic (OS 4.2.1, 27.72.1.15), Android App 3.45.1, Premium, Phone Sony Xperia XA2, Android 9.0
Best Answer
0 Votes
I haven't had an issue with walking and GPS loss as of recent. But when
running is the issue.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Maybe a grace from the Fitbit gods. 

Not sure if this will address issues with connected GPS though. We will see. 

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/iOS-App/iOS-App-Version-2-33-is-now-available-3-3-17/td-p/1444784

Best Answer
0 Votes

How is everybody getting on?

I have managed to track 3 or 4 runs with 100% reliability since I stopped my "Tile" key-finder app from looking for tiles constantly in the background. This is really positive. 

I have been using wired headphones whilst trying to troubleshoot this problem, so I am now tempted to go back to Bluetooth to see if I can sill track runs reliably. I am happy with the current reliability, but if I can use Bluetooth headphones rather than wired, that would be even better. 

One of the many things I also tried in my troubleshooting was to turn OFF all day sync and always connected in the Fit bit app, so at some stage I need to turn that back on and see if it makes a difference. My rationale was that if the Blaze syncs periodically during a run, that extra load on the Bluetooth connection cannot be helpful.  

I'm increasingly sure that my issue was the Tile app, but it will be interesting to hear if anybody has any success in stopping the Blaze from auto syncing whilst running. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Hi There,
I haven't had much success lately but since they push the recent ios app
update I haven't been on a run. Hoping to tomorrow. I don't use all day
sync normally though.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Yet another disconnected run today

Best Answer
0 Votes

here is the latest response from fitbit support:

"Hi Mark,

Thank you for checking in with us in regard to your ConnectedGPS logged runs. We apologize for the delay in our response. 

While reviewing your case, we noticed that you may be using both the Fitbit app and Strava at the same time.

As you know, other software can interpret GPS data differently which can cause the calculations to be slightly different than what’s shown on Fitbit. For the most consistent experience and to ensure that there is no interference between the apps, its best to use only one of the applications for keeping track of your GPS data. At this time, we kindly ask that you log a ConnectedGPS run with only the Fitbit app running to see your experience improves.

We hope this helps. Let us know if you have additional questions.

Sincerely,

Danny L and the Fitbit Team"

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm on a xiaomi redmi note 4 now. All issues are gone. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
I ran today with no issue. But had the run exercise open on blaze for a
good 5-10 minutes before I went. Fitbit has stated they are sending me a
new blaze pebble to see if it resolves the issue.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I ran again today and had disconnection issues again. I'm hoping the replacement yields some good results. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I got the replacement pebble today and still having issues with disconnection. Clear skies tonight too

Best Answer
0 Votes

@mvan231I'm a person who goes back to 1st principles when we have these issues. I realise it is basic but that's the way I problem solve technological issues.

With Connected GPS I break the problem intro separate test cases.

1. The first is to use MapMyRun, which eliminates the Bluetooth and the Blaze on street tracking which makes it easier to compare the Google pedometer. No hiking etc.

2. Then use Google http://www.mappedometer.com/ and compare.

3. If those results are acceptable it shows me that I'm getting a decent link to the mobile phone system, then to GPS

4. Then I reintroduce the Connected GPS Blaze Fitbit and examine those results

But before I do all of that, the obvious, ensure all of my firmware is up to date.

I also use Polar Beat with the Bluetooth chest strap and Connected GPS as my third party Bluetooth Connected GPS..

Last year, before I upgraded my phone with the latest Sony Android, (Smiley Happy the contract was due for renewal from my Telco provider).  I had every issue that Fitbit users were reporting and I blamed it on my environment.. I have had the Blaze for just over 12 months. Every Fitbit I had, had some issues, mainly syncing. The tracking on the Blaze was like Superman.. jumping over high buildings etc.

I received the new phone in October..and of course parallel to that, Fitbit release firmware and App upgrades, but I haven't looked back.. Perfect results for 5 months and have never missed a sync.  Probably a combination of all of that.

My environment hasn't changed, I'm in the same house with all of the electronic gear and here is the other nights Connected GPS.. A big but.... That walk is close to a mobile phone tower.

To check the mobile phone option I set the Blaze going from start to finish, while driving in the car to my local mall, a distance of about 3+ miles (5-km) and it tracked perfectly. The only distance recorded was my walking to the car and from the car after parking. This also tested that the only distance picked up after I set the exercise GPS was my walking to the car and from the car until I stopped the GPS.  Perfect tracking again..

All of these methods will help you establish where the errors appear and can help you with Fitbit Support.

Blaze mar13 tracking.jpg

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thanks. I understand how to problem solve and I've literally done it all.
I've run with Strava and connected GPS at the same time and Strava holds
strong while connected GPS drops signal for some reason. (Fitbit thinks
having two apps running with GPS could cause an issue so they had me stop
using Strava along side). However, that is not how the GPS chip in a phone
works. When it is activated it just collects the data however often the app
decides to. The GPS lock is controlled by the phone not the app. This isn't
a matter of losing signal or GPS lock at all though.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes you are correct, the Fitbit support staff (no disrespect, they are
trying to be helpful) will give totally different opinions to different
customers, they are only human. You should be able to run as many
applications using GPS services as you want on your phone, and any other
apps you try will work 100%, it is only ever fitibit connected GPS which is suffering
this problem as you say, if the fitbit
app tracks the activity that is fine, as are all other apps on the phone. The issue is definitely specific to connected GPS, and the data being sent from the phone to the blaze.  

I agree that this isnt, in most cases, a GPS signal lock issue. I believe
it is the bluetooth LE connection being interrupted between the tracker and
the phone. Its clearly got a weakness, whether it is in the Blaze or in the
mobile device bluetooth stack I do not know.

I found that having my phone bluetooth services used by my tile keyfinder
app contributed to this problem significantly. Now I have stopped the app
trying to locate my keys it has improved things a lot, but I still get
occasional drops in the connection, and these are not GPS signal loss, as
other apps can track my run fine. I could literally track it in 5 apps
flawlessly.

The whole connected GPS piece is the problem here, and only a Fitbit
developer or somebody in that specific area can really comment, they are
clearly not passing anything down to the frot line support people. Swapping
out units for new ones isnt going to help.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Definitely agree
Best Answer
0 Votes