Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using the driving activity to cancel out steps

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hi, I am trying to cancel out some steps by logging a driving activity.  This seems to be the recommended method of dealing with this issue.  The problem is that when add the activity it does not seem to remove the steps from my total.  

dash.JPG

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

FYI, Im trying to follow the steps outlined in This FAQ.

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Hi @Sk3y.0n3,

One thing that article doesn't mention, that I will, is how you enter the Driving activity.

If you just type Driving into the text box, it won't trigger the step removal.

You have to start by typing "Dr", then there should be a menu that pops up, where you can select Driving from the list.  Not sure why this is, but it's been verified this is the case.

Try that and let us know how it works. You might also be interested in the android/ios app called DriveBit, which let's you do all that from the app instead of having to fix it in the dashboard.

Hope this helps.

Work out...eat... sleep...repeat!
Dave | California

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
23 REPLIES 23

Hi @Sk3y.0n3,

One thing that article doesn't mention, that I will, is how you enter the Driving activity.

You have to start by typing "Dr", then there should be a menu that pops up, where you can select Driving from the list.  Not sure why this is, but it's been verified this is the case.

Try that and let us know how it works. You might also be interested in the android/ios app called DriveBit, which let's you do all that from the app instead of having to fix it in the dashboard.

Hope this helps.

Dave | California

Best Answer
0 Votes

@WavyDavey wrote:

Hi @Sk3y.0n3,

Hope this helps.

That did it.  i was able to use that to cancel out the steps that were counted while i was driving. 

Now only have one issue that i hope you also have an answer for.  When i first tried to enter the driving activity i typed in "Driving" and chose that activity.  It looks like i created a custom activity that is now always in that list.  How do i remove it?  There is the custom activity i accidentally created and the pre made one that i want to use. 

dash2.PNG

Hope someone can help me out with this last piece to the puzzle. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I don't think that's listing your custom Driving activity.

For some reason, whenever you start to type in an activity, two entries show up. Try typing "Spin", and you'll see two Spinning activities. All of them seem to do this, and either entry seems to work. I guess it's a quirk?

Dave | California

Best Answer
0 Votes

@WavyDavey wrote:

I don't think that's listing your custom Driving activity.

For some reason, whenever you start to type in an activity, two entries show up. Try typing "Spin", and you'll see two Spinning activities. All of them seem to do this, and either entry seems to work. I guess it's a quirk?

Thanks Wavy.  I am satisfied with your advice, but just FYI both of the driving entries are slightly different.  Check out the screenshot i attached.  I know that the uppermost(left image) entry was not canceling out my steps but the lower option for driving (right image) did do the job.  

driving.jpg

The difference IMO is the distance field.  I don't know why they have the same "name" but i believe they have two different functions. 

Hope this info helps u out in the future.  Thanks for your help figuring this out

Best Answer

I been tryi g to add driving but can't even log activity there is no log at top of dashboard could anyone help please 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Rachelfisher the manual log entry is found on the activities page. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Where do you add driving please? Iv tried in the fitbit app and looked on line but still I don't know where to go to do this. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I ended up finding and using this app to cancel out driving. 

If you want to enter the logs manually you need to add an exercise called Driving and add the begin and end time of you trip.  That should negate all steps taken withing those times. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I understand now, thanks for that. 

Best Answer

Hey wavy thanks for this - was able to cancel out the steps. However, it does not remove from the challenge of the week. Any idea how to deduct those steps from the challenge ? 

Already tried leaving and going back into the challenge. Seems like they have a lot of work to do on these challenges and adventures 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Nope I have no idea, the best course iIcan think of would be to get the request flooded with votes. At least 3000 would be nice, and will get the developers attention. 

Don't add drivingsteps to challenges

Best Answer

I would like to use the drivebit app but the google playstore only has a app called Travelbit which then requires a different app than FitBit to work. Any one know where I can get the Drivebit app from?

Best Answer
0 Votes

The developer of drivebit has removed it from the play store. 

When it come to travelbit, there is only the paid version now,  and it does not require any other app on your phone and only works with Fitbit. 

It does its magic directly through Fitbit's API communicating with the cloud server. 

Best Answer

This doesn't work at all with floors. It removes the calories burned, but not the floors and steps.

It adds 559 steps if I leave the kilometers/miles field blank, and 1288 steps if I enter 0.01 km.

floors.png

Best Answer
0 Votes

23 floors

floors23.png

Best Answer
0 Votes

When typing in Driving you need to tap on the word driving that pops up. 

It does work. 

Screenshot_20191130-113636_Fitbit.jpg

Without driving 6K steps 5 floors

Screenshot_20191130-113550_Fitbit.jpg

With driving added as an event. 432 steps 0 floors

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi All

Trued this work around and as of today it does not work any longer. Was there an update recently that messed this solution up? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I just tried it @Junkie0430, it still works. 

Screenshot_20200224-014528_Fitbit.jpg

Wednesday before. 

Screenshot_20200224-015014_Fitbit.jpg

Add Driving

Screenshot_20200224-014811_Fitbit.jpg

Wednesday after. Notice that all steps starting at 6am for 4 hours have been removed. 

Please note that you want to start typing the word Drive, when the popup shows

, tap on the popup with the word Driving. This will remove steps. 

Typing in the word driving and taping enter will create a new type of unknown event. 

This also works with Motorcycle. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Doesn’t work for me.

I do tap on the word “Driving” when it pops up.

I must be doing something else wrong.

In my GUI when I start typing “Driv...”, I get a dropdown with multiple “Driving” words and others I registered at some stage.

Is there a way to wipe out all those choices and start from scratch?

Best Answer
0 Votes