Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge 4 Stopped Working

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

My Charge 4 stopped dead after 17 months. The diagnostics advised by the support tech were no different from what I'd already tried from these forums. The tech was somewhat condescending in walking through the recommended troubleshooting steps. Insisted on performing steps already tried, and failed to listen to specific concerns (NO green sensor lights flashing as they should be) that might have suggested different steps. When these basic steps did not resolve, he said the matter would be sent up to a higher support level, but what actually happened is it went directly to the automated message "it's no longer under warranty, here's a 35% discount to buy a new one". It feels to me like (even though it was no longer under warranty) complete failure within 17 months of purchase is unacceptable, particularly when it seemed like more targeted effort could have been made to resolve the issue. I suspect had I still been within 12 months (where a failure would have meant a complete replacement), a greater effort to get it running again would have been expended.

From reviewing others' experiences in the forums, this seems to be less helpful than is the norm for Fitbit. When I followed up with this message - within 24 hours - I received another automated reply that my case  had been closed, since "it's been a long time since we heard from you".

Beware, the advice to 'contact tech support' might just get you more automated messages than actual support!

Moderator edit:  updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
67 REPLIES 67

I just came here because mine stopped working also at 17 months today!! That’s very strange. No lights on back or anything. Is that the life span - 17 months?? I will be opening a case also. 

Best Answer

Exact same experience with device- didn’t even bother with help desk because now I see that all reviews say to expect it to last only this long. That was a short life. Didn’t know I was buying a disposable watch. 

Best Answer
Hope you have better luck koko! Share your results here if you would? I'm
interested to see if any different.

<>
Virus-free.
www.avg.com
<>
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>
Best Answer

Koko- and mine stopped two days ago. Starting to sound like a timed expiration. I’ve done all cleaning, charging, etc. No revival so far. 

Best Answer

My story is worse. I got mine on April 14 of this year. It died completely yesterday. Very disappointed.

Best Answer
0 Votes

CO2 that IS the pits. But I think you can get a free replacement since you're within 12 months. You will have to contact customer service, let them walk you through the steps you've likely already done, and then they should offer to replace for you. Maybe yours is a one-off case?! (Or, based on the rest of us, perhaps four-off?!)

BYB, you've done the same steps as I have. Sorry bro. Nada so far for me too. Please advise if anything works?

Best Answer

I got the 35% discount but they don’t sell the charge 4 anymore. It’s been discontinued!! I have multiple bands for mine so idk what I’ll do.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Was yours about same age also? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Just about the same. November 2020. No Charge 4 anymore - Charge 5 is the closest, but pricier. Yeah I got a lotta extra bands for the 4 that won't fit the 5 either! Still haven't decided whether to buy another with the discount or simply look elsewhere.

Best Answer

Mine suddenly stopped working on 6/4 as well. I've had no issues with it at all. I took it off to go to a dress up event Saturday night. Came home and put it back on. By morning it was blank screen. I get the haptic feedback but a blank screen. 

I was about to contact customer service but your results sound very disheartening. 😕

Best Answer

Ugh, my condolences everyone. Here is my decision:

A couple weeks back my FitBit threw a fit.

Was working OK, and then suddenly quit.

I said OK, fine,

We’ll call the help line.

They said “Need a fix? This is it”:

The steps they suggested, I’d seen ‘em before.

The same ones were listed right there on the for(um).

In Indian English he finally said

“So sorry my friend, but your FitBit is dead.”

What next, you might ask? Not surprising to hear

The warranty covered for only a year.

Five months beyond that, what might help me to heal?

Fear not, loyal readers: they’ve offered a deal.

They’ll give me a discount on any device.

One that is better, or one not as nice.

Thirty-five percent is the number they gave,

Hoping this user perhaps could be saved.

Yet with other folks having this problem I hear,

To shell out more bucks for a new one, I fear

Would likely just double

My chances for trouble.

So: clear of FitBit I must steer.

Best Answer

I want to ask everyone this, if you plug your Fitbit into the charger does it come on at all? I cleaned it with alcohol first and then put on charger. I actually got mine to charge but unfortunately at 100% it lasted 40 minutes barely. 

Best Answer

I am definitely not getting the charge 5. I will switch to another brand before I buy another Fitbit. If they offered me the charge 4 at a discount I would take it but they’re telling me it’s not available. They only have them for people who are under warranty.

------------

Meant to say have you tried leaving it on the charger all night long?

Best Answer

same issue here, Fitbit charge 4 stops working after around 16 months. First, battery would die after a few hours (previously was around a week). 

Now the device barely turns the screen on for the smiley face, mostly just vibrates and stays black.

Avoid Fitbit.

Best Answer

Helllloooooo FITBIT - are you reading this thread? Turns out people aren’t loyal to a brand that breaks after 16 months. That’s a pretty short life and you are losing customers. 

Best Answer

Mine appears to be total failure at 17 months, went from operating fine to nothing while out for a walk (details provided in my separate post).  Only sign of life is when on charger (now been on for days straight) and i do a device reset i get a long vibrate followed by a short pulse vibrate then the smile shows on display monmentarily.  For a short time after disconnecting charge also get a vibrate with the button until battery quickly fades away.  Can't determine much else because NO other displays or data or sync or any functionality! 

Haven't tried direct support-seems fruitless based on these threads, and will NOT go with another fitbit based again on the lack of quality demonstrated in my own and other's experiences.

Best Answer

Mine did the exact same thing today!!! 

Best Answer

My Charge 4 quit at 17 months as well on June 3rd. The app on my phone still gives me 5431 steps every day; strange as there is nothing to sync to.  I ordered a Charge 5, I have an order number but no confirmation email. The service from Fitbit is disheartening and I have been a customer since 2014.  

Best Answer
That’s about how long I’ve had mine.. will not charge the screen powered on for a second and does the smile face saying it’s charged but that is the extent of it. Stays black, no time no steps:(

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer