Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Introducing Charge 5 Firmware Release - Version 1.171.50

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

We’re excited to announce that a firmware update for Charge 5. Some of you might already have this update available. If you installed it, let us know what you think!

We release updates to customers in phases. If you don’t see it, check the Fitbit app in a few days, and you’ll see a message when you can install the update. We appreciate your patience while we get this update to all of our customers. 

WHAT’S NEW AND FIXED

See What's changed in the latest Fitbit device update? for release notes.

HOW DO I UPDATE?

See How do I update my Fitbit device? for step-by-step instructions for updating your Charge 5. If you run into difficulty updating, see Why can't I update my Fitbit device?

We’re interested in hearing your feedback on this update! Let us know what you like! If you encounter unexpected behavior during or after your update, please post the details below.

Best Answer
1,125 REPLIES 1,125
Try disconnecting the Fitbit from your phone's Bluetooth settings. Then let
the Fitbit totally run out of battery. Once the Fitbit is dead, put it on
the charger and tap the circle at the USB end of the charging wire three
times. Now add the Fitbit to the device using the Fitbit app.
Best Answer
I've heard similar story after talking to Fitbit support several times. As
a techie I believe the problem is they've provided too many features which
drain the battery and perhaps killed the life of the battery. I would
recommend to anyone who is new to Fitbit not to set up all the features. If
you really need to use some of these features like the EKG of ETC. Install
it and uninstall it as needed. However, don't keep it on. Or pick out one
or two features which supports your needs the most and only use those. Make
sure to use the GPS from the phone and not the Fitbits internal GPS. I also
recommend turning off all notifications unless you really need them.
Best Answer

I'm a technique and do not give up on trying to fix my broken devices. Finally, I discovered a way to get out of the display logo glitch. It's disappointing that the support that Google Fitbit provides couldn't help me and told me the phone was broken and needed to be replaced. 

Here is what I did to unlock my Fitbit charge 5 from being stuck in the logo mode. First, I left the battery of the watch. Totally drain. Then I put it on the charger and tapped the circle on the USB end of the charging cord three times. My surprise the Fitbit responded and showed the battery charging. I was able to then access my Fitbit. However, the battery is still losing its charge way too fast for a product that is only 9 months old. When paying almost $200 for a quality product, I expect the battery to last approximately 3 years. Of course, I don't expect the battery to be performing at its best by that time. However, after 9 months I don't expect a battery to have to be recharged several times a day to use the product.

Best Answer

When you say "disconect from the bluetooth settings" do you mean to UNPAIR the device? Also by "Add the fitbit to the device" do you mean pair the fitbit with the phone? in our context, the fitbit is the device, not the phone.

Best Answer

Appreciate the innovative idea, but no point to buy a charge 5 but then we have to uninstall all the features. Besides, i dont think EDA and ECG will be the main reason as we all have to manually use it (unlike other brands). 

Its clearly something wrong with fitbit and should be them to fix it but not us to adjust our behavior. 

i was using version 149 and the battery was just fine with all features added in the device. Got no luck (or good news) of updating the charge 5 yet. 

Long term fitbit user since Flex. Some behaviors are rude.
Best Answer
Yes, I mean to unpair from the phone then to compared to the phone by using
the Fitbit app
Best Answer

There is something catastrophically wrong with my Fitbit after installing the firmware update. This is beyond changing settings or switching off individual features to optimize battery usage. The battery used to last a whole week, with no features turned off and with me using its internal GPS. The battery now plummets from 100% to zero in under an hour, and it perceptibly heats up while it’s doing this.  I’m convinced nothing will fix this short of rolling back the firmware update or releasing a new version to fix whatever they broke. To keep recharging it now and fiddling around with different settings just seems to risk frying the device completely. 

i did contact customer support directly. They generated a case number and said they would be in touch by email, but I’ve yet to hear back from them.  I’m becoming less hopeful that this will be resolved. 

Best Answer
It seems this is the reply they are giving to all of us
Best Answer

Fitbit says the new update suppose to fix the battery drain, but now it seems that there are more of us suffering from it. 

Long term fitbit user since Flex. Some behaviors are rude.
Best Answer

Curious as to why the Charge 5 would need a firmware upgrade to see and use additional Clock faces?  

My Charge 5 has not yet received the Firmware Upgrade 1.171.50.  I did Clear the User data and Cache on the Fitbit Android app, restarted my phone and logged into my Fitbit account.  However, I still only see the original 24 Clock faces.

Thanks...

Best Answer
Done this 2x with customer service. we went through all the steps and have
it all documented. Still waiting for the email they said they would send. I
was told 24 hrs on friday. Im gonna wait till monday. Maybe they meant 24
business hrs.
Best Answer

I am going to try not to update because my FB works perfectly for me and has since I got it last September. This is crazy.

The new clock faces will only come with the update.

Best Answer

I have the update and no new clock faces. Tried everything outlined earlier. So you are not missing much.

Best Answer

An update: 

I did get an email back from customer support after about 24 hours. After providing them some more details and a few photos of my Charge 5 they agreed to replace it. I’m just waiting for a shipping label now. I hope the rest of you get resolution also. 

Best Answer

The public is expected to beta test everything now. Remember when Apple released a new version of iOS that bricked all the iPads? Same thing going on here. Disgraceful.

I am not updating my app or firmware or anything. My Charge 5 works perfectly and I'm not willing to trash it for clock faces and a crummy spO2 display that still has unlabeled axes.

It could be that they will force it on me somehow but with the way I use my phone and device maybe not. Phone bluetooth and WiFi are never on unless I am synching the FB. I have an update of the app available but am not installing it.

I will wait for some indication from users that this has been fixed for everybody and not just case by case. I am taking a hard line. If my FB ends up bricked I will trash it and not have anything more to do with this company. Life is too short to fight over what is essentially an expensive toy. FB has a history of promising flashy gear but the programmers and engineers can't deliver on the promises.

Best Answer

It's likelier that the update causes an infinite loop that the charger can't overcome. The reports of heating batteries would indicate that this is the case. I believe all the cases of extremely fast battery depletion are due to looping.

Best Answer

Watch has updated. No new watch faces. Logged out of app and forced close. Uninstall and reinstalled but still not there. Advisor says it shows on their side that new faces are present but they aren't.

Best Answer

Hello @FitbitCommunity @DavideFitbit (as it appears you're active in this forum section),

Users who got the update are stating that, contrarily to the changelog, no new clock faces are available. Can you please verify what's going on? Thanks

Formerly Giampi71 - Retired from Fitbit for good on November 13th 2023
Best Answer

I also received an email stating that they will replace my fitbit after sending them a video of it.  I expressed concern that it might also be exposed to a firmwear update that would destroy it.  The response suggested that they are working on a new firmware update.  Let's hope that this is released only after it's fully tested and very soon. I will avoid any future updates until I hear that they are working as expected

Best Answer

I don't see any new clock faces?

Best Answer