Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Introducing Charge 5 Firmware Release - Version 1.171.50

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

We’re excited to announce that a firmware update for Charge 5. Some of you might already have this update available. If you installed it, let us know what you think!

We release updates to customers in phases. If you don’t see it, check the Fitbit app in a few days, and you’ll see a message when you can install the update. We appreciate your patience while we get this update to all of our customers. 

WHAT’S NEW AND FIXED

See What's changed in the latest Fitbit device update? for release notes.

HOW DO I UPDATE?

See How do I update my Fitbit device? for step-by-step instructions for updating your Charge 5. If you run into difficulty updating, see Why can't I update my Fitbit device?

We’re interested in hearing your feedback on this update! Let us know what you like! If you encounter unexpected behavior during or after your update, please post the details below.

Best Answer
1,125 REPLIES 1,125

@cfsFit great , lets wait for it then. I anyways keep checking the old band which is synced with my test account to see if a new update gets pushed. I am still hopeful that a new update will come through and resolve the battery issues on my old band. 🙂

Best Answer

Those that are having issue try performing a hard reset using the data cable referenced here: https://help.fitbit.com/manuals/charge_5/Content/manuals/html/Update,%20Restart,%20and%20Erase.htm

Also prior to any update for any device make sure the smartphone is up to date, then the Fitbit t app is up to date, restart both the device and smartphone and make sure any connecting Bluetooth devices (other than the Fitbit) are off & disconnected from the smartphone. Then proceed with an update. This is just good way to reduce interference of a firmware installation for anything. Basically reduce the number of variables.

Those who have already had a negative experience with the current firmware maybe consider sharing info like smartphone OS with full version detail and Fitbit app version. This info could help the devs localize issues. 

Splat Matt
Want to be a fitbit power user? More Info
Not getting notifications on your fitbit? Help Here

Best Answer
There was no date available for release of the next firmware update.
Best Answer
0 Votes
I’m waiting too
Best Answer
0 Votes

I purchased Fitbit Charge 5 on Amazon Italy the first days of November, after a diagnosis of atrial fibrillation, to keep track of beats and heart rate. I immediately updated the firmware to 1.171.50, when I read about this option in the settings, and... everything went well. I had no issues and the battery lasts about 5 days.

Best Answer

@Trystero Mine was fine for about three months after the upgrade. And then suddenly one evening in November it started behaving strange and then it switched off. Which was why I questioned if the two occurrences were even related. However, the issues were the same as with everyone else reporting here.
Fingers crossed for yours, (hopefully) it does not happen to everyone! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Exactly what happened to me also

Best Answer
0 Votes
Nailed it
Best Answer
0 Votes

I had been afraid to update because my battery lasted quite well and I was afraid of breaking it.

My battery started to drain faster than usual about a week ago and I had to keep charging it.  It also would suspiciously reach 100% quite easily (it always used to stop at 99% before).  I would sync it and within a minute it was already down to 96%.  I spent a really stressful time worrying it would die during the night.

Mine died yesterday after having it for just over a year.  I even tried to do the update, but it was completely dead! Customer service were very sympathetic and sent me a 35% off voucher for their online shop.  I can't fault them at all.  However, I couldn't wait to get a replacement as I'm hooked on my stats.

I absolutely love my new one!  I have a clock face with all of my stats on it.  I went for a jog and the screen displayed the time, elapsed time, heart rate, heart rate zone, distance and pace all on ONE screen!  No scrolling or messing about necessary! The GPS worked perfectly and I have a completely accurate map.  I can even send a replay of my route to people if I like.  I had a VO2 score as well!

I'm actually grateful mine did die now as I've had to try an alternative and it's a much better fit for me personally.  I hope the update improves everyone's experiences for them and your battery life improves!

Best Answer
0 Votes
So if I read this correctly:

You are happy having to buy a new Fitbit at 65% of of the listed price due to a problem created by the manufacturer ??
Best Answer
Are you using a newly purchased charge 5?
Best Answer
0 Votes

Got a new Fitbit charge 5. Updated and happy with everything. Although why does the relax app not install?

Best Answer

Got firmware update188.58 today but it's not listed yet on the recent firmware page? 

Best Answer

For the Charge 5 ?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hey everyone!

First off, I wanted to thank you all for your participation in this thread. Secondly, since the majority of Charge 5 users have reported successfully updating to firmware update (1.171.50), I am closing this thread. If you still have not updated your Charge 5, check out this link  for some best practices on how to update your device.

If you are experiencing an issue with your Charge 5 unrelated to the firmware-up process, I invite you to start a new topic on the community or find a related topic.

Thanks again for all your feedback and contributions on this thread.

Best Answer

FitBit says people are successfully updating their watches to firmware Version 1.171.50 with no issue(s).

Hence after six months , over a 1000 messages over 56 pages they are closing down that community topic.

What say you ??

Have you successfully updated the firmware without issue ??

(PS I think I already know the answer)

Best Answer

@SteveCDN  Are you a professional pollster? Well, I suppose probably not if you are saying you already know the answer to your polling question.

Before posting, re-read to see if it would make sense to someone else not looking at your Fitbit or phone.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Johnny... do you work for Fitbit ??

Do you even own a Charge 5 ??

Best Answer
0 Votes

I upgraded and experienced most of the problems other users identified.

After deleting all the apps I could to conserve battery power, my Charge 5 will run for approximately 2 hours.

I would love to install the original software to see how if my Charge 5 would not consume the battery charge as quickly.

I have been waiting to see if they plan on releasing another software revision.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I was one of the people whose Charge 5 was destroyed after applying firmware update 1. 171.50.  I received a replacement Charge 5 and have not updated the firmware because I was still seeing reports of results similar to the ones that I experienced up to the present.  I am shocked that someone shut down the thread, because the problems are not resolved.  I heard recently from a Fitbit support supervisor that there is work on an update to fix the issues; I believe that the number is 1.183... based on a posting by someone who received that version in a replacement Charge 5, although the version has not been released.  I was told that we would be notified when it was released.  That will be difficult to do if the thread is shut down.  Please do not shut down the thread until the release to fix the previous firmware update issues is thoroughly tested and released, and has been proven to work by those of us who experienced issues with 1.171.50.

Best Answer
0 Votes