Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Introducing Charge 5 Firmware Release - Version 1.171.50

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

We’re excited to announce that a firmware update for Charge 5. Some of you might already have this update available. If you installed it, let us know what you think!

We release updates to customers in phases. If you don’t see it, check the Fitbit app in a few days, and you’ll see a message when you can install the update. We appreciate your patience while we get this update to all of our customers. 

WHAT’S NEW AND FIXED

See What's changed in the latest Fitbit device update? for release notes.

HOW DO I UPDATE?

See How do I update my Fitbit device? for step-by-step instructions for updating your Charge 5. If you run into difficulty updating, see Why can't I update my Fitbit device?

We’re interested in hearing your feedback on this update! Let us know what you like! If you encounter unexpected behavior during or after your update, please post the details below.

Best Answer
1,125 REPLIES 1,125

I had started the update before I realized there were problems with it.  Now it's seems to be in a loop where I can't stop the update or sync anything. It hasn't updated anything since Sunday, July 24.   

Best Answer
0 Votes

Plug your fitbit into the charger, and press the black button on the charging cable 3 times, waiting a second between each press.

If that doesn't restart your fitbit and get it out of the loop, try letting the battery drain completely.  Then plug the fitbit into the charger and let it charge fully.  Then try pressing the button on the charger 3 times, waiting 1 second betweeen each press.  This should result in the fitbit restarting.  Don't know whether this will let you get back to the firmware before the update or not.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

There are no new watch faces

Best Answer

Dear Davide, @DavideFitbit 

I installed the updated based on the claim for additional watch faces. I am used to a huge choice of watch faces on my other device from another brand.

After 12 hours, I can't comment much on battery life. It lost approx. 13% in 14 hours, which is probably worse than it used to be, but not dramatically worse.

But I definitely can't see new watch faces. And several persons reported the same, even after applying your suggestions.

On the side of fitbit, we haven't seen any specific information. Nothing about the number of new watch faces to expect, no example of name, no example of layout. No feedback about a possible bug, which seems likely at this stage. Very disappointing.

Best Answer
0 Votes
that is wonderful news. They have finally realized something is wrong and
are going to contact me. I'm hoping for some positive results. I loved my
fitbit before all this crap started on 18 July. I watch my stats all the
time and it is says zero zero. 😞

Let me know how it goes with the new one and any NEW firmware updates

Catwoman 777
Best Answer
0 Votes
Thanks. I will try. Tried everything else.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I have a feeling the moderators are laying low because they don't have any more official instructions from Fitbit to provide. 

However, sometimes the benefits of help communities are the members who explore the issue and share their results. Even if it's poor results, it's okay because Google and Fitbit keep an eye on the communities to learn from what's being shared. Hopefully we were all help them with solving the issue.

Best Answer
0 Votes
i kept working with the Twitter - Fitbit support. FINALLY -- I have a case
number and called. I now have a shipping label for a new one. We'll see
if it works.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I have spent all evening trying to install the updated firmware. I went all the way through got it installed with a success message and my Charge 5 never turned on. I did the "hinky" 3 pushes on the charger cord button and got the vibration, but no visual. I went back to the phone, restarted it and the message install updates reappeared. I've tried the change clock faces and still nothing. My Charge 5 has gone from bad to worse. I haven't had use of it for the past 2 weeks, Now it doesn't have a visual on the face nor green lights on the back! I am now even more disappointed because in order to find out my options I'd have had to create and send a video of the exact same issues I just spent 45 minutes on chat explaining. I find the support telling me "well it shows it has synced so it must be good." NO it isn't. Worse than I started. At least before the update I was able to charge, use it for the vey limited time it held a charge and start over. I am very disappointed with customer support. The Ionic got replaced recently, now it looks like all the upgrades won't be worth all the effort put in to it. An issue since Sept 2021 should not be this difficult to resolve!

------------

Same with no customer support worth speaking of.

------------

I was told to make a video for them to determine my options! Come on!

------------

At least you got that far. I don't want another Charge 5. I want credit for my 6 month old tracker to use towards an upgrade. Since 2014 I've never had so much trouble! very disappointing.

Best Answer

Hello, Just update the app. Watch is fine but mobile application is ruined. I cannot change the watch faces and unble to connect help desk via chat.  It crashed the app and re-started. Already reinstall the application, still the same 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have updated my Charge 5. Previously it did not sync as it should, Bluetooth did not work. After the update EVERYTHING works! It syncs fast! Bluetooth works! It has used 10% of the battery in 24 hours. FINALLY it's better than the Charge 4. 👍

Best Answer

Mine has done the same

Best Answer
0 Votes

This is what has happened to mine.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I don't want the update but now my Fitbit won't sync. It stupid to assume that we are all the same and want the changes these updates bring. I had no issues with my device till this update, now it's broken.  I DO NOT WANT TO UPDATE EVER. There is no way to undo an update so why would I take the risk of updating. Fitbit has a track record of firmware updates breaking devices and then only fixing ones still in warrenty. It's not worth it to me.

Best Answer

Since the update my fitbit has been glitchy, it's been popping up messages about adding a card to my wallet multiple times a day (and night!), and the battery drains about 5 times as fast as before.

This alone is enough reason for me to stop my fitbit premium. At the very least let us roll back to a previous firmware version so we have a way to stop these issues from occurring.

Best Answer

@Drew-The-Geek have you done the update or not? I'm not sure if we had the same problem, but I also received the update available notice yesterday morning, and without downloading the update, found that I couldn't sync my tracker to the app anymore. Like you, I don't want to risk installing the update.

I chatted with two customer service reps about both issues - not installing the update and the syncing problem. The first one wasn't very helpful. The second one assured me that the update won't download without me actually doing it, but they can't get rid of the banner offering it.

The syncing problem was resolved by force quitting the app, turning bluetooth off and on again (though it was already off), then restarting the app. Syncing worked again after that. 

To force quit the Fitbit app on your phone, open Settings  > Choose Apps > Choose the Fitbit app > Touch the Stop or Force Stop button.

Hope this helps.

Best Answer
0 Votes

The watch has NOT been updated. It's my watch, not FitBit's watch. It should be my choice and not be forced into something. I refuse to get an update that clearly breaks things. Sadly, it seems that not getting the update has the same result.

Einstein said: "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Every time any fitbit device has a problem is the same solution. Turn this off, clear this out, restart this. So I did the same thing they ask us all to do. I forced quit, killed Bluetooth, cleared cache, restarted watch. The thing synced fine till that update notification showed up. Now it's just stuck.  Ultimately the idea is to make all our devices forget everything and then somehow magically it will start working again. It's clear that this is an ongoing problem that has existed since fitbit released the first watch and something that has never actually been fixed.

Best Answer

@Drew-The-Geek it is your choice and according to what I was told by the second customer service rep, we don't have to install the update. Have you tried force quitting and restarting the Fitbit app? Mine is syncing properly now and I will just carry on as before.

Best Answer

battery life has gone to **ahem** after the update, your paying customers should not be beta testers for unstable features.

Best Answer

Hi,

I've tried all the above steps but still no new watch faces for me. 

Do I have a faulty device or is the update faulty?!

Best Answer