Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Introducing Charge 5 Firmware Release - Version 1.171.50

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

We’re excited to announce that a firmware update for Charge 5. Some of you might already have this update available. If you installed it, let us know what you think!

We release updates to customers in phases. If you don’t see it, check the Fitbit app in a few days, and you’ll see a message when you can install the update. We appreciate your patience while we get this update to all of our customers. 

WHAT’S NEW AND FIXED

See What's changed in the latest Fitbit device update? for release notes.

HOW DO I UPDATE?

See How do I update my Fitbit device? for step-by-step instructions for updating your Charge 5. If you run into difficulty updating, see Why can't I update my Fitbit device?

We’re interested in hearing your feedback on this update! Let us know what you like! If you encounter unexpected behavior during or after your update, please post the details below.

Best Answer
1,125 REPLIES 1,125
That was a very interesting video. Sounds like a pretty scientific comparison without influence from any of the manufacturers of the devices. It is apparent that the guy who made it knows what he is talking about and is smart enough to put all the numbers together and explain them to the rest of us in a way we can sort of understand. Now that I've watched the video I am happier that I have a FitBit Charge 5 but I probably couldn't say that if mine had the problems that some others have reported.

Thank you for posting the link to the video. I think it will benefit a lot of us in our searching for the best device to own and wear.

Bill
Best Answer
Perhaps you should look into Warranty replacement while you still can.

Bill
Best Answer
0 Votes

Mine did similarly. After trying a reset with the help of Fitbit support services, nothing helped and I was given a case number and told it would be escalated and I'd hear in a few days time. Then, the following morning ( today), I came down to find the Fitbit had suddenly sprung into life having left it on charge all night. Wow, great, I thought. It's a blessed miracle! My joy was short lived, however: the battery drains like a baby's nappy so I would need to charge it three or four times, plus overnight - useless! How does this issue get fixed?

Best Answer
Wow. That's just weird.

You may be on to something about some sqeunce of user actions triggering a problem. When they write software they try to anticipate everything that can go wrong and provide a way for the software to recognize and have a way out of every dead end error situation. If they miss one or more then the software gets stuck and that's when strange things happen or the device locks up. Like the old Windows Blue Screen of Death.

Perhaps a certain sequence of user actions leads to one of these unrecoverable errors but if that was the case you would think that restarting the device should correct the situation. Maybe the unrecoverable error causes the device to somehow overwrite its own software code with bad information so even a restart doesn't fix the problem.

Bill
Best Answer

Since sleep tracking is important to me , i researched the device with best sleep tracking and after watching this channel i bought fitbit charge 5 and using without any problem.

Best Answer

That's one of the reasons that I bought mine.  I hope yours continues to work as well as it is now.  I'd stay clear of this latest update for now though if you can.  Seems to have caused a lot of folks problems which haven't been resolved as yet.

Best Answer

Just a shame that your joy was short lived.  At least you have a case number so at some point they should be getting back to you with some resolution.  They say the squeaky wheel gets the attention so you might want to squeak a little from time to time to refresh your case. I would hope that they are feverishly working behind the scenes to figure out what is happening and why.  Maybe they have been overwhelmed with so many people who have the Charge 5 that is having problems right now.

Best Answer

@BillFit9 I certainly hope Fitbit is feverishly working behind the scenes to figure out what is happening and why. But I think some acknowledgment, a profuse apology and withdrawing the update from those who haven't yet installed it are all warranted. I wonder why Fitbit has not yet done any of these things? Very disappointing behaviour from a large company who has been in the fitness band space for so long.

Best Answer

Re: New Clock Faces

Fitbit tweeted about new clock faces for the Luxe and Charge 5 yesterday, and I responded that I had the latest firmware, but there were no new clock faces to be found in the gallery, and I asked when they would be available. They opened up a case for me, and I got this email from them today:

"Thanks for contacting our Social Media platform about the new clock faces for the Charge 5. We'll be glad to help.
We are still working on this update.
Once the update has been completed, you should be able to see this.
In the meantime, we suggest that you can check it from time to time.

We appreciate your patience."

Hopefully we won't need another new firmware update to see the new clock faces in the gallery when they become available.

Best Answer

Maybe the new clock faces will come with an app update. New firmware + new app = new clock faces? So we are 50% there :). Just guessing 

Best Answer
AGREED!
Best Answer

I'm excited to let you know that the new firmware made the battery drain for worst. Now my device is not able to hold charge for even a hour. This is super frustrating, I have done everything that you recommended to do and even more. Please, FIX THIS PROBLEM. 

And anyone reading this post and doubting on getting a Charge 5, please don't buy this model. I have been unable to use the charger since April. Go to another company and get something else, at least a company that has the will to honor their customers

Best Answer

My Charge 5 has once again started the fast battery drain issue. It went from 79% to zero while I was watching a movie. Might be time to dump Fitbit.

-----------

I wish I had never upgraded. Been nothing but a battery drain.

-----------

It went back to normal for awhile, but tonight it went from 79% to zero while I was at a movie! Looking at Apple watches now.

-----------
I don’t believe them.

“What would you do if I sang out of tune?”

Best Answer
Hang up and walk out the door!
Best Answer
0 Votes

I had the same issue, device became unresponsive after doing the latest update. Turns out, the update hadn't completed some of the apps. I stumbled across this and now my device is working again. Give this a try!

1.Go into your account

2. Click on device (Charge 5)

3. Click Gallery

4. Click Notifications

Mine said update incomplete (something like that) so I finished the update and now all good

Best Answer
Hey. Mine "seems" to be ok now too but I hate this.
Best Answer

I have same issue. I updated yesterday and today went for an exercise for the charge 5 to shutdown half way. I am sure I had enough power. Now there is no life in the unit. Connecting to charger doesn't help. The reset procedure either. When charging I notice the charge 5 becomes quite warm if not hot. 

Best Answer

Since the update, I've lost the ability to turn off notifications while exercising. I want to get call & text notifications, but not the incessant vibrations of when I'm in fat burn or cardio or whatever. It's very distracting while on a run or in the gym. Not to mention that it contributes to battery drain. The option to turn off these types of notifications under the exercise tab is not there anymore. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I’ve updated and it doesn’t last more than 6 hours fully charged. Come on Fitbit this is ridiculous!! 

Best Answer
I envy your having up to 6 hours; mine dies after an hour or less.
Best Answer