Add body measurement feature

Can you please add a feature to track your body measurements: chest, waist, hips, thigh, and arm? I would like see my progress in inches +/-. When I'm not losing weight, I want to make sure the body inches are still going down. Thanks.

Moderator Edit: Added Labels

395 Comments
lmsans1
First Steps

While the graph is nice to look at, it'd be easier to track actual inches lost with a chart that shows starting stats next to the current stats, like an excel spreadsheet type deal.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

I would like to be able to record my measurements with the app. I think there should also be a graph in the app like there is on the dashboard, but instead of all the lines on one graph have different graphs for each measurements (chest, thigh etc.)

jaymay
Jogger

Just putting it out there - can't find a thread dealing with this.
The Body Measurements element of this software is really underwhelming.
There are 3 main reasons why someone would want to wear a fitbit. 1) Fitness tracking 2) weight loss 3) improve the way they look.   Some of these go hand in hand.
The weight loss and body measurement trackers go hand in hand.   They're both really quite under developed for such an important part of this package.
My main thoughts on it are:

• That the Body measurements log is very poorly placed, should have a tab of it's own, and should be much easier to find.
  • That the Body measurements log contains weird 'body parts to measure'. OK, maybe not if you're a body builder, but I'd challenge you to compare the number of body builders using this, to the number of dieters using this.  People interested in weight loss are not interested much in what their forearms measure as much as say...their backside!  Their tummy!!!  The two fattest parts of the body are missing!  I'm not interested if my calves are thin, only if my bum will fit into  my jeans soon!
  • The custom tracker is WAY too hard to find.
  • the single, one and only custom tracker you can put in - should be two or three to be fair, (I've put in my tummy) doesn't add itself to the main list of body measurements or wherever it should go- I understand it might be measuring something different. Why not have a drop down menu that will add that to whichever list is appropriate. Food, steps, weight or measurement ...so it appears on the right page.
  • To find the results of the custom tracker is diabolical.  And when you do, the graph is so tiny, there's no way you can really see your results anyway.
  • To hover the mouse over the graph is haphazard and often does not show up.  The points of sensitivity for each measurement is too small.  Crappy.
  • The graph for the body measurment tracker is quite frankly useless.  If your measurements happen to be fairly near eachother - eg hips and chest similar like mine, you can't hover or click on them to find any change. The stupid little plot point shapes will just not 'pop up' under the mouse to find the measurment.  Again, the sensitivity points are too small,a nd its overall just a bad design.
    The design should not include days you have NOT put in only days you have.  this would prevent massive gaps, looking like there is no change to the measurement.
    A bar graph would be much more sensible.
    This is probably my main gripe.   I can't see easily how well I'm doing. The graphs are poor, poorly designed, and poorly numerated.    The whole thing needs a massive makeover.
  • OMG when are you going to get REAL food in the lists.  For Australians who love this kind of software, the food list is diabolical.  Looks like someone just went through a supermarket and missed out the fresh food section.
    you should include a section called 'fresh'.   Meaning uncooked as it comes out of the groud, or paddock, food.   Fresh green beans, fresh uncooked chicken, fresh fish, fresh oranges, fresh red apples.    This means those of us who actually cook our own food, can find the ingredients.
    OK that's my rant.
    It's not real enough, and one of your main target audiences, the dieters or weight loss people, are at a severe disadvantage because we can't see easily how well our body is changing, and what good real food we can log to make up the dinners we're eating.

knapsakee
Jogger

I support this addition to the App SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KenPalmersheim
First Steps

I recently began to add my body measurements in the app. I think this is a great opportunity to enhance the dashboard and create a new feature everyone could benefit. Main ideas for the body measurements would be the following: 

1. When entering the data in for a particular field, provide the information on how to enter. 
  2. Ability to edit data after entering it in. Similar to the food/water options.
  3. After the data is entered, display the measurements on a body silhouette and connect it to that part of the body with a line. 
  4. Enable entering the measurements in the app. 

Keep up the great work. I love my Flex and have converted a lot of friends and family to purchase as well. 

Moman126
Base Runner

Great suggestion, I would also like to be able to select (via profile possibly) which measurements I want to see displayed on the graph.

For instance, I am only interested in Chest, Waist, and Hip measurements. But started to enter some of the others so they maintain the last entry I made and it just confuses the display. I know I can remove the ones I don't want to see from the graph, but I have to do this every time I select the Measurements view.

Status changed to: New
EmilyEL
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi there @jaymay and thanks so much for that feedback about the Body Measurements portion of the Log. I've gone ahead and moved your post to "Feature Requests" as it had a lof of suggestions for the improvement of that portion of the site. Our team is actively reading through this board to incorporate valuable ideas into future products/updates, so we appreciate the detail you put into this post! 

gabyrum
Recovery Runner

I recently started using fitbit. I thought there would be a place to put measurements other than just weight - like waist, hips, thighs, etc .Looking through forums I found that there used to be, but the feature was removed after Sept 29 - so isn't available anymore. Why on earth would such a feature be removed? Can it be put back?

thanks.

MaryBfromMD
Jogger

If you go to the dashboard and log weight at the bottom there is a link for other measurements. 

gabyrum
Recovery Runner

Thanks but there is no such link on mine. From what I read in another spot this was an option prior to 9-29-14 - new users after 9-29-14 (which includes me) do not have this option. Makes no sense to have removed it for new users - IMO.

TonyCampos
Recovery Runner

@gabyrum ; @MaryBfromMD 

Fitbit has removed the Body Measurement session from their webpage. So new users, as myself don't have that feature. We need as many as users as possible to call Customer Support and request to have a ticket opened for them to add that back. In case you are unfamiliar to these feature, you should see it at the website > Log > Weight > Log other measurements.

-Call customer support's phone (877)623-4997 between the hours of 4am-8pm PST Mon-Fri, and 6am-5pm PST on weekends

Mroid
Jogger

I also want it. It would be very helpful to see the change of sizes, I don't get the point that why fitbit remove the function for new user.

birgie6
First Steps

I am looking for a way to track my body measurements and was told this feature was removed from the FitBit site. I would apprecciate re-adding that ability because, other than weight, I am working towards goal body measurements and I can't track that anywhere. 

Moderator edit: labels.

rgbailey
First Steps

It is still there.  From the dashboard, click logs, then click weight.  Down at the bottom there is a link log other measurements.

maxh
Recovery Runner

While body fat percentage is still available, heart rate and blood pressure aren't available on accounts created after the 28th of September. (The API calls for these measurements have also been deprecated.) I hope they'll reverse that decision, but for now, that's how it is.

birgie6
First Steps

The additional measurements at the bottom include just Body Fat %. I need to log hip, chest, waist, thigh, etc. measurements.

Thanks! 

ReneeV
Recovery Runner

yes, I would like to measure body parts too.  It would be nice if there can be a total inches lost counting up all body parts as well as individual body parts.

sportsmom9698
Base Runner

I would like to be able to track my body measurements, I understand that this was removed a few months ago for some reason?  Can you bring it back?

Lisa_C
Jogger

I used to track in MyFitnessPal, but now that I got an Aria scale for Xmas, I just want to track it all in one place, preferably my FitBit account. 

Mast
Jogger

I added body measurement data at wrong year, and need to change. I suggest that you provide a function to do that. 

MelanieWayne
Jogger

Are you looking to change the input date for weight/body fat%?

MelanieWayne
Jogger

Same! I love the 'total inches lost' suggestions.  I actually use another app for the sole purpose that it tracks body measurements and then displays them on a line graph vs time. Not a lot do, which I find surprising.

grace35_04
Stepping Up

Agreed.  As a new user, I am really bumbed that this feature is not available.  I have always measured the sucess of my weight loss by inches lost as it is a much more accurate reflection of my progress than my weight.  Please bring it back

Mast
Jogger
HI

No this are the “Other Measurement” such as Waist, Chest and so on.

BR
MAST
EzzyRox
First Steps

I would also like the Additional Measurements log added back. It seems pretty unfair that a friend who has the fitbit ZIP and registered prior to September still has that ability, but I do not as I registered after. It's well known that weight and BMI is not always the best way to measure improvement in health and fitness. 

Come on fitbit, bring back the Additional Measurements log option.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.