Third-party App push notifications on Fitbit screen for All

I and many others have liked, posted, complained and begged Fitbit to allow/enable notifications.  This is a request to Fitbit to enable, at the choosing of the user of the Fitbit tracker (Charge, Charge HR, Alta, Charge 2, & Surge) to have what ever app notifications they want for both iPhone and Android devices display on the Fitbit tracker screen.  This idea suggestion eliminates the need for individual idea suggestions for types of phones or apps that people want to get notifications for, we want the choice to select which ones (like third-party apps such as BitTicker have done for us in the past).  I own a Charge HR, but I want this for all Fitbit trackers, not just mine.  Please give this a thumbs up and post comments on your agreement with this. (And yes, we all know you want Whatsapp part of these choices, don't complain about those of us that still use SMS).  It's about CHOICE of apps, not just Whatsapp.

A recent 10-08-2016 moderator (AndrewFitbit) post on the 'More Notifications' suggestion is what inspired me to do this as it suggests we divide up and make suggestions on each app feature and each device and each tracker.  That is counterproductive.  We need to unite!

Moderator edit: labels

359 Comments
xliv
Stepping Up

Hi all,

I just recently got a FitBit Flex over the holidays. I'm loving it so far. A feature that I think would add a lot of value would be to have the option to have the Flex vibrate whenever a notification is received on a given smartphone device (e.g. call, text, email, etc.) and maybe be able to customize which app notifications activate the vibration and which don't.

Is there documentation in the API that might allow a developer to "call a vibration" when a certain criteria is met? It seems logical to have it considering the Flex must vibrate for the Silent Alarm.

Conversely, FitBit already has its own IFTTT channel and this feature could be implemented through that. Instead of having FitBit as the trigger, it would be great to have other apps like Hangouts, Email, Phone, etc. and have FitBit Flex vibrate as an action for these triggers.

Looking forward to seeing what everyone thinks. Please vote if you agree!

Thanks

Moderator Edit: Added Labels

isaaccallan
Jogger
Be useful to add the feature of your fitbit flex vibrating (and lights flashing in order, perhaps) when you have an incoming call? I know it doesn't have a display for notifications, but would be very useful for me.
Carving
First Steps
I would like that feature
D_Energetic_O
First Steps

Hey xliv,

This is an outstanding idea.  I lack the ability to develop applications and such but I would hope someone takes a look at this and sees what is possible.  Just a small wiggle to let you know you have a text, message, or incoming phone call would be great.  Let me know what I can do to help you get some steam behind this.

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
DerrickS
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

These would be really cool features to see on IFTTT/Flex. Thanks for sharing them with us!

haam
First Steps

excelente idea

jillian_m
First Steps

This would be AMAZING, especially for women that keep their phones in their purses.  Please make this happen!

GustavoG
First Steps

This would be great to help us remember about meetings or when to take your medicines. Really good idea.

jbethel08
First Steps

This would be very helpful, I myself don't see why it cant be implemented with the Flex, especially when the Flex has the ability to do a silent alarm. It doesn't have to be anything fancy but it would be definitely helpful. I don't know about anyone else but when i work out my phone isn't like right by me all the time, especially when i am running. This feature would be nice in every aspect of wearing the Flex. Seeing as the main push for the flex is that it is a All Day Wear type of tracker so it would be nice to integrate simple features that are already being used! 

andlor81
Base Runner

Not just a good idea for Fitbit Flex. If Surge would receive notifications over IFTTT then the Surge will become more smart.

marsie38
First Steps

please include this feature... i badlyl need this feature on your fitbit flex, because the size of the other fitbit models are too big/too wide. this is the perfect size, but dont have the feature i want. will just probably sell my fitbit flex and switch to other smart bands if this feature will not be pushed thru.. thanks

wipolar
First Steps

A pulsing LED or something similar to show you have notifications on your phone would be great too, and wouldn't use up too much battery.

irishmanmick
Keeping Pace

Currently limited to one app from which you can receive message notifications (Android phone). Meaning if I have it set to whatsapp I won't receive sms notifications 

Can you update the setup so that all notifications from all my messaging apps come through 

Moderator edit: added labels and updated subject for clarity

Lolaaj98
First Steps
It would be so cool if we could get notifications on your flex. This could be a really simple update to the software and would be super helpful. What if you did a IFTT channel for it if you can not do a software update. Getting a vibrate whenever your phone gets a notification would be huge!
Neovos
First Steps

I've owned my Fitbit flex for a while now, around a year or two and it is fantastic. But with other bands on the market that offer the same functionality and notification features I feel that we need a bit of a software update done on the flex so it vibrates and flashes if we recieve notifications. It's a cool feature that'll make it stand out from the crowd! Let's make the fitbit flex a fitness and notification band. 

jevetts
First Steps

Yeah I think some kind of vibration or flashing LED would be a great idea for the Flex. I think it is an idea that could easily be implemented and should be added. If the Charge and Charge HR have it, why hasn't the Flex?

GardNiko
First Steps
I agree, this would be really useful!
RichardA3
First Steps
This would be an amazing feature to have and something I would utilize daily. I would also like to see the vibrating option become available for alarms. I know the silent alarm is available via the Fitbit app, but more variability and customization on how long the vibrations lasted and how they were able to be turned off would be great. I am a heavy sleeper and so far the silent alarm is becoming my best friend (and doesn't wake up my partner as easily as loud obnoxious alarms).
nhbarrow
First Steps

Why do we just get to pick one messaging notification application? I want to be notified if I receive a message on google hangouts AND regular SMS messaging. I don't want to have to pick just one. Is there a specific reason as to why you can only choose one and not both?

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
MariamV
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

That's an awesome idea and I hope to see it implemented soon given the fact that our rapidly changing world has more texting apps rather than regular sms.

Rollin87turbo
First Steps
Why are they still ignoring this?! I'm outraged

Loving my Blaze so far, but not a fan of the lack of third party app notification support. Nothing crazy is needed, just basic third party workout apps and messaging/calling apps should be supported. The basics of the third party app world would be nice. I personally wouldn't want my Blaze being unloaded with Facebook notifications, but workout reminders from the app I use would be nice. However, I still like the product. Thank you. 

epereira
Recovery Runner

Requesting 3rd party app notifications (gmail included).

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

+1 Smiley Wink

JD76ers
Keeping Pace

email notifications would be great

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.