Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you ever see a friend's daily steps?

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.
I understand the seven days step thing and the challenges. This is my question. Is there any way to see how many steps your friends have for that day at any given time if you aren't in a challenge?
Best Answer
80 REPLIES 80

Hey moderator, thanks for the reminder, but you are missing or ignoring the point. Years of asking Fitbit for this feature has gone nowhere. In my case, I don't want to set up an activity or challenge; I want to see what one particular friend is doing on one particular day. The Fitbit community, as proven by all the posts on this subject really, really, wants this feature and is annoyed, frustrated and occasionally moved to go to a different activity monitor because of it. I wish the programmers at Fitbit, as busy as they are, could be repurposed to add this feature.

Best Answer
Yes, I switched. The only thing that keeps me going is daily competition
with my friends. Setting challenges or whatever is not the best use of my
time.
Best Answer

Hello @JTJT and @Jrwaits.

@JTJT I mentioned challenges and activity groups as a possible workaround for this. We're absolutely aware of the feedback and the requests to add such a feature and while we do not have anything to announce at this time, we will be sure to let everyone know the moment we do.

Feel free to let me know if there is anything else I can help you with!

Lanuza | Community Moderator

Remember to vote for posts that helped you out! Tired of the same workout music? Try a Podcast! 🙂

Best Answer

Put me down as one to want this feature, as the leading activity tracker, it's absolutely ridiculous to NOT have this feature, it should be a tile on the dashboard, Duh. It's 2018

Best Answer

If you download the Stridekick app, then access your Fitbit account through that, you will be able to see daily totals of you and your friends.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Welcome to the Forums @CrisFitB. Hello @Donnakling.

@Donnakling Thanks for sharing that. I'm sure that it could be useful. Please do keep in mind that it was not a Fitbit developed app or service and thus we cannot guarantee its functionality. 

@CrisFitB Thanks for your feedback.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Lanuza | Community Moderator

Remember to vote for posts that helped you out! Tired of the same workout music? Try a Podcast! 🙂

Best Answer

Which settings do you change to let your friend see your daily steps?? I can only find one option to show or hide lifetime steps and not daily steps.

Best Answer
0 Votes

On the website, it looks like it's under Settings/ Privacy/ Statistics. Change " Average Daily Step Count" and "Steps, Distance, Floors Graph"  to "Friends only". Daily steps of friends won't show on the mobile app and Fitbit finally admitted that they're not planning on programming that feature in. Happy stepping!

Best Answer

I am about as frustrated as you are. Completely blown away by ignorance of those who want to beat their heads bloody against a wall or continue to kick a dead horse. I have read your 3+ responses to the same ignorant comments from the blind leading the blind.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you, Purevil (sp?)!!! I followed your instructions using my chrome app on my phone, and all the info I never knew about was exactly as you said! Thank you so much for your help!!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am not in any challenges or activities either. Follow the directions before claiming it's missing the point. Those instructions are correct. Stop ignoring them, and just give them a try. For the love.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Dimitrix I hope you're doing well! Sorry for the delay in my response.

Thank you for sharing your experience when following PureEvil's instructions as this may help other members in the same situation.

I'll be around.

Alvaro | Community Moderator

If a post helped you try voting and selecting it as a solution so other members benefit from it. Select it as Best Solution!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi

lost the overview here. Seems it does not work. A part of a new group and all I/we can see is a useless number. I believe most people want to see the members daily steps, ranked in the group so its possible to see who leads that day. Soooo simple, where are fitbit with this simple feature?  As is, its just not good enough. 

And btw quite strange that this is what most people/groups need and wants, and for years fitbit has not listened. 

Best Answer

@Goswo101,

First, before you claim that it doesn't work please read through and follow the instructions.  I just tried it and it does work.  You do need to do this from a computer instead of a phone (the graph is rendered with Flash which many mobile browsers don't support).  To illustrate the point, you can go to my profile and see (move your mouse over the bar for today):

fitbit-todaysteps.jpg

See that little message that says "1196 steps taken on Thu, Jul 18".  Well, that's today.

So you can claim that you can't figure it out or that it doesn't work from a phone, but it does work.

Second, looking at anyone's steps for today is fragile and fleeting.  Some people work out in the mornings; others in the evening.  Most people work during the day; some work the night shift.  My Fitbit friend Julia lives in the UK, it's about 10am for me and it's 6pm for her.  Do I really want to compare my step count in the start of my day versus the end of hers?

The stat on the leaderboard reflects the last 7 days (preceding six days + today), which is, in my opinion, a much more reliable stat than today's steps since it more effectively accounts for differences in time zone and people's habits and schedules.

If you're brand new (less than a week) then yes, your number is not meaningful yet, but certainly you (and your friends) can put off the competitive juices for a week?

I hope this helps.

Frank | Washington, USA

Fitbit One, Ionic, Charge 2, Alta HR, Blaze, Surge, Flex, Flex 2, Zip, Ultra, Flyer, Aria, Aria 2 - Windows 10, Windows Phone

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
I don't think they listen to their customers! In fact i know
now they don't....this has been going on for quit some time:(
Best Answer

When I got my fitbit in 2013, I could see my friends daily steps. Why did you take this away. My son's gave up waiting for it to return do they bought apple  watches. If daily steps can't be seen, I'll leave fitbit.

Best Answer

I've always been able to do this until recently. Now there are no daily steps showing up.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I hadn't looked at anyone's steps in at least a week, so I hadn't noticed. You're right, I can't see any friends' steps, even when looking on my PC. I just see recent badges and trophies. Fitbit moderator, do you have any info for us?

Best Answer
Best Answer
0 Votes
It still doesn't work.

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer
0 Votes