Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Resolved: Changes to Data Export tool

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Fitbit Update 11/30/2018: This issue has been resolved and I'll be closing it from further responses. 

Fitbit Update 11/28/2018: The old data export tool is now back and available for use. You can now choose which way you would like to export your data going forward. If you would like to access the old tool, please go here and select "if you would like to use the old data export tool click here" under Export My Fitbit Data. 

If you have any issues, please let me know. Thanks for your patience and reports! 

Fitbit Update 11/27/2018: Happy Tuesday! Just a heads up that we hope to have an update soon on the Data Export tool. I'll continue to update the thread this week. 

Fitbit Update 11/20/2018: While I don't have an update today, I can assure you that your feedback is being heard. One note, if you contact our support team, they will not be able to supply additional details, but I will continue to update this thread as I know more. We do appreciate the feedback.

Fitbit Update 11/16/2018:  Hi Everyone, here's an update on the recent changes to the export tool:

With the recent improvements to our tool, you can now export your Fitbit data, starting from your first step with Fitbit.

You can also access new data for download, such as heart-rate data, exercise logs, and your activity in the Fitbit community. For more information, see How do I export my data?

We understand that some customers are having difficulty interpreting their data in the new download format. We’ll continue to add features and make improvements based on your feedback.

Thank you all for your input in the thread. Our team will continue to monitor this thread and I'll let you know when I have further updates. 

Actively managing your weight? Find accountability buddies on the Manage Weight board

Best Answer
384 REPLIES 384

Fitbit Update 11/28/2018: The old data export tool is now back and available for use. You can now choose which way you would like to export your data going forward. If you would like to access the old tool, please go here and select "if you would like to use the old data export tool click here" under Export My Fitbit Data. 

If you have any issues, please let me know. Thanks for your patience and reports! 

Actively managing your weight? Find accountability buddies on the Manage Weight board

Best Answer
Assuming you meant 11/28/18. I don't want to wait a year.
Best Answer

@roboqueen68 correct! So excited to get the news out. 

@SunsetRunner we aren't accepting new members to Premium, though it's available to current users. I've reported that link to the team. 

Best Answer

Thank You. That's all I needed.

Best Answer
0 Votes
@ KateFitbit THANK YOU!

FYI folks - when you go to the page there's a link at the top that says "If
you would like to use the old export tool...." Don't be fooled if the page
looks diferent
Best Answer
0 Votes

@BarbKM good point, I updated my post. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@KateFitbit  Thank you, Thank you. Hope all are happy!

Best Answer

Great!!! And thankfully Fitbit activated this option again. Many of us use the data to analyze our performance 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for bringing back this critical functionality!

Best Answer

@KateFitbit wrote:

Fitbit Update 11/28/2018: The old data export tool is now back and available for use. You can now choose which way you would like to export your data going forward. If you would like to access the old tool, please go here and select "if you would like to use the old data export tool click here" under Export My Fitbit Data. 

@KateFitbit, thank you for getting this back for us.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@craigvan wrote:

@KateFitbit  Thank you, Thank you. Hope all are happy!

it's great it is back - just in time for end of month reporting.

now,

if they could just add activity data (rather than a day summary)

and HR data.

lol

Best Answer

@KateFitbit Thank you for restoring the csv data download option!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Kate -

I'm glad to see that the CSV data export function is back. However, why did it go away? Will this happen again in the future?

Best Answer
0 Votes

@KateFitbit wrote:

@craigvan existing users can continue to use Premium, so that shouldn't be an issue. 

@KateFitbitwhy should they need to? The old functionality that existed prior to the JSON fiasco is available on the premium page so just open it up for everybody.

And refund anybody who has signed up to premium since the release of the JSON files. If this long awaited announcement is what it should be the premium service should soon be obsolete.

It looks like you have, pity it took so long to do such a simple thing.

@MrMarv

@iccir919

@eglons

Time for a new thread "Managing JSON Export Files"?

Pete

Best Answer
0 Votes

Sanity prevailed.  Thank goodness.

Best Answer

@iccir919 -

Tried with my Mac at home.

Single file conversion of two separate food logs is great - 100 rows plus header row

Selecting two with merge check box checked just gives me the first 100 rows from the first file.

Nice and clean and fast with auto-download. Sweet. Workable, even though having multiple files into one csv is preferable. I'll be checking in.

I just wish all the data was there, but that will be another battle for another day - soon - and it is not your problem. That's between me and Fitbit.

RETIRED Enterprise Computing / "IT Guy" - Southern California - Marine Staff Sergeant 1970-78
Apple Watch 6 - iPhone 8 (iOS 16.6) - FitBit app 3.87 - MacBook Air (macOS Catalina)
Best Answer
0 Votes

@MrMarv wrote:

@iccir919 -

Tried with my Mac at home.

Single file conversion of two separate food logs is great - 100 rows plus header row

Selecting two with merge check box checked just gives me the first 100 rows from the first file.

Nice and clean and fast with auto-download. Sweet. Workable, even though having multiple files into one csv is preferable. I'll be checking in.

I just wish all the data was there, but that will be another battle for another day - soon - and it is not your problem. That's between me and Fitbit.

@MrMarv

@iccir919

Firefox on Win 10. I've been trying it with HR files. It runs OK with a small number or when not merging them but if I try with a month of HR files Firefox pops up "this page is taking time, stop it or wait". It seems to keep going when Wait is selected, repeatedly poping it up but doesn't seem to get to the end. Stopping doesn't recover nicely as it takes a restart of the browser to enable another batch to be processed.

At up to 20,000 rows each the HR files aren't small and would have been a problem if the developers had tried to put one month of HR data into  CSV file (up to 620,000 rows) in the old export format.

(edit - my full month HR data did work and became a file of 254,000 rows)

Could you output a line with the filename being processed to see if it still runs or stalls? Of course normally it will fly through the list.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@KateFitbit Great news! Thanks for listening to the community!

Best Answer

@KateFitbitGreat effort by the team.. Here is the old export link rather than go back through the posts.. or the URL below..

https://www.fitbit.com/settings/data/export

Colin:Victoria, Australia
Ionic (OS 4.2.1, 27.72.1.15), Android App 3.45.1, Premium, Phone Sony Xperia XA2, Android 9.0
Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for making csv/excel - can you please add a "Heart Data" section?  Resting Heart Rate and minutes in cardio/fat burning ranges etc?

Best Answer
0 Votes