Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Steps Recording on Flex while riding motorcycle

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

My flex showed 10,000 plus steps yesterday. Actual steps were more like 3,000. However I did spend about 4 hours riding my motorcycle. Does the vibration activate the step monitor? Wierd because most days my steps are between 3-5k.

Any others with this problem?

Moderator edit: clarified subject.

Best Answer
80 REPLIES 80

I am getting the same message - just for the record - I have never seen a workable resolution to this problem.  I tried to go into my account and flag it as on the motorcycle.  Didn't change a thing.......

Best Answer
Does it stop recording when off your wrist and in your pocket?
I would have thought it would still pick up the vibrations.....

Thanks,

Manuel Schmerber
Best Answer
Why would I put my watch i. My pocket?
Best Answer

@HelenFitbit

This issue has NOT been answered with any satisfaction, as evidenced by the amount of continuing discussion.

Repeating your response displays a lack of a proper solution, or knowledge of one.

This link, that you posted (wrote a post with some biking tips,) , results in an "Access Denied.  Sorry, you don't have permission to access this page."

The only solution (creating an event labeled "Driving") that is purported to works is suspect.  There is no definitive setting other than guessing where to stop on the sliding scale.

I am hoping that there will be a realistic, workable solution to this issue in the future.  

Best Answer

Here is an easy solution and it doesn't require any extra entries....I've simply turned off my FitBit when on the bike and back on when I get off the bike. If I need a clock, I look on my dashboard.

After forgetting once, I've not forgotten since.

Versa 3 | Windows 10 | Pixel 4a 5G | 10K Daily | FitBit Food Tracking
Best Answer

Can't simply turn off a FitBit Charge 2.  I rarely forget to just leave my FitBit at home when I'm out riding.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Is there an on/off for the Charge 4?

Best Answer

It seems like it could tell by gps and speed or does it just track vibration???

Best Answer
0 Votes
Just vibration. I'm done with fit bit. I'm switching to a Samsung wear
watch
Manuel Schmerber
Network Administrator
www.linkedin.com/in/manuelschmerber
Best Answer

Fitbit does not seem to correlate the gps / speed.

It uses vibration and air pressure to calculate steps and floors.  I rode my motorcycle to my SIL house, 275 miles round trip.  Fitbit calculated the following:  413 floors, 30,097 steps, and 14.41 miles.

Since there is no way to shut the device off, I will not be able to wear it on an upcoming trip to the west coast.

--------------------------------------------------

BTW,

@HelenFitbit

This issue has NOT been answered with any satisfaction, as evidenced by the amount of continuing discussion.

Best Answer

I have a Garmin Forerunner that doesn't give me bonus steps when I ride my motorcycle(s). 

Actually you can sit on the couch and move your fitbit hand rhythmically and chalk u some steps.

Best Answer

I am trying to edit the steps from riding my motorcycle.  I was able to add the activity and the app updates but not that watch.

Suggestions?

Best Answer
0 Votes

My Charge 5 does the same thing.  I have resigned myself to letting the app do whatever it is going to do.  When I am going to ride, I just leave the watch at home.  I have tried to keep the watch from recording by wrapping it soft cloth, still records everything.  Would be nice if fitbit would put an off button, either on the watch or through the app.

Best Answer

Bad to hear the Charge 5 has the same problem as the Charge 2 after all these years.  You do the same solution as I do.. just take the watch off and leave it at home while riding (which for me is a lot).

Best Answer

Agreed, I would like to carry the watch, so I can wear it while off the bike.

Best Answer

Makes me wonder if there are any Fitbit devices that are capable of not adding not adding steps and stairs while riding a motorcycle so unless there are assurances directly from Fitbit then I will not consider any devices beyond the Charge 4 that I am about to put in a drawer and purchase something else. As others have stated there are many devices, including phones that do not add the extra steps. It can be done. Has been done.

Best Answer
0 Votes

And where is said post?

No link. And this is considered the "best answer"? Seems to me that Fitbit never had very much interest in solving issues with their devices. Now owned by google, I'm pretty sure there will be less interest than ever. 

Best Answer

Come on Google fix this already. Riding a motorcycle has a very distinct movement signature from walking, running, or bicycling. Sort it please. 

Best Answer

Not an answer or a solution. it's a lame workaround.

Best Answer

So how about this devs: discount all steps and calories etc if heartbeat remains close to resting. Surely there's a solution around that? 

Best Answer