Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

80-100K per day loggers

I'm new to Fitbit and I can;t see how people are logging this many steps a day unless that is all they do and have no life. Roughly 50 miles plus per day of walking? Anyone else wonder how this is possible day in and out? I don't think even marathon runners would log this many miles per day. 

Best Answer
189 REPLIES 189

TandemWalker:  My Son is a department  Manager at a local Menards, he works an average of 10 hours a day and is on his feet all day long, helping out customers, assisting his staff, he has never logged more than 20K steps a day.  Someone would have to average over 120 steps per minute if they worked in store, I ask how could they accomplish anything related to their job walking 120 steps per minute, assist customers, staff, supervise their department.  As far as mail carriers, walking routes are a thing of the past, they ride in trucks, stop every few blocks, deliver the mail, get back in their trucks and do it all over again.  Where I live, which is in the city, they never get out of their trucks, meter reading is done electronically, they just drive by each house, so the list does not go on and on.  No one logs 80-100k steps on their job!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I recall hearing of someone who ‘achieved’ 100k per day frequently.  It turned out that the Fitbit would be strapped to a mixmaster for a good portion of the day....

my guess for those repeatedly reaching 100k per day are cheating..

Best Answer
0 Votes
Stand up. Turn on a movie... begin to step, as in March in place for the whole movie. Write back how many steps you got. Ok?

Lisha Johnson :virgo:️🌹💖👟✌🏾🙏🏾
Best Answer
0 Votes

@SunsetRunner wrote:

Well I am 71 years old  and I average at least 15,000 per day.    Finished with 84,000 this week, although there of been many times I've hit 100,000. My secret? I'm up at five, do warm-up exercises and weight bearing exercises every other day and get out the door and walk. Sometimes I run. I've actually done four half marathons in the last two years   I walk between six and 8 miles per day and I'm usually home by 830 in the morning which gives me the rest of the day

100k per week is good but nothing special .. its the 100k per DAY that this thread is discussing.

Enderman
Best Answer
0 Votes

Just doing 10k/day (what the WHO recommends) is fairly challenging itself, though once I achieved 30k and that was pushing it for the whole day on a long hike.. it would be near to impossible to acheieve 100k plus in a single day and anyone claiming it is full of BS or they have a dodgy step counter! I would challenge anyone to rack up just 60k on a DAILY BASIS and present the evidence.

Enderman
Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm offended!  As a mail carrier that has a WALKING route i can assure you it is NOT a thing of the past. It's known as a park and loop, so we drive the LLVs around to first destination then walk the block and repeat. However I walk 15.8 miles PER Day in a 8-9hr shift...i easily average 45k a day. I also have short legs. When I return home I also play with my kids, dogs and do chores.....when it's all said and done I've logged about 60k steps in my 19 hour long day....so yes it is possible to hit more or less. This is just my personal average tho

Best Answer

A normal jog on the spot whilst watching 1 hour of tv will get you around 9k, many of us watch more than 1 hour of tv

But agreed, not everyone is sat down working

Best Answer
0 Votes
So if one wants to begin to adopt a behavior of obtaining more steps, one must get creative and not limit themselves to 1 hour of anything. 24 hours in a day... 2 hours of watching movies (based on scenario) that’s 18k steps... if you think it, and try, it’s possible.

Lisha Johnson :virgo:️🌹💖👟✌🏾🙏🏾
Best Answer
0 Votes

It's not that amazing is it really. He took 24 hours to do 100k steps. That's a little over 4K an hour. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Why would anyone do this? Does it guarantee health and fitness? What did
this person do the next day?
Best Answer
0 Votes

wrote:

Nothing guarantees health and fitness. You should know that. It's playing the odds for all of us. 

There is a great psychological reward for setting a high physical goal and then achieving it. It makes easier goals seem easy. 

Best Answer

wrote:

Went to Hospital!

Enderman
Best Answer
0 Votes

If you minus out 8 hours of sitting each day, then minus out another two of sedentary after work activities, you've got 10 hours of active time being filled each day. If you're keen on being healthy, consider what it might take... and create that possibility

Best Answer
0 Votes
Triangulator: If 80-100K day loggers think they are becoming healthier and
more physical fit they are mistaken. All that they are training for is to
walk 80-100K steps per day. They would have trouble running a 10K race,
riding a bike 26 miles, or rowing a concept 2 rower for 40 minutes at the
pace I do or walk on an elliptical for 45 minutes ramp level 3, resistance
level 6 at 130 steps per minute. I personally have better thing to do with
my time than to walk for 10 hours to boost my ego. I doubt ant 80-100K
walker elevates their heart rate in their specific training zone for 45
minutes at a time, if they did congratulations, if not they are only
logging 80-100K steps.
Best Answer
0 Votes

100k steps is roughly 50 miles of distance. 

Anyone pulling it off on a regular basis is among the cream of the crop of elite endurance athletes. Running a single 50 miler in 10 hours is very difficult with months if not years of training. Doing it every day is one of the more remarkable feats of human endurance I can imagine. 

Anyone legitimately doing such a thing isn’t going to struggle to jog a 5k. 

Best Answer

Even elite endurance athletes DO NOT put in this type of mileage on a regular basis.

Yiannis Kouros of Greece is the greatest ultramarathon runner of all time. He owns just about every ultraracing record there is. In an article about him on ultrarunning.com when he was setting all kinds of world records, it is noted that he trains by running no more than 80 miles a week. That is nowhere close to 80-100k steps a day average.

Even though I don't know Mr. Kouros, I have gotten to know many of the top ultra runners in the US. NONE OF THEM TRAIN LIKE THAT!!!

The body needs rest and is not set up for that type of pounding day after day after day, week after week after week. You be the judge whether normal people can put in that distance on a regular basis.

Best Answer

@Ronlaub- Agreed, I've never been one to believe people do 100k on a regular basis. My goal is to do it once - don't ask why lol, it's there...

I consider myself a pretty solid stepper and between getting tired, life happening and days where I just feel like crashing, I find just making my goal every day is difficult at times. Here's a YTD graph for me - I think it illustrates what you are saying. Some good up days, a good amount of in between days and quite a few down days to rest.

YTD.jpg

Keep Steppin!
Sal
Best Answer

@Corney- True, there are much better exercises out there when it comes to heart fitness, but walking itself is a very solid exercise that burns calories and tones you up. Here's a slide that I've always found interesting:

3.png

Granted, walking doesn't do the same for heart health, you do need to ramp up for that and while it does take longer to burn the calories, it does burn them.

I find I don't have the desire to lift weights or run these days but I love to walk so it does help me quite a bit with weight loss. I also have an elliptical at home that I try to get on as well, not as consistent with that though 🙂

Keep Steppin!
Sal
Best Answer

I walk hills and trails at an elevation of 7000-9000 ft. I have no trouble getting a good aerobic workout with walking only. E.g.,  2 miles with 1200 ft elevation gain in 45 minutes (HR 125-135). And the bonus - when I walk flat it seems really easy.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Ronlaub: You are correct. No one who logs 80-100K steps does it day after
day, week after week, and any one who says they do or believes someone does
that is living in an alternate reality. Welcome to the new normal!
Best Answer