Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you have to run to be fit?

About 3 years ago, I started the couch to 5k program and completed it, and then progressed to easily running 5k around 3 times a week, and even managed a couple of 10k charity runs.  But I since moved to a small village, where running at night is so boring, because it's the same loop over and over again - and it's very dark, eventhough I'm all lit up.  And now, because I've not been commited to running, I have lost all progress.  I find it very hard to run even 20 minutes without feeling really uncomfortable.

I try treadmill running, but find that dull.  But I've got into classes - I love body combat, and pilates.  

I could restart the couch to 5k program at around week 4, where I can manage the runs and have a sense of accomplishment, but then as it's on a treadmill, I'm really not sure I'd enjoy it.  And you have to enjoy what you do...

But can you still be fit by doing other things - if I traded running for something like zumba, which I think would be good fun!  I just have it in my head that to be fit, you need to run, but I'm hoping that's not true!

Best Answer
163 REPLIES 163

i was living a very sedentry life and getting overweight as a result... ok overweight is a bit of an exaggeration. i was morbidly obese. i was sitting at home watching Tv and browsing on the internet and i saw an ad for a local crossfit gym wanting 10 x 50+ aged people to take a get back to fitness class. initially was a bit intimidated as all the crossfit i had seen was of the games and they are ultra athletes. went down and took a look and was very suprised. I joined up on the spot and it was awesome. there were a mixture of men and women all over 50 and giving it a go in a class tailored to us. this was my kick start back to fitness and weight loss. after the class had concluded i opted out of continuing at the crossfit gym. mainly a cost issue as it was quite pricey. the class had also got me back into rowing on the indoor rower something i used to do over 15 years ago. so back to the standard gym and rowing became my fitness machine of choice. 3 -6 days a week i would head to the gym and row for up to an hour a session 7 -15 km each session. about 2 months ago i hurt my arm and now am unable to row. so i started walking and got a fitbit and here i am. i have dropped 15kg in weight over the last 9 months and am much better off. i dont like running at all never have never will but i can walk with the best of them and row in the top 10% worldwide according to the concept 2 website rankings. once i get my arm sorted i will be back on the rower as its a beast and gives you a full body workout every single time 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Great to hear your story. Rowing is rarely mentioned as a primary fitness
activity, but it is a great all around exercise. Walking is also a strong
exercise, though I like to do my walking on hikes. They don't have to be
long, just regular and consistent. Getting out in nature is also "good
for the soul."
Best Answer

yes getting out and about in nature is great. another sport i do (very rarely these days) is kayak fishing and being way out at sea on the kayak is very cleansing for the mind. not to mention the potential for side events like dolphins and whales etc 

Best Answer
Good show. Keep paddling!
Best Answer