Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you have to run to be fit?

About 3 years ago, I started the couch to 5k program and completed it, and then progressed to easily running 5k around 3 times a week, and even managed a couple of 10k charity runs.  But I since moved to a small village, where running at night is so boring, because it's the same loop over and over again - and it's very dark, eventhough I'm all lit up.  And now, because I've not been commited to running, I have lost all progress.  I find it very hard to run even 20 minutes without feeling really uncomfortable.

I try treadmill running, but find that dull.  But I've got into classes - I love body combat, and pilates.  

I could restart the couch to 5k program at around week 4, where I can manage the runs and have a sense of accomplishment, but then as it's on a treadmill, I'm really not sure I'd enjoy it.  And you have to enjoy what you do...

But can you still be fit by doing other things - if I traded running for something like zumba, which I think would be good fun!  I just have it in my head that to be fit, you need to run, but I'm hoping that's not true!

Best Answer
163 REPLIES 163

Hell yeah! You can do whatever makes you happy to become and stay fit. Running,  cycling,  dancing,  boxing...whatever you like and keeps you motivated! 

I like running..but not in the dark so this winter I am trying out a gym. Treadmill...not my cup of tea but I do like the crosstrainer so that is my go-to machine now.

Yesterday I tried a yoga class...I thought I could easily do that...not so much. 

Even without running...plenty of challenges left!! 

Enjoy yourself with whatever makes you happy and active! 

Best Answer

The simple answer to your question, @blondie3384, is No, you do not have to run to be fit. I don't run any more, due to my age and the wear & tear on my knees from years of running marathons and such. But, I exercise a lot and keep very fit.  I love hiking when the weather or terrain permits, and I use the treadmill and elliptical when it doesn't. When I was recovering from my last spine surgery 10 months ago, the doctor told me he wanted me to walk "at least" 5 miles a day. When I started, I had a hard time making a mile without stopping and resting. But, over time both my pace and distance have increased to the point that I typically walk 7 to 10 miles a day. When I'm walking on the treadmill I stream a video on my tablet with a bluetooth headset to break the boredom, and before I know it the movie is over and I have gone 6, 7, or 8 miles. When I'm on the elliptical, I can't watch a video because I don't seem to be that coordinated, but I do enjoy the heavy workout the machine gives me.

The key thing is to Keep on Moving!  All exercise is good exercise, unless you are doing too much and straining something.

Check out this article on Hike Your Way to Betterh Health, too.

Best Answer

I agree its what ever keeps you moving. I dont run. Been told not to as a matter of fact due to problems I have.

So many things you can do that keep you fit.

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

@blondie3384, you certainly do not need to run to be fit.

The above said, if you want to keep running in the dark during the winter time, something which I and a lot of folks I know do, get reflective clothing and a bright headlamp and/or hand lamps.

The following is a link to the lamp I use and it works so well not only am I able to run on sidewalks and roads at night, I'm also able to run on local rural trais at night without tripping.

Here is a link to the hand torches my wife likes to use:

Best Answer

Dance is one of the best ways to stay cardio fit. So no, running is not needed- anything that gets your heart rate up will keep you cardio fit.

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer

Just keep active, and check your Fitbit - it'll tell you what zone you're working in.

PS.  I can't run!....I have never been able to do distance, at all.  As I'm more 'get in and get it over and done with', my running has always been more based towards 100m style.

So, as per the what everybody has said - just do what makes you happy....it's the easiest way to stay motivated.

Best Answer

@blondie3384 - You don't need to run to get fit. You have to enjoy in what you are doing. Otherwise, it will be a hell. There are lot of ways to keep yourself be fit. I think, if you change your way of thinking it would help you to try other things like Zumba what you mentioned. 

Best Answer

Being active encompasses so many more activities other than running! Get out and do what you love! I'm a swimmer at heart and enjoy swimming and running a couple days a week, riding my bike to work, doing yoga, lifting weights, getting on the elliptical, doing P90X, teaching spin classes and so much more! 

Best Answer

No not at all! Find something you love to do whether it is swimming, weight training, cardio kick, or yoga. 🙂

Best Answer

Hi,

No you do not have to run to be fit. Running is great, but Zumba, Kickboxing whatever you like

works. I also used to be a runner but am limited to how much now. I enjoy walking, yoga, Zumba

and a lot of other classes. Pick whatever you like and enjoy!

Best Answer

The short answer to your original question is no. You don't have to run to be fit. There are tons of ways to exercise, both cardio and weight training, that will keep you fit. You just have to pick which you like.

I'm with you on winter running/exercise. Have you ever thought of indoor bicycling? I like biking in good weather, and set my bike up on rollers in my basement. To combat boredom while I ride, I set up my computer in front of me, and went to Youtube. I searched for the term "indoor bicycling videos", and there are tons of videos that were filmed by bikers with a GoPro or similar camera. I feel like I'm biking through the Alps or through the German countryside or a New Zealand trail or along the coast of Majorca. And it's cheaper than buying a plane ticket to those places.

You can get rollers (indoor bicycle trainer) for anywhere from $50 to $500, depending on how high tech you want to get.

Best Answer

No No NO! Running is not the only method of being fit. Any activity that gets your heart rate pumping can make you fit. Loads of people can't run, but are still Healthy.  Are the people in the paralympics Games unfit? HELL NO. We can all be fit, its just about exploring different options. Perhaps you feel like this because running got you fit, but maybe it's good that you don't feel like running is for you anymore, gives you time to explore new things, spinning (or cycling!), swimming is a good one or even just walking. 

We're all different and any activity you chose to partake in can make you 'Fit'. Good luck in finding a new hobby that makes you feel great Smiley Happy

Kendalll
Best Answer

Thank you for all your replies!  I've decided to give running another try using the c25k approach, and if  after 9 weeks I still hate it or I'm really struggling, there's a couple of classes I can do instead 🙂

Best Answer

good luck, I can't run either.  I am more of a cardio junky LOL

Best Answer

NO, Do what ever exercise your capabile of  weither it be crawl,walk, run, climb, situps, pushups, trampling, what ever you desire will make you fitter, Good Luck in the year ahead.

Best Answer

A lot of people will tell you "no".  Then they will follow that up with an "easy out" solution like walking or toe tapping.  Is walking good for you, yes it is.  What you need to keep in mind is that you're only cheating yourself if you're selling yourself short.  Walking is pushing it for some people (and I would encourage that person to keep it up); however, if you believe that you're beyond that (and be honest), you should be picking it up a bit doing some form of exercise that challenges yourself.  People give up at the gym because they don't see results.  I'll be the first person to tell you that you won't see results if your BMI is average and you're going for a casual stroll every evening.

Another thing... I would argue that eating healthy is MORE important than exercise if you're wanting to look healthy.  I know that I cannot push myself to the max if I have eaten poorly the day before.  Think of yourself as a vehicle.  Are you a beater running on unleaded or are you a lamborghini on premium?  You'll really be able to tell this once you start pushing your body to the max.  Always keep in the back of your mind that 100% weight loss = 20% exercise + 80% eating well.  

Hope that helps (and doesn't tick too many "walkers" off)

Best Answer

You can gauge your efforts by monitoring your heart rate, whether walking running, cycling, etc..

If you have access to a treadmill you can always increase the speed and the incline to increase the effort required to get your heartrate up. As Komick said, you should be pushing your self, not just going thru the motions.

I also agree that if you are looking for exercise to lose weight, that will be a very long slow process. You'l get more fit, no doubt, but most weight loss will happen when you eat healthy meals. I have heard the 80% eating, 20% exercise rule many times, bit I think it is more like 90/10. Always fit in some time to do some strength training too.

Best Answer

@ced4511 wrote:

You can gauge your efforts by monitoring your heart rate, whether walking running, cycling, etc..

If you have access to a treadmill you can always increase the speed and the incline to increase the effort required to get your heartrate up. As Komick said, you should be pushing your self, not just going thru the motions.

I also agree that if you are looking for exercise to lose weight, that will be a very long slow process. You'l get more fit, no doubt, but most weight loss will happen when you eat healthy meals. I have heard the 80% eating, 20% exercise rule many times, bit I think it is more like 90/10. Always fit in some time to do some strength training too.

Not sure I buy the 80/20 or 90/10 thing.  Why?  When I changed jobs back in 2013 and started running again I didn't change my diet, at least initially, and yet I lost about 40 pounds in five months.  Then I changed my diet in that I had to increase the amount of food I was eating.  Why?  Because I would routinely feel faint if I didn't.  Even with the increased food intake I continued to lose weight.

So, regarding 80/20 (or 90/10), I'm thinking it was more like 0/100 for me.

Best Answer

training hard and reap the rewards, tapper off when you have event you have coming up.

Best Answer