Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you have to run to be fit?

About 3 years ago, I started the couch to 5k program and completed it, and then progressed to easily running 5k around 3 times a week, and even managed a couple of 10k charity runs.  But I since moved to a small village, where running at night is so boring, because it's the same loop over and over again - and it's very dark, eventhough I'm all lit up.  And now, because I've not been commited to running, I have lost all progress.  I find it very hard to run even 20 minutes without feeling really uncomfortable.

I try treadmill running, but find that dull.  But I've got into classes - I love body combat, and pilates.  

I could restart the couch to 5k program at around week 4, where I can manage the runs and have a sense of accomplishment, but then as it's on a treadmill, I'm really not sure I'd enjoy it.  And you have to enjoy what you do...

But can you still be fit by doing other things - if I traded running for something like zumba, which I think would be good fun!  I just have it in my head that to be fit, you need to run, but I'm hoping that's not true!

Best Answer
163 REPLIES 163

No you don't have to run to be fit. I got told by a physiotherapist that I have shin splints in my legs and he doesn't want me to run. So I walk everywhereSmiley Happy

Best Answer

Blondie3384,

Of course you don't have to run to stay physically fit. My ways of staying fit are doing what I love! You can do walks, you can do Zumba (that's what my mom used to do all the time!), you can do hockey (like me), or pretty much anything else you love! As long as it is something you love, you will be motivated to do it often, for the time you want to burn those calories! You could also try strength training... not what I would personally do, though. Another way you could do it is to find anything you like that falls under aerobic, anaerobic, or cardiovascular exercise. One of the important things for your exercises to fall under one of these categories is that in order to stay fit, you have to get the heart going! When you do this, it leaves your heart happier and healthier. Happy training!

Best Answer

Blondie3384:  You do not have to run to be fit.  I ran for over 25 years till problems caused me to quit.  I substituted using an elliptical, a rower and a stationary bike and still have maintained my level of fitness.  To become fit you must elevate your heart rate up to your training zone for at least 20-30 minutes at least 4 times per week.  Training zone is 220 minus your age multiplied by 75%.  Example a 50 year old( 220-50 = 170x75% equals 127-128 BPM.  Running is not for everyone, find some type of exercise you enjoy that elevates your HR to your training zone, then go for it!

Best Answer

I dont think that running is the only option if we want to be fit, i just do aerobic and it pump my heart rate to 90% of my max 

Best Answer

Reinhartz,

Isn't it dangerous to get your heart rate that high?

Best Answer
Reinhartz: How long do you do your aerobic exercise at 90% max HR? If you
can't carry on a comfortable conversation at that level of exertion you are
doing anaerobic exercise not aerobic.
Best Answer

Maybe arround 15-25 minutes top with interval , here is the stat for my training for last 2 days as measured by another brand heart rate tracker ( chest strap )

YesterdayYesterday

Day before yesterdayDay before yesterday

Oh yeah , thank you for correction 🙂

happy stepping

Best Answer

I do use chest strap for HR monitoring , and i do concern that my HR only hit arround 90% to be sure , my max HR is 189 bpm , and i do not let my HR hit more than 174-176 bpm as you can see in my post before.. 😀, and it only hit for a few second on 174-176 

here is the graphDay before yesterdayDay before yesterday

YesterdayYesterday

Best Answer

IMG_2601.png

Reinhartz,

Still skeptical, but if you feel safe doing it, carry on. It seems you have it under control...

Best Answer

Thanks for your concern blush , you're the best

Best Answer

Reinhartz,

My pleasure.

- Blu$h

Best Answer
0 Votes

There is an old book  "Total Fitness in 30 minutes a week"  and a question in the book is "Fit for what?"   In the fine print in the middle of the book it does mention that the 30 minutes is no joke but doesn't include that you have to stand up 2 hours a day in gravity.   But the 2 hours standing can be while you push a cart around Walmart.    Laurence E Morehouse PhD and Leonad Gross wrote the book and the fitness program for our astronauts.  He also designed equipment for them to use, all so they would still be fit when they got back home on earth and needed to walk off the ship in gravity.   Even then he valued heart rate  but would find constant monotering unnecessary I'm sure.   He that that you could learn what  moderate or intense felt like after a while.  Anyway running isn't necessary.  I recommend the book.    Glenda

Best Answer

I just ordered a treadmill from Sears they are going to deliver and set the treadmill 

Best Answer

Hi there Blondie3384; Short answer, No! Running will whare you out;Physically. Not good for knees, joints, feet, ankles, ligaments. Better to walk than run. Varry your speed and stride while you walk. As you age, running will start to show its negativity. You now need to choose your walking coarse and time.

Good Luck.

Mike V. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@mvega wrote:

Hi there Blondie3384; Short answer, No! Running will whare you out;Physically. Not good for knees, joints, feet, ankles, ligaments. Better to walk than run. Varry your speed and stride while you walk. As you age, running will start to show its negativity. You now need to choose your walking coarse and time.

Good Luck.

Mike V. 

@mvega: Where did you read or get the information about the negativity/Problems about running? I would appreciate if you could provide any links to support what you have said. 

thanks

Bhuvana

Best Answer
0 Votes
mvega: I must disagree with your answer that running will wear you out.
Running is the most efficient and cost effective method of getting into
shape. All you really need is a good pair of running shoes that match you
running style and a place to run. Walking is also good but one must walk
at a pace that elevates their HR into their training zone for 30-40 minutes
at least 4 times per week. True, running can cause problems, I ran for 25
years, 7 miles per day everyday, year in, year out. I gave it up after
developing some foot problems due to my running style, but to tell someone
that running will wear them out is just FALSE! Just because you don't run,
or don't like to run, doesn't mean running is bad for everyone. In a
previous post I stated that you don't have to run to become fit, but I sure
wouldn't discourage anyone from running to become fit.
Best Answer

I don't run because of a bad knee. I walk 5Ks, walk at local parks and during lunch. I do exercise videos at home, swim and occassionally climb Stone Mountain (I can go up but not down, stupid knee!). Zumba is a good way to burn calories as well as riding a bike, roller skating, and so on. I think as long as we stay active and burn more calories than we take in we'll be fine.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi.. I can understand your difficulty in accomodating your active life style to treadmil.. but.. i like to say that if you are keeping an inclation of 12-15, you can find yourself some challenge.... Just give a try

Best Answer
0 Votes

Really what running does is it lets your heart muscle work a little harder for a while longer than normal. And this is absolutely vital, as your heart will give out if it's really weak, but there are other ways of doing cardio or even just getting your heart-rate up a little bit than running. 

Hope this was helpful!

Best Answer

Rachel1827:  I totally agree.  One must elevate their HR to their training zone for at least 30 minutes 4 times per week to get the benefits from cardio training.  Any exercise they can do that satisfies those critera will give them the cardio benefits.

Best Answer
0 Votes