Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you have to run to be fit?

About 3 years ago, I started the couch to 5k program and completed it, and then progressed to easily running 5k around 3 times a week, and even managed a couple of 10k charity runs.  But I since moved to a small village, where running at night is so boring, because it's the same loop over and over again - and it's very dark, eventhough I'm all lit up.  And now, because I've not been commited to running, I have lost all progress.  I find it very hard to run even 20 minutes without feeling really uncomfortable.

I try treadmill running, but find that dull.  But I've got into classes - I love body combat, and pilates.  

I could restart the couch to 5k program at around week 4, where I can manage the runs and have a sense of accomplishment, but then as it's on a treadmill, I'm really not sure I'd enjoy it.  And you have to enjoy what you do...

But can you still be fit by doing other things - if I traded running for something like zumba, which I think would be good fun!  I just have it in my head that to be fit, you need to run, but I'm hoping that's not true!

Best Answer
163 REPLIES 163

I often wear a chest strap during my runs. I run with a HR of 170-180bpm, sometimes 190. I'm not completely breathless. To avoid these HR I should run only 2km because after that it is high or I should do something like walking fast. But that is not running. Tried that an it was really exhausting, with pain in my legs due to too long contact to the floor. During Nordic Walking my HR is 150-160bpm. Obviously I have higher HR. The worst thing that could happen is that I collapse and lie dead on the floor.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I found running helped to shift weight fast, but I can highly recommend Yoga and in particular Power Yoga which definitely helps considerbly in increasing strength and burning off some weight at the same time, an all round great exercise for the whole body.    Can highly recommend Rodney Yee DVDs etc. but their's tons of good yoga workouts on YouTube as well.

Best Answer

You most definitely do not need to run to be fit! I know this what you are used to...so now that you are not doing it, it seems strange and you feel as if you are not keeping fit and healthy.  But I can tell you for one that I do not care to run...like at all! LOL I'm a health and fitness coach and I have recently discoered that I love lifting weights.  I do as much cardio as I need to stay fit, which is usually once or twice a week, but most of the time I'm only lifting weights.  I never run and I'm very fit! You do whatever activity makes you happy and keeps you going and as long as you are staying active somehow you will keep fit and healthy!

Best Answer

Glenda:  Good luck with Total Fitness in 30 minutes a week.  It's a fallacy!

Best Answer

I don't think you have to run to be fit, but I like to run. I hated it at first but now I run 5 miles (outdoors) and at 47, I get a feeling of accomplishment when I'm done. I've lifted weights for 20 years and I still enjoy that but running for my cardio excercise is much more interesting for me than being on a treadmill or eliptical machine.

"Why are we here? Because we're here." - Neil Peart
Best Answer

It's not true! I know several people who lost weight and got in good shape with zumba and no running! I can modify down some zumba moves and do it low impact. I have some issues with heel pain.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I like to walk on treadmill or dancing to a workout or to my music, but it seems to have the opisite affect on me 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I guess you don't have to run to be fit. But I can tell you running is perhaps the best body weight exercise you can do. It is an all round exercise. So running will surely bring you more fitness and healthy benefits.

Best Answer

No you do not have to run to be fit. 

Oddly enough I can't run, I get to about half a city block and have to stop. Unless the temp. outside is in the 20's then I can run non-stop to escape the cold. lol

Anyhow, you can get your body and heart amped up just the same doing other cardio workouts maybe even more than plain running. I do Step-up, Kickboxing, BodyShred and Triple Threat for about 80-90 min., 4 x's a week. One class alone a day gets me going and is enough to be fit. But if you're just into it then adding more wont hurt.. after you get used to it. You will actually work out more muscles in your legs with the steps, squats and kicks in various classes as well as work out arms and core!

Best Answer
0 Votes
yeyaloba: only one comment avoid full squats because during a full squat
the 4 ligaments that support your knees are all lax and will give little or
no dynamic stability. limit your squats to half squats.
Best Answer

Not at all! I walk, a lot. Stopped running because of the impact issues on the knees. And started to look around and research exercise more thoroughly. What i found was enlightening. I highly recommend walking and also the book "the 4 hour body" by Tim Ferris. It's a great book and he shows you that you dont need to pound away on the roads or punish yourself in the gym to be fit and strong. I used to run a fair bit and beat myself up if i didnt make 5 sessions in the gym a week. Now, i walk every day, do kettle bell swings twice a week and 20 mins of weights once a week. And im as good as i was with all the gym and running. 

Best Answer

I wish I could still run. Well I can but it isnt nice to my knees! But still keep fit by cycling, swimming, walking and dancing. I used to go to the gym and did treadmill, stationary bike, rowing and eliptical at different times but I never worked out how to make it pleasurable, whereas being outside and moving is pleasurable for me.  But the weather can be a problem for outdoor activities. I reackon do what you enjoy and you are much more likely to keep at it.

Community Council Member

Helen | Western Australia

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer

Netrat:  I agree with you as long as you walk fast enough to keep your HR within your training zone and continue for at least 30 minutes at least 4 times per week.  Training zone: 220 minus your age multiplied by 75%.  Example 50 years old, 220-50 = 170x75% equals 128 HR.

Best Answer
0 Votes

The thing that makes running so "good" for fitness is that it gets your heart rate up, moves your muscles and warms them up, and it requires almost no equipment. It's convenient, so people find it very easy to get into. It's also easy to track, so you can see yourself improve and that is motivating as well. If you don't like running, you can do literally anything that gets you moving and it will be just as good.

I am personally a fan of weight lifting. It doesn't have the same calorie burn capabilities as straight cardio, but it challenges me, gets my heart rate up for 30-45 minutes a few times a week, and it's exciting to work my way up to lifting more weight. If your focus is on burning calories quickly, some form of cardio is your best option, but you should cater your exercises to the types of movements and abilities that you want your body to support.

If you want to be good at running, or able to walk for miles without any discomfort, then you'll need to walk/run regularly. There's no getting around that. But any form of cardio at a challenging intensity will improve heart health, and there's also strength and mobility that will make your body healthier and stronger in other ways.

Best Answer

All I ever do is walk really. This weekend I walked 19.3 miles. I burned off over 2,000 calories. You shouldn't have to run to be fit, no, probably not. Walking works just fine for me.

Best Answer
0 Votes

My endurance and cardiovascular fitness is horrible. So I am on machines for now until I build my endurance and stuff. But I do cardio to increase my overall health and I would like to participate in marathons in the future. Overall what I do, dieting and exercising, is to live healthier and be stronger. 🙂

Twenty something nursing student ❤ | Charge 2 | iPhone | Windows 8.1
Best Answer

You can build your endurance on the machines, but if you plan on marathons you need to run on pavement. The pavement doesn't provide any cushion like a treadmill, and will take some practice to get used to it. Once you feel capable, run a 5k race. Then increase it to 10k, then half marathon before jumping to the marathon. Your first marathon may be pretty hard on the body, so be prepared for that. You can do it.

Best Answer

No come join me be fit

@blondie3384 wrote:

About 3 years ago, I started the couch to 5k program and completed it, and then progressed to easily running 5k around 3 times a week, and even managed a couple of 10k charity runs.  But I since moved to a small village, where running at night is so boring, because it's the same loop over and over again - and it's very dark, eventhough I'm all lit up.  And now, because I've not been commited to running, I have lost all progress.  I find it very hard to run even 20 minutes without feeling really uncomfortable.

I try treadmill running, but find that dull.  But I've got into classes - I love body combat, and pilates.  

I could restart the couch to 5k program at around week 4, where I can manage the runs and have a sense of accomplishment, but then as it's on a treadmill, I'm really not sure I'd enjoy it.  And you have to enjoy what you do...

But can you still be fit by doing other things - if I traded running for something like zumba, which I think would be good fun!  I just have it in my head that to be fit, you need to run, but I'm hoping that's not true!

Best Answer
0 Votes

@cupcake6467It's all about activity at any age.. 10 minutes at a time is all that is needed. When you think of the alternatives as we age. You achieved your 5k's and it is positive you are looking for alternatives.  You have done it before and you will succeed again..

As I age, I feel, what I can't do now.. Leaving my physiotherapist yesterday, we were talking about that..Exercises etc to help tone an aging body.. He said "Use it or lose it".  That happened to my late father who developed osteoarthritis in the lower spine as a result of an injury and was told to keep moving.. He didn't and was in a wheel chair at 67... and spent the next 20 years like that. 

This link to CDC is their recommendation...

Last night the TV Documentary, "The Doctor who gave up Drugs", was examining the over use of antibiotics, painkillers etc. and he is now going to examine activity for heart attack victims in the next episode..  This doctor is part of the Dr Mosley team from the TV series "Trust me, I'm a Doctor".

All the best from down under...

Colin:Victoria, Australia
Ionic (OS 4.2.1, 27.72.1.15), Android App 3.45.1, Premium, Phone Sony Xperia XA2, Android 9.0
Best Answer
0 Votes

There is so much you can do to stay fit! Just recently I stopped running to focus more on weights and have transitioned into HIIT workouts. The break was great but now I am itching to run again and although I haven't run in a while it shouldn't take me long to get back to where I was..  Try new things it's empowering...  Good luck

Best Answer